Stasis (Again), So It Seems....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenk wrote:
Luv-bunniz wrote:
Have you talked to your vet about a hay-only diet? with just a few greens as treats every now and again?
Actually, the vet wondered if greens (or even one particular type) may be upsetting her gut.  She recommended that if Emma experienced stasis again (which it seems that she is; she's passing fecals half of their normal size and some strung by a thick rope of fur), I give sub-Qs and wait 24 hours' to see if they make a difference.

She also suggested that I then try hay only for 6-8 weeks' and then re-introduce greens one at a time (feeding each for 6-8 weeks').  But, good gravy, I'm scared to make any dietary changes.  (I did once have Emma on a hay-only diet for six weeks'--before stasis ever started--and she got too thin; so that's a concern, too. :()
If you are at the point where you think its best to have her PTS, I would. [[hugs]]
I burst into tears reading your statement; I really don't want to exercise that option.  But I'm not sure what else to do.  My husband's brought in our only income for the past 10 months'.  (I worked part-time from last Jan.-Mar.)  So I must listen to him gripe about all of our money going for rabbit health issues, while I shoulder the emotional burden.  (I handle all three buns' diets and, thus, feel like it's my fault that I've not been able to make a difference in the past six months'; I'm fearful of changing/doing anything anymore....We don't know the cause.)

I'm thinking of "splurging" just once more on tests (x-rays of her mouth and again on her gut to see where the slowdown may be)--and possibly blood work, if it can show determine a possible electrolyte imbalance.  (Can such an imbalance alone can cause repetitive stasis?)
What greens is she being fed?
PS.Sorry, I didnt mean to upset you :(

polly wrote:
I'll tell you what I told Flashy, and I'm being brutally honest here (so please don't flame me for it): I would be bitter as hell if someone else could take over and help Emma in some way that I could not. I've given up so much (including a writing business, that I'd tried to get off the ground when all of this began), that I would just taste bile if another human being could come along and find just the right solution for dealing with Emma's issues; it wouldn't seem fair--not after all that we've sacrificed in trying to find the issue and help her.

I am sorry Jenk but I find that appalling not fair to you maybe for Emma its probably one of the best things you could do. you talk about having her pts after this statement its like saying well i would rather kill an innocent rabbit than have someone else help her because I have spent so much money on her. Well thats animals for you. The rest of it sounds more like you trying to justify it to yourself. ANd i know that will probably anger you and you will say well u don't know etc well believe me I have had many problems and spent much much money on vets as have many others here. it cost me over $1000 dollars just to have mine vaccinated for Myxi then double it for the VHD and do that because its better for them

You have had some fantatsic suggestions through the number of threads you have put up on this issue but you are to scared to try them well put it another way you have seen the worst that can happen so what are you scared of? if you don't try the suggestions then you are gonna be stuck in the same situation you are in now. I do not understand why you are scared to add vanilla to water she is already having problems it could be enough to work and help you out if not that one of the other suggestions. WHy not try giving a bit of mint which is known to help digestion and stomach problems.

ALso I thinkFlashy is right if you are stressed the whole time then if you have a sensitive bun its gonna pick up on it and that is something only you can sort.

I am sorry if this post upsets you its not my aim at all I just feel that so many people have tried so hard to give you ideas yet all or most have been disregarded. A lot cheaper than vets!! I also wonder just how savvy your vets are to let you spend that much money but not be able to do much to help other than put your rabbit on a drug its becoming dependent on.

I'll jump in here to say that my initial response toJenk today was way to strong and probably caused her to bcome more agitated and say things that she would never do. I don't know if Jenk really means what sheis saying but it just may be her method of letting off steam by talking this way.

