Starting dreadlocks.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myia09 wrote:
And actually Jess, what is funny is that a lof of Africans and Hindu's find "regular" people wearing dreads as offensive because basically dreads were only given to the rights of an Preist.
Then in the Rasafarian, it was because of religion, and I have Jamacian friends who think that when white people or people of non-rastafarian religion wear them, it is an insult.

Wow, how ignorant and racist of them. Hair naturally dreads when you don't brush it. I'm not sure why anyone would find that offensive. If I run into someone who finds it offensive, I'll be sure to let them know that I find their offense offensive. :p My Muslim friends do not get offended when I wear a hijab. Maybe they're more tolerant.

To be clear, I'm not expecting people to just come out and be super awesome like Erika. I also didn't expect people to just blatantly be rude about it. It would be like if someone came on here and said, "Ew! You keep rabbits in the house? How gross! They smell!" Wherein some of us would get upset and some of us with better emotional control would educate them.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to go to a salon to have them done. I don't want them putting nasty products in my hair and what have you. I'll either let it dread up naturally, or get some friends to together and backcomb it a bit to kickstart it. The whole idea of dreadlocks (for me) isn't meant to be a fashion statement, but more of a (cue cheesy) lifestyle change. I mean, it definitely helps that they look boss.

:pullhair: <--- Maybe I should just this instead. :biggrin:

I don't have them personally, but I have friends that do. Backcombing tends to be the way to go from what I've heard. Twisting is harder to acheive with hair in caucasian people (I hate using racial terms, but you know what I mean with hair types). Just because of the texture and oil level differences.

So, I haven't brushed my hair in about 6 or 7 days and I've been twisting and ripping a bit. I've also been obsessively washing my hair (like that's new). I'm starting to knot up quite nicely! I'll have to post some pictures when I get a chance. Although I look like a crazed version of Medusa right now. :rofl:

you have to post a photo! I would love to dread my hair, but don't really have time for the commitment right now. I think you will look so cute with dreads!

I love the stereotype behind deadlocks that the person is into drugs, dirty and uneducated. When a guy at my school graduated Valedictorian (I think thats the name, for guys) and he had extremely long, CLEAN dreads.

If you want it, go ahead.. but because of those stupid stereotypes you have to be careful.

What do you plan to do when you have to take them out? Because if they're well established you'd most likely have to shave you head.

P.S, Lets see pictures of what you have so far :D

I dont know too much about it but I had a colleague who had dreadlocks for years. He started doing them when he had short hair and grew it so long that it went down to his waist. And he always smelled fine to me, and the look was great for him. I want to say, but I'm not sure, that he went to a place to get them styled and thoroughly washed & redone once every so often. He said it was a pain because it was literally at least a half day at the salon to undo and restyle, and dry and all that.

Jessyka wrote:
Myia09 wrote:
And actually Jess, what is funny is that a lof of Africans and Hindu's find "regular" people wearing dreads as offensive because basically dreads were only given to the rights of an Preist.
Then in the Rasafarian, it was because of religion, and I have Jamacian friends who think that when white people or people of non-rastafarian religion wear them, it is an insult.

Wow, how ignorant and racist of them. Hair naturally dreads when you don't brush it. I'm not sure why anyone would find that offensive. If I run into someone who finds it offensive, I'll be sure to let them know that I find their offense offensive. :p My Muslim friends do not get offended when I wear a hijab. Maybe they're more tolerant.

To be clear, I'm not expecting people to just come out and be super awesome like Erika. I also didn't expect people to just blatantly be rude about it. It would be like if someone came on here and said, "Ew! You keep rabbits in the house? How gross! They smell!" Wherein some of us would get upset and some of us with better emotional control would educate them.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to go to a salon to have them done. I don't want them putting nasty products in my hair and what have you. I'll either let it dread up naturally, or get some friends to together and backcomb it a bit to kickstart it. The whole idea of dreadlocks (for me) isn't meant to be a fashion statement, but more of a (cue cheesy) lifestyle change. I mean, it definitely helps that they look boss.

