Stasis or bad mood? Please help!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnibuns

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a 4 year old Holland lop (Finny), who is an angel and usually very tolerant of things! Yesterday, we got back from a 2 day trip into the city, where we kept him in a pop-up camping pen temporarily.
Yesterday he was fine, but my family was hosting a wedding after-party (which we were out of town for), so we had more noise and more guests. He's never jazzed about this, but he's usually alright.
Today I woke up, and his hay was untouched (normally empty but not always), and he didn't care for breakfast. Usually I have to hold him back.
He's been in a mood all day. I tried letting him out of his pen to run, and he walked about but fell asleep behind a chair. I had to put him back in his pen eventually (which I got some foot slicks out of), and he's been hiding in the crate that's in his pen, where his litter box is.
He just seems to not be feeling good, but he's taking oatmeal just fine. (I use it as his main treat, he usually doesn't get fruit as treats.)
I can't tell if this is just a mood from the traveling and guests, because he does seem to be unusually unhappy with me, or if he's sick and I need to see his vet.
Please help!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240429_012348895.jpg
    PXL_20240429_012348895.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Rabbits definitely can get upset and show they aren't happy with something we did. But usually they won't go more than a few hours before they're eating again. A rabbit that's mostly stopped eating for a prolonged period, then becomes a concern for being at risk of developing GI stasis.

The stress from the change of your rabbits routine and environment for the last few days, could also be the cause for the lack of appetite and lethargy. Stress can affect a rabbits digestive system by altering the delicate microbial balance and also causing slowed digestive motility. Stress that's too excessive or prolonged, can put a rabbit at risk of developing GI stasis and/or enteritis.

If your rabbit isn't back to eating and behaving normally by morning, I would for sure suggest making sure your rabbit is seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet asap that day. As an emergency if necessary. A rabbit not eating sufficiently for more than 12-24 hours, is usually considered an emergency.

https://rabbit.org/care/gi-stasis/

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Texas

Latest posts

Back