If anything she has been overly responsible with her rabbits and has neither euthanized anyone or done anything wrong whatsoever. She has only been venting.
I guarantee that none of this would have occured if I had not been abrupt with her in my initial post this AM and I apologize for that.
Maureen

polly wrote:
I am sorry Jenk but I find that appalling not fair to you maybe for Emma its probably one of the best things you could do. you talk about having her pts after this statement its like saying well i would rather kill an innocent rabbit than have someone else help her because I have spent so much money on her. Well thats animals for you. The rest of it sounds more like you trying to justify it to yourself. ANd i know that will probably anger you and you will say well u don't know etc well believe me I have had many problems and spent much much money on vets as have many others here. it cost me over $1000 dollars just to have mine vaccinated for Myxi then double it for the VHD and do that because its better for them.
I stand by my opinion, which wasn't arrived at lightly but over a long, stressful span of time. Think what you want; you're equally entitled to yours.

I've an example to share: My parents have a neighbor who recently had their purebred dog PTS. The reason? The dog had nothing but medical issues from day #1, and the family could no longer afford them. They also figured that not many other potential owners would want a dog that had so many problems.

I've not made any official decision at this time.

Personally, I think it's insane to spend $8,000 in 14 months' time, when we humans could really use some of that money for our own needs. I don't find it noble/necessary to spend that kind of money just to have the companionship of an animal. There should be limits without a person feeling badly for making a less-than-savory decision.
You have had some fantatsic suggestions through the number of threads you have put up on this issue but you are to scared to try them well put it another way you have seen the worst that can happen so what are you scared of? if you don't try the suggestions then you are gonna be stuck in the same situation you are in now. I do not understand why you are scared to add vanilla to water she is already having problems it could be enough to work and help you out if not that one of the other suggestions. WHy not try giving a bit of mint which is known to help digestion and stomach problems.
I have tried manyof the suggestions in the past(e.g., adding unsweetened apple juice to water; adding canned pumpkin to greens; etc.);nothing made a noticeable difference. (I do recall her fecals improving slightly for aday, or so, after having apple juice added to her water; but then then decreased in size again. :?)

ALso I thinkFlashy is right if you are stressed the whole time then if you have a sensitive bun its gonna pick up on it and that is something only you can sort.
I would like to see any first-time bun owner not stress out over the issues that we've experienced over the last 16 months'. There was a time when she didn't have stasis, and I only had to worry over another bun's megacolon/ileus.
I am sorry if this post upsets you its not my aim at all I just feel that so many people have tried so hard to give you ideas yet all or most have been disregarded. A lot cheaper than vets!! I also wonder just how savvy your vets are to let you spend that much money but not be able to do much to help other than put your rabbit on a drug its becoming dependent on.
Again, I've already tried many of them (except for giving sub-Qs myself at home). I use Simethicone and evenMetacam at times. I'veyet to see a huge difference. :(

Oh, it's not a case of the first vet not being rabbit-savvy; it's more a case of greed. That's my (and my hubby's) opinion, based on a lot of hindsight....The first vet wanted a follow-up visit for every visit that I initiated; and I went along with him, thinking that I should (that I needed to). He also charges a set fee for every visit and every follow-up visit. (Soif you're just returning to have a follow-up test run a week or two later,he'll still go through the motions of an exam so as to justify charging a follow-up visit fee.)

My current vet is more willing to listen to me and is actually understanding about costs.

Luv-bunniz wrote:
What greens is she being fed?
PS.Sorry, I didnt mean to upset you :(
Currently, she's been eating parsley (curly and plain), mint leaves and red-leaf lettuce. (In the past, she's had Romaine and endive lettuce--along with the parsley and mint, depending upon what's fresh/available at the store.)I couldn't tell you if any one green specifically causes her digestive issues.

No, don't apologize; I know that you didn't mean to upset me. Honest.It's just that I'm so upset at even the fact that I'm considering the possibility of euthanasia (sp). So when you essentially repeated back my own words to me, it hit me even harder. (It is again, dang it....:tears2:)

angieluv wrote:
I'll jump in here to say that my initial response toJenk today was way to strong and probably caused her to bcome more agitated and say things that she would never do. I don't know if Jenk really means what sheis saying but it just may be her method of letting off steam by talking this way.
No, Maureen, you weren't. In hindsight, your response wasn't too strong. You're coming from the same place that I normally come from when advising people about their pets.

