Starting a Linebreeding Program...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
Okay, so here's this, lol.

Is line breeding safe, and does it ever result in mutations or does it bring out diseases, like maloclusion (sp?), defects, and stuff?

Line breeding is breeding like G. dam to grandson, aunt to nephew, uncle to neice, G. sire to grandaughter, etc., right?

I've inbred to get a good buck, and is it still safe to breed him to a doe that includes a lot of G. dams, G. sires, the same of his? (if this is confusing, I could scan their pedigrees and show you, but I think I'm right in saying yes, it's okay)

Here is my plan...hope this image works, I made it really quick on paint.

linebreeding.jpg

The doe that I got was purchased a few days ago, and to my surprise,she had half of the pedigree of my original Dutch that I starteed with.

Stupid image shrank!!

Well, it says

Red dot: original sire. Blue dot: original dam. Yellow dot: son and daughter of the original sire and dam. Green dot: son of son and daughter of original sire and dam. Purple dot: A new doe with half of the same lines as the original dam.

the green dot and purple dot will be bred soon. Is it linebreeding?

Since they are so closely inbred, you may find that you need to add another rabbit in tobring hybrid vigor to the line.

Pam

In the scenario provided... and if the rabbits were in the barn... I would breed the purple dot to a 1/2 sibling or Aunt/Uncle/Grandparent of the original Sire or Dam.

The way you have it worked out will highly reduce your gene pool concentrating to a high degree of both good and bad traits... and that will not necessarily improve your herd.

~Sunshine

Edit: I would follow the model provided by Pam ;)

Yeah, I did like that plan the Pam had, too...

At the show, I was thinking about having the original dam bred to a cmpletely different buck that has no background of my rabbits or the guy that gave me my rabbits. Good idea? I would have the new doe(purple dot) bred to a diff.buck, but she won't be old enough...:?This can get so confusing and frustrating! I wish I could find a buck for stud around here. There's not a whole lot of people round here who raises Dutchrabbits. Any suggestions?

-Kiya-

Akkatia wrote:
At the show, I was thinking about having the original dambred to a cmpletely different buck that has no background of my rabbitsor the guy that gave me my rabbits. Good idea?
That would be a good idea. It would bring the much needed hybrid vigor into the mix and widen your gene pool.

Good Luck!

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back