Squishy the hamster died.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Squishy, my not-quite-three-years-old dwarf hamster died yesterday. He was a tiny little thing in his final few months (he didn't have the roundness that most dwarf hammies have). He just got all spindly and small from age. I found him yesterday near his food bowl, dead. When I picked him up, he still had a chunk of food in his little hands (being that rigor mortis set in, he's being buried with that bit of food, because if he's holding onto it that tight, he deserves it).

I bought some red tulip, yellow daffodil, and dark purple crocus bulbs at the store yesterday, and was planning on making a little garden. Squishy will be buried there.

For those of you who don't know/remember, Squishy was the only surviving baby of my last breeding pair of hamsters. He outlived his brother (Fatty) by a month or two. He was congenitally deformed but was fine. His face was "squished" over to one side, but it made him kind of cute. One of his eyes was always shut (or half-shut) from the squishiness. I will post pictures below.

Sorry, I was just a little upset about it last night and wanted to share.

Scamper free, little McSquisherton. :rainbow:

1009970.jpg

1009969c.jpg

1009968.jpg

1009967.jpg

1009966.jpg

ETA: These are the only pictures of him that I have. They were taken a few months ago, while he was considered a "senior". The parts of his fur that are gray in the pictures used to be a charcoal color. He definitely went gray with age.

RIP Squishers! He really was a cutie. I remember you posting these photos a couple months ago. My Dwarfie girl, Lily, started out brown but turned gray, then white with age. I miss having a hammie.

Aww..i'm sorry.. he was such a cutie!!I have a thing for animals with genetic abnormalities and stuff.. I think it makes them more loveable.

we're so sorry for your loss of Squishy--seemed like he was a really cut little boy and you have many good memories of him. We have a Zebra Finch, Arturo Jr. who has a deformed left foot, like his father--we know one day we will go into the family room and it will be quiet as he's very senior. Sometimes those little imperfections endear them to us even more. You rest in peace little man--goodbye.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

i too remember pics of squishy:) i am sorry to hear of his passing - a long lived hammy if ever there was one. scamper free little squish:rainbow:

I"m sorry :( I lost my hamster at the beginning of the summer. Even though they are small and "just hamsters"(as some people put it to me) you really do love them.

Sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry Kelly. He was such a cutie, and 3 years is astounding for a dwarf hammie. I know his life was filled with snuggly places to hide, large stashes of seeds, and miles run on his wheel. It's fitting that he died doing what all hamsters love to do most--eating. Hamsters are such wonderful little creatures--they have not a care in the world and life is really quite good for them. It's not a long life, but it is a good one. Scamper free, Squishy. Meet up with Ms. Piggy and Munchkin, who had markings like you but didn't get to live such a long life.

Petunia is also going gray--she started out with brown fur. I took some pics today and will post them later, probably in my blog. She's about one and a quarter years old.

Thank you, everyone. I haven't buried him yet (he's in the freezer...), but I am planting the flowers ASAP and he's going to go there. I think that daffodils, tulips, crocus, and hyacinths will be a nice mix.

Oh I'm so sorry. The flowers would be beautiful, Kelly. Squishy lived a very long life. And I'm sure he appreciates you letting him have his last bit of nomnom. Rest in peace little guy.

I just got done planting the flower bulbs. I didn't have enough area to plant the hyacinths, but I planted them under our bedroom window. The daffodils are planted checker-board style with the red tulips, and the crocus are planted around the bed of daffodils and tulips. I will probably post pictures of it in the blog when they come up in spring. Squishy was buried right in the middle. He would have liked it there (lots of things to chew on).

I'm sorry for your loss. I've had two hamsters die in my hands from old age. Teeny went very quickly. I noticed she was not moving and as soon as I held her she let go of life. Ewok held on for a good half hour after I found him cold and barely breathing. I warmed him up with a rice sock and just held him. My mom told me to tell him he could go and not a minute later he started to pass. It was one of the saddest things I've ever experienced. The whole family in tears. We buried him under the orange tree and I kid you not, the very next batch of oranges from that tree was sweet. They had always been sour oranges and now the tree only gives extra sweet ones. I like to think it is Ewok's last gift to us. Great! Now I'm crying for you AND me. Bittersweet tears...

t.

Back