Case in point: My parentswere thisclose to having their non-friendly cat euthanized due to a serious mite infestation of their home. My parents have serious health issues when it comes tobeing affected by mites and the pesticides needed to treat their home. (They've had four mite infestations now, as my mom's immune system is shot, and she seems to just attract mites like you wouldn't believe. They use her as a host, even if it's a type of mite that doesn't normally attack humans.)

So what did they do? They've gone $15K+ in debt in order to treat their animals, treat themselves, treat their home (multiple times this time around alone) and replace all oftheir carpeting, so that the mites had less surface area in which to hang out. My parents are also paying $2K to have their dog and cat boarded (and treated for mites), as they need to be separated entirely from the animals for the sake of their own health.

I talked my mom out of euthanizing their cat; but I look at their impending debt and ask myself, Was it worth it? Again, I think that there's a line in the sand that's sane to cross when necessary.
If anything she has been overly responsible with her rabbits and has neither euthanized anyone or done anything wrong whatsoever. She has only been venting.
I guarantee that none of this would have occured if I had not been abrupt with her in my initial post this AM and I apologize for that.
That's part of my problem: feeling overly responsible for their care, feeling at fault whenever something I try doesn't help (and it's back to the vet's again).

I have been venting, yes; I have been considering euthanasia (sp), yes; I'm still just sitting tight (albeit stressfully). Now that my hubby's truck has a pricey problem to be fixed (and we're currently down to one vehicle), my stress level has exceeded the rooftop. I feel like my hands are always tied: If I return to work (which I need to do), then no one will be here to catch Emma's issues early, by which time she could start stasis. I feel like I'm caught in a Catch-22 and don't understand how others who deal with such cyclical stasis issues keep their heads on straight. :?

HI, this is a completely non-rabbit related post, but a human one. Jenk, I feel if your anxiety is addressed it will absolutely change your life.

This is a post I have decided to post PUBLICLY rather than PRIVATELY because I believe if it can help more people, that is great.

A little background info: I have ADD (attention deficit disorder) which is a neurological condition. It is neither bad nor good, but has caused me to have anxiety issues as well. Many of our forum members here have anxiety or depression, which is not surprising considering almost three quarters of people in America/Canada alone have these conditions. They are widespread.

The first thing to realize with anxiety, is that while people that suffer from it do not enjoy the effects of it (worrying, nausea, pain that comes with anxiety) they often ENJOY ruminating.

"Have you ever been stressed all day because you can’t stop thinking of something unfair that happened that morning? Or the previous week? This human tendency to obsess, trying to work things out in one's mind, is common. When these thoughts turn more negative and brooding, that's known as rumination."
http://stress.about.com/od/psychologicalconditions/a/rumination.htm

Please read the above article, it is short - so take the time.

One thing I had to personally deal with was first the rumination, then I had to address the idea of detachment. When people say "Jonny was detached yesterday" for example, they often mean it in a negative way. HOWEVER when we become over involved or obsessed with something, it is of absolute importance to learn to detach. This is what you need to do right now for your rabbits. I am not saying neglect them, avoid vet appointments etc, just detach.

What is detachment?

Detachment is the:

• Ability to allow people, places, or things the freedom to be themselves.

• Holding back from the need to rescue, save, or fix another person (or creature) from being sick, dysfunctional, or irrational.

• Willingness to accept that you cannot change or control a person, place, or thing.

• Developing and maintaining of a safe, emotional distance from someone (or something) whom you have previously given a lot of power to affect your emotional outlook on life.

• Establishing of emotional boundaries between you and those people you have become overly enmeshed or dependent with in order that all of you might be able to develop your own sense of autonomy and independence.

• Process by which you are free to feel your own feelings when you see another person (or creature) falter and fail and not be led by guilt to feel responsible for their failure or faltering.

• Ability to maintain an emotional bond of love, concern, and caring without the negative results of rescuing, enabling, fixing, or controlling.

• Placing of all things in life into a healthy, rational perspective and recognizing that there is a need to back away from the uncontrollable and unchangeable realities of life.

• Ability to exercise emotional self-protection and prevention so as not to experience greater emotional devastation from having hung on beyond a reasonable and rational point.

