Stand up coat vs. wool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaben

Reaction score
Hello I was looking for a little more clarity on stand up coat vs. wool. Kai is a German Giant and I've been doing some research to write up a true-blue breed profile. They're bred for fur and meat production. Everything I've read on their fur type keeps translating into the word wool. They have a densely packed undercoat with longer guard hairs. Nothing in length like angoras or wooleys though. When you pet him from tail to head the fur stays in place. If you're really massaging him and get into his coat, the undercoat is very, very soft but in general petting from head to tail he feels like any other normal fur type. If you blow into his coat good luck finding anything. You can part the hair though if you're really trying. Would the coat truly be considered "wool" or is the German to English translation just a bit too literal? Or is it just a matter of distinction between Ameriacan fur types and European fur types?
Or lets go with this: By American standards is he a standup or wool type?

In the ARBA Standard of Perfection, wool rabbits are the angora breeds, American Fuzzy Lops, and Jersey Woolies. They have a dense coat that reaches several inches long in length. Kai would be considered a regular furred rabbit here.

Very interesting. I'll write them up then as a normal furred breed then. The language barrier is a killer. Do the wooley breeds shed a lot? How is their fur collected to spin the wool?

I have only had Jersey Woolies and AFLs in the past. Though they have wool, they've been raised to be low-maintenance pet or exhibition breeds, mostly. The angora breeds are typically the ones used for actual wool production. From what I understand, wool can be harvested by gently pulling molting fur out of the coat or even by shearing the coat off and regrowing it.

ohhhhhkay. Kai sheds enough fur to make whatever needed! But I would imagine it's his pelt that would be more useful. It's pretty water resistant from the thick fur.
What is the difference between exhibition and actual showing?

I cant edit my previous post but i also wanted to include the definition of fur types accepted by ARBA. Maybe their description will help you. It sounds like Kai may have standing fur.

Flyback: A coat of fur that quickly returns to its smooth normal position when stroked from the hindquarters to the shoulders.
Rollback: A gradual return of the fur to its normal position when stroked from the hindquarters to the shoulders. Slightly slower return than a flyback coat.
Wool: The balance combination of guard hairs to underwool as determined by density, texture, and length for each wooled breed.
(with that you have Guard hairs: the longer, coarser protruding hair of the coat, which offers protection to the undercoat. It furnishes wearing quality and resilience to the coat. And Underwool: The shortest wool fiber, lying at the base of the wool coat.)
Standing Fur: The fur type unique to the Silver Fox. A long, dense fur that remains upright when stroked from the rump toward the head. It must be stroked from the head toward the rump to return to its normal position.

Also here is the fur description for Silver Fox: The fur is to be long, and as dense as possible, with plenty of luster and life. Ideal length is to be 1.5in. Coat should remain upright when stroked slowly from rump toward the head. (Upright - to be as near perpendicular to the body as possible.) Another stroke from the head towards the rump is required to place the coat in a normal position.

It sounds like if his hair falls back on its own at all then it is rollback.

He has the stand up fur according to ARBA. I was going to write his breed profile from an ARBA standard to avoid confusion and the fact that as of right now I dont have a European standard to go by. Still researching though. It's been difficult in talking to other German Giant breeders about the fur type. The language barrier is what's getting me. That and the German friends I have are staying far away from this topic. I think I annoyed all of them with to many questions and clarifications.

Latest posts

Back