standard chinchillas~

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry

Reaction score
I don't know a THING about the breed. What to look for, feeding requirements. Any of that. But they were free, so I decided I might as well pick a pair up.

IDK if they're even show quality or not. They were advertised as so, but again, I know nothing about them. I figured the buck might be a nice 4H rabbit, instead of the tiny dwarfs I've been using for showmanship.

So... Could someone give me some pointers? Special things I need to know... How much they should eat each day. Hay or no hay. Breeding ages.

Right now they're free fed. Which I figure is what's best being so young. But yeaaah.

Oh! And how to pose them? I tried my best, but wasn't sure. I figured general type was more important that their head, so I tried my best to atleast get a body picture...

Anywho!

No name buck:
Said to be 12 weeks old.
101_2561.jpg

101_2563.jpg

101_2562.jpg

Is he posed up too far? I couldn't figure it out.

And a little no name doe.
Said to be 8 weeks, but I think she looks/feels a little younger. Also, is back feet placement set at this age? They're a little cow hockish at the moment. I wasn't so sure, however. When I flip her, they're quite straight, but whenever I try to pose her, they just veer out to the side.
101_2568.jpg

101_2566.jpg

Please be brutal! I'm expecting to be told their pet quality, but I don't know a thing about the breed... So... Yeah. Thaaanks in advance!

They look like they are show quality. Did you get them from margarette? She was advertising free rabbits out that way last week. I sent her some in 2007. Color looks good on them. Sometimes they are hard to pose as babies.

Margaret Cummings? Yeah. XD

They just look so different from the short little things I've seen pictures of... o.o; But then again, I'm no expert. By ANY means. LOL!

And nope. No pedigrees as far as I know. I'm ganna email her and ask to make sure. If not, I might as well grab their parent's names so I can start one.

Huh thats weird. Most of hers have pedigrees. maybe she had some extras she had a hard time getting rid of. Oh well. you can always start working pedigrees with them.

One thing you will see a lot at shows. Judges who do not know how to handle the breed.

If you would like to get more, nancy chausee has some out there. She sells them with pedigrees. She also has bred some of my stock into hers.

Id find out the full back ground on them, and what lines they are bred down out of.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
Oh! And how to pose them? I tried my best, but wasn't sure. I figured general type was more important that their head, so I tried my best to atleast get a body picture...

General type actually includes head and ears.

From the photos, they look rather nice.

Remember that color is worth the most points.

pamnock wrote:
Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:

General type actually includes head and ears.

From the photos, they look rather nice.

Remember that color is worth the most points.
Oh yes, of course. I wasn't sure what to call the "general type" other than that. It's hard to pose these guys! I'm no longer envious of the bigger breeds!

I was going to try to get better color photos, ones of the bands, but my camera wasn't wanting to take that detailed of photos. I'll try again tomorrow.

I've never had a chinchilla anything... Should I be concerned with how the color on the doe is so far? On another forum someone commented that she looked more like an opal, and that she's not something I should use in a breeding program. I trust you much more than I trust someone I've never met, and doesn't have (as far as I know), the experience you probably have. =D

dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
She is a baby. she is supposed to look like that. As long as she is showing ring color she is fine
I agree, the 8 week old is still in a soft baby coat - the surface color should come in better after the first molt.

pamnock wrote:
dixonsrabbitry1 wrote:
She is a baby. she is supposed to look like that. As long as she is showing ring color she is fine
I agree, the 8 week old is still in a soft baby coat - the surface color should come in better after the first molt.
Or by the second one. I have been breeding these for years. She looks fine to me.Def not opal. lol.

Back