• Ability to let people you love and care for accept personal responsibility for their own actions and to practice tough love and not give in when they come to you to bail them out when their actions lead to failure or trouble for them.

• Ability to allow people to be who they "really are'' rather than who you "want them to be.''

• Ability to avoid being hurt, abused, taken advantage of by people who in the past have been overly dependent or enmeshed with you.

What are the negative effects not detaching?

If you are unable to detach from people, places, or things, then you:

• Will have people, places, or things which become over-dependent on you.

• Run the risk of being manipulated to do things for people, at places, or with things, which you do not really want to do.

• Can become an obsessive ``fix it'' who needs to fix everything you perceive to be imperfect.

• Run the risk of performing tasks because of the intimidation you experience from people, places, or things.

• Will most probably become powerless in the face of the demands of the people, places, or things whom you have given the power to control you.

• Will be blind to the reality that the people, places, or things which control you are the uncontrollables and unchangeables you need to let go of if you are to become a fully healthy, coping individual.

• Will be easily influenced by the perception of helplessness which these people, places, or things project.

• Might become caught up with your idealistic need to make everything perfect for people, places, or things important to you even if it means your own life becomes unhealthy.

• Run the risk of becoming out of control of yourself and experience greater low self-esteem as a result.

• Will most probably put off making a decision and following through on it, if you rationally recognize your relationship with a person, place, or thing is unhealthy and the only recourse left is to get out of the relationship.

• Will be so driven by guilt and emotional dependence that the sickness in the relationship will worsen.

• Run the risk of losing your autonomy and independence and derive your value or worth solely from the unhealthy relationship you continue in with the unhealthy person, place, or thing.

Again, please please read the above link. It will take some time but could change your life, it tells you how to develop detachment in 12 steps. Print it out, and read it everday until you understand/or are willing.

I spent years of time and money identifying the above and discovering the information those two links provide. Please don't disregard it- it really will change your life if you are ready to let that happen.

I believe and always have believed that the first part of being a good pet owner is taking care of yourself. If one of my pets is feeling ill and so am I, I will take care of myself first. They have to wait. If I need to work but their litterboxes need to be changed etc, that can wait. I will do my work. It is of utmost importance to take care of yourself- the animals perceive you are the Alpha and if the aplha is falling apart or is feeling stress/fear, it REALLY unnerves them and will send them into a spiral of fear, doubt and insecurity. If their alpha is falling apart, who will lead the pack? For some people this is purpose alone to re-evaluate their lives. When I am taking care of my business, my animals take care of theirs. If I approach them with low stress levels, they will give me affection. But if I raise my voice on the phone or cry, they will start to stomp or hide, and if I am dwelling on something and not taking care of my own business, they will shut down.

I hope this helps somewhat. I am sad at seeing you go through this Jenk, every post you make touches on these concerns and it is obviously tormenting you. I am not saying that Emma does not have a condition. But I am giving you some information that could help in dealing with it and coping. angeluv/Maureen is absolutely right - many people have disabled/ill pets but they will cope. My own Sass has an undiagnosed condition that jumps up anytime, I never know when or how often, how severe. But he has 10 great days to every one awful day, and I enjoy those good days with him. When he has an awful day, I believe in myself and him, I do what I can for him knowing it is the best thing and continue with my business. It is sad and hard, but life goes on and he will too. We do what is in our control and give up the rest.

I sincerely hope this helps you, or anyone else that reads this.

dquesnel wrote:
Jenk, I feel if your anxiety is addressed it will absolutely change your life.
I agree.
The first thing to realize with anxiety, is that while people that suffer from it do not enjoy the effects of it (worrying, nausea, pain that comes with anxiety) they often ENJOY ruminating.
Guilty, as charged. :(

I explain it this way: I feel as though I have a split mind; one half knows that my anxiety (and the thoughts generally propelled by it) is unhealthyon numerous levels; the other half consists of paralyzing fear thattends to override the commensense half of my bean. :?

"Have you ever been stressed all day because you can’t stop thinking of something unfair that happened that morning? Or the previous week? This human tendency to obsess, trying to work things out in one's mind, is common. When these thoughts turn more negative and brooding, that's known as rumination."