:pullhair: <--- Maybe I should just this instead. :biggrin:

I don't think it is ignorant of them..if someone would wear a clothing or hairstyle of my religion as a fashion sense I could see why it would annoy them. I mean, I don't personally care either way, but I could see why it would be offensive. I think maybe if you wear it with the knowledge of the background, of course that is a lot better than just because it is "cool" which clearly you have done your research about it.

And a Hijab isn't the same as wearing dreads or a another religous symbol; a hijab is just worn for modesty.

Can't wait to see photos! :)

I can attest personally that her hair smells just like it always did even though she is in the dreading process :D. Her hair is so damned smooth though that it is fighting the dreads XD. It will take a lot of commitment to the process to make them come out for her.

No need for anyone to be offended either! About anything! Offense is a sign of weakness in my eyes. Go ahead, call me a honky cracker (for example) and I will just laugh and agree. Since when was being a honky cracker a BAD thing right? Same thing for anything else. Just laugh at the blatant wall people put up that keep them from being rational before emotional.

Here's a stereotype I got last night from a new rollergirl whos one of the "upper crust" of our local town..

"wow.. even though you have all those tattoos and piercings, your really smart, and you dont smell, and you have nice teeth and stuff, even your truck is nice. It's making me rethink getting a tattoo"

I just looked at her.. mouth all agape and said "really..uhhhh.. thanks.." and skated off all wide eyed...

Lharzriyal wrote:
I can attest personally that her hair smells just like it always did even though she is in the dreading process :D. Her hair is so darned smooth though that it is fighting the dreads XD. It will take a lot of commitment to the process to make them come out for her.

No need for anyone to be offended either! About anything! Offense is a sign of weakness in my eyes. Go ahead, call me a honky cracker (for example) and I will just laugh and agree. Since when was being a honky cracker a BAD thing right? Same thing for anything else. Just laugh at the blatant wall people put up that keep them from being rational before emotional.
By her you mean Jessyka ?

Brandy456 wrote:
Lharzriyal wrote:
I can attest personally that her hair smells just like it always did even though she is in the dreading process :D. Her hair is so darned smooth though that it is fighting the dreads XD. It will take a lot of commitment to the process to make them come out for her.

Yes. He's my boyfriend. :biggrin:

lnwqt0hdu.png

Starting point: April 24, 2010

31158_125589407451074_100000000476993_330125_4128566_n.jpg

1 Week-ish after a shower.

31158_125589410784407_100000000476993_330126_6410426_n.jpg

Almost two weeks, after a shower.
31158_125589414117740_100000000476993_330127_1344258_n.jpg

I really should get some pictures when it's dry and twist n ripped. Since I decided to go the all natural route, it's gonna take a ton of time to start looking normal. I'm cool with that though. I wear a headscarf or a bandana a lot and keep it pulled back when I go somewhere formal-ish. I did that before I stopped brushing as well though. I think I'm washing my hair too much and that's hindering the dreading process. But washing my hair every day is a vice I just can't seem to give up just yet.

I would love to see a pic of it dry because it is hard to tell with it wet how it really looks. I think if you shampoo but don't condition you could work it to your advantage because it would dry your hair out which might make the twisting work better and you still have clean hair ;)

I shampoo with baking soda (which I did before this whole process) but I've stopped rinsing with apple cider vinegar, as that makes your hair more manageable. To get your hair clean, you really only need to wash with water, but since everyone's hair is so used to stripping out every last trace of natural oil, the transition phase is HELL. Anyway, my hair is so dark that it's hard to see the progress unless you are right beside me. But I'll post a dry pic here in one second. I gotta start getting ready for a wedding and I have NO idea what I am going to do with my hair. I'd like to wear a headscarf but I doubt my dad would let me wear it to a wedding. :p

I think you look good. My daughter's teacher has dreads and I think she looks good with them. I have friends, co-workers and family members that have dreads also. All of them take good care for there hair. Looks like you are doing a wonderful job. :)

Jessyka wrote:
Brandy456 wrote:
Lharzriyal wrote:

Yes. He's my boyfriend. :biggrin:
Everything makes so much more sense now.

Latest posts

Back