Starting to Show, Possibly Founding a Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TinysMom wrote:
First a quick question for Pam - and maybe this should go in the health area - but how can you tell if a doe has a uterine tumor? Symptoms?

Peg

In some cases, you can actually palpate the tumor in the uterus. More common indications are reproductive difficulties.

In many cases, the tumors are not discovered until a routine spay.

Here's more info and photos:

http://www.radil.missouri.edu/info/dora/RABBPAGE/neo.htm

Pam

Oh, ok! I thought that would be the norm, and certainly what I would do. I think what I plan on doing is having a few breeders, say, 3-4, then quality kits are kept for showing/future breeders. Remaining kits are rehomed, and if any "special" ones come my way that aren't up to showing par, they can still be pets, but altered. Thats going to be my problem, I'll end up keeping more pet ones than show ones, LOL.

Depending on what breed you raise, if you only have 3-4 does you probably won't have a lot of pet only rabbits, most of them will be show quality but again that depends on breed. We only have 20 holes (cages) at my house too, so I can afford to have sick or injured rabbits taken to the vet for treatment or euthanasia, And because I raise a very high demand breed of pet rabbit (flemish Giant) I usually sell more kits to pet homes than show homes any pet quality rabbits go to pet homes. If you live in an area where there aren't really any other breeders and very few pet stores that sell rabbits you may have people lined up for a pet one.

Julia

Back