In a sense, yes. My hubby is amused that, when I worked full-time, I could gripe about some other driver every single evening. I realized that still having my mind focused on a past experience is a form of rumination; but it's hard to stop such thoughts (as you know).
http://stress.about.com/od/psychologicalconditions/a/rumination.htm

I'vedone so and have also saved it to myFavorites.

...When we become over involved or obsessed with something, it is of absolute importance to learn to detach. This is what you need to do right now for your rabbits. I am not saying neglect them, avoid vet appointments etc, just detach.

I'm definitely guilty of such over-involvement (which I've learned from observing my parents, both of whom suffer from--you guessed it--anxiety).

The explanation of detachment (and non-detachment) are helpful; I need to go over them more frequently to let them truly sink in, though. It's getting over the fear of letting go (the What if? factor) that I find especially difficult and even scary. (No surprise there, I suppose. Believe it or not, I can observe the anxiety in my own posts; there's an awareness there, but the anxiety overrules the commonsense, as I've mentioned.)

I promise to read/save this article, too.
It will take some time but could change your life, it tells you how to develop detachment in 12 steps. Print it out, and read it everday until you understand/or are willing.
Besides following 12 steps, I could stand to have a viable exercise routine to burn off some stress, as well.
I spent years of time and money identifying the above and discovering the information those two links provide. Please don't disregard it- it really will change your life if you are ready to let that happen.
I'm willing for change; I'm even willing to work at overcoming the fear of letting go (detaching) from anxious thoughts. I truly want a better life with my rabbits (and in general--no more fretting over other drivers, etc.).

I believe and always have believed that the first part of being a good pet owner is taking care of yourself. If one of my pets is feeling ill and so am I, I will take care of myself first. They have to wait.

I actually feel anxious just reading your last two statements (above). At the same time, they also make complete sense to me (again, that split-brain thinking).
It is of utmost importance to take care of yourself- the animals perceive you are the Alpha and if the aplha is falling apart or is feeling stress/fear, it REALLY unnerves them and will send them into a spiral of fear, doubt and insecurity. If their alpha is falling apart, who will lead the pack? For some people this is purpose alone to re-evaluate their lives. When I am taking care of my business, my animals take care of theirs. If I approach them with low stress levels, they will give me affection. But if I raise my voice on the phone or cry, they will start to stomp or hide, and if I am dwelling on something and not taking care of my own business, they will shut down.
You're preaching to the one half of my brain that understands this truth. LOL I've limited the number of times that I check on my bunners and don't visit RO more often than I can handle. But I must confess that I only got two hours' sleep last night because my male bun started showing signs of serious gut discomfort. I attempted to "let go" by going to bed right after his second dose of Simethicone. But I awoke at 3 am to the sound of him flopping in discomfort; so I then got on the floor with him from 3-7 am (and didn't get any real sleep).

My thoughts tend to work this way: Can't wake hubby to run a bun to the ER; neither of us can justify the cost on top of what we've spent (and still spend at times) on vet care. But if I fall asleep while lying next to my boy, he could expire without my knowledge because I wasn't awake to tend to his pain. (Rather askewed, I know.)

I am sad at seeing you go through this Jenk, every post you make touches on these concerns and it is obviously tormenting you. I am not saying that Emma does not have a condition. But I am giving you some information that could help in dealing with it and coping.
Yes, my postsrather drip with anxiety much of the time. :( I don'tmean for them to, but nonethless...

Part of my stress comes from so little solid facts being known about rabbits. Every rabbit-savvy owner/vet/rescuer/etc. seems to hold a differing opinion on the same issue. I find itvery stressful, not knowing whom to believe. (I'm also stressed that so many RO membersstrongly dislike regular use of motility drugs, while I know that using them in the past gave me a sense of peace--of control, even. Stasis makes me feel rather out-of-control.)
angeluv/Maureen is absolutely right - many people have disabled/ill pets but they will cope.
What's stressful for me is the fact that Ididn't start out with two healthy rabbits. One had issues within the firstmonth; so when Emma's issues started, I felt(and feel) doubly defeated. It's one thing to have a healthy animal for a good spell, and then have to deal with some form ofdisability/illness later. To be hit with such issues so early on in my bun ownership experience has been very hard on me (again, I'm guessing esp. due to my anxiety).
My own Sass has an undiagnosed condition that jumps up anytime, I never know when or how often, how severe. But he has 10 great days to every one awful day, and I enjoy those good days with him. When he has an awful day, I believe in myself and him, I do what I can for him knowing it is the best thing and continue with my business. It is sad and hard, but life goes on and he will too. We do what is in our control and give up the rest.
Control and give up...Terms that conflictwith one another in my brain. I want to control the situations with my pets' health--even though I know that I don't truly have that power. It's in the trying that I somehow feel vindicated. Buttrying to the point of spending too much of our savings isn't a good thing, I know.

I'm now going to visit your second link. (Thank you, btw, for all of the fantastic information. :hug:)

I know what that is like. Think about it like this Ringo is ALWAYS sick. He has his good days but there is still ALOT I have to do for him. It is never ending.

So everytime someone is ill it is more I have to do. I have had up to 4 sick or hurt or whatever at the same time. With 14 different animals trust me someone is always sick.

I sometimes don't know where to start. I want to just walk out and not look back. Than I think of the good times and somehow I know I will be ok and so will they.

Jenk wrote:
angeluv/Maureen is absolutely right - many people have disabled/ill pets but they will cope.
What's stressful for me is the fact that Ididn't start out with two healthy rabbits. One had issues within the firstmonth; so when Emma's issues started, I felt (and feel) doubly defeated. It's one thing to have a healthy animal for a good spell, and then have to deal with some form ofdisability/illness later. To be hit with such issues so early on in my bun ownership experience has been very hard on me (again, I'm guessing esp. due to my anxiety).
My own Sass has an undiagnosed condition that jumps up anytime, I never know when or how often, how severe. But he has 10 great days to every one awful day, and I enjoy those good days with him. When he has an awful day, I believe in myself and him, I do what I can for him knowing it is the best thing and continue with my business. It is sad and hard, but life goes on and he will too. We do what is in our control and give up the rest.
Control and give up...Terms that conflictwith one another in my brain. I want to control the situations with my pets' health--even though I know that I don't truly have that power. It's in the trying that I somehow feel vindicated. Buttrying to the point of spending too much of our savings isn't a good thing, I know.

I'm now going to visit your second link. (Thank you, btw, for all of the fantastic information. :hug:)

I just wanted to say that rabbits are hard pets to have.

I am anxious a lot of the time about something going on with my rabbits ..right now it is Beau because of his eye and last winter it was Babette(RIP) who was sick the entire fall and winter and I had PTS :(last June as she had no mobility and developed a pressure sore from some kind of spinal problem. (she was an older rabbit).
If one of my rabbits stops pooping or has smaller poops I get a fist of anxietyin my gut and immediately become anxious. The difference is that at this point I generally know how to start some kind of treatment myself whether it be simethicone , fluids, pineapple juice etc. and most of the time the problems resolves ..although I go to the vet also

A lot of the key to reducing my anxiety is to learn as much as I can about rabbits as that gives me more control when they are sick. So knowledge give me some security.

ifI learn enough I know that experts on all sides disagree on different things and then I decide on what I'm going to do as I feel I have knowledge from all sides. I learn to differentiatebetween freliable and poor sources of info.

Ithink that I could also benefilt fromall the info in Denise's post as I am alsoanxious but not necessarily expressing it on the forum.

To be honest all of us seem to get really anxious when our pets are sick but there is a difference between constructive and destructive anxiety

JadeIcing wrote:
I know what that is like. Think about it like this Ringo is ALWAYS sick. He has his good days but there is still ALOT I have to do for him. It is never ending.
I just think that I stumble over the fact that I've had to deal with digestive issues from the start. I read as much as I could the first month that we had our girls--just before the issues began; yet I still felt very underprepared for the stress to come.
...I have had up to 4 sick or hurt or whatever at the same time. With 14 different animals trust me someone is always sick.
I think that I exceeded my limit by having four animals. Three of them have repetitive issues; now my fourth guy (third bun) is working through some digestive issues. It still feels like the Universe is "out to get me," in a sense. :?
I sometimes...want to just walk out and not look back. Than I think of the good times and somehow I know I will be ok and so will they.
For me, feeling that way is a sign that I've crossed a personal boundary, sacrificing my own well-being. (Again, four animals have proven to be my absolute maximum; anymore than that, and I'm ready for the Funny Farm. :p)

angieluv wrote:
I just wanted to say that rabbits are hard pets to have.
It's my own fault that I didn't do the proper research ahead of time (as I've normally done with all past animal species that have shared my home). Guess that was my first big boo-boo.

I've also since talked with people who've had rabbits as pets when they were kids who were so traumatized by early deaths of their pets, that they'll never again have them. (My parents' neighbor is a zookeeper; she stressed to my mom how "incredibly difficult" rabbits are in comparison to a cat or a dog; I can see her point, but I already knew that, since I now have three rabbits.)
If one of my rabbits stops pooping or has smaller poops I...immediately become anxious. The difference is that at this point I generally know how to start some kind of treatment myself whether it be simethicone , fluids, pineapple juice etc. and most of the time the problems resolves ..although I go to the vet also
I know to try Simethicone and/or Metacam. And now I'm fairly comfy with giving sub-Qs. But anxiety still rules, even when one feels knowledgeable; I can't explain why, though.

I can't afford the time/money for vet visits every 2-4 weeks', though. (I did that for a span of several months' and lost more money than I should have, due to one vet feeding my anxiety by always agreeing that something was slightly off with one of my buns during every visit.)

A lot of the key to reducing my anxiety is to learn as much as I can about rabbits as that gives me more control when they are sick. So knowledge give me some security.
I have much of the knowledge and, yet,feel less secure than I ought because of it.
To be honest all of us seem to get really anxious when our pets are sick but there is a difference between constructive and destructive anxiety
No disagreement there. It's just hard to get over the brain-split thing. :?

BTW, I'm very sorry that Beau's having bad eye issues. Please give him an extra hug and pets for me. :hearts:

Jenk wrote:

I think that I exceeded my limit by having four animals. Three of them have repetitive issues; now my fourth guy (third bun) is working through some digestive issues. It still feels like the Universe is "out to get me," in a sense. :?
I sometimes...want to just walk out and not look back. Than I think of the good times and somehow I know I will be ok and so will they.
For me, feeling that way is a sign that I've crossed a personal boundary, sacrificing my own well-being. (Again, four animals have proven to be my absolute maximum; anymore than that, and I'm ready for the Funny Farm. :p)

Trust me my husband is passed his max. I am to stubborn to have a max. Though I do plan (other than Elvis finding a friend) plan on letting it go down naturally.

Wait you don't live on a funny farm? What do you call this forum???:shock:

JadeIcing wrote:
Trust me my husband is passed his max. I am to stubborn to have a max. Though I do plan (other than Elvis finding a friend) plan on letting it go down naturally.
I used to be out-of-sync with my hubby on the maximum number of pets. But due to all of the stresses I have had (not him so much), we're more in agreement now. (I've already promised him that when our current brood is no longer with us, I'll got at least a year entirely pet-free.)
:biggrin2:

Jenk wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
I used to be out-of-sync with my hubby on the maximum number of pets. But due to all of the stresses I have had (not him so much), we're more in agreement now. (I've already promised him that when our current brood is no longer with us, I'll got at least a year entirely pet-free.)
:biggrin2:

I was in shock when with out a fuss Rob agreed Elvis needed a friend.

AH HA you don't deny it!

JadeIcing wrote:
I was in shock when with out a fuss Rob agreed Elvis needed a friend.

AH HA you don't deny it!
That's just like when my hubby admitted that I didn't really "need to twist [his] arm" for us to bring home our two girls. (Again, he wasn't exacly "on-board" with us getting a third bun, though; now I'm realizing why....:?)

Latest posts

Back