squirmer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! ALL bunnies can be squirmy! The rex just feel better in your hands when they squirm!

My mini rex is so bad the vet doesn't even hold her. She takes her everywhere in her carrier. I will pick her up for short trips, like 10 feet or less. When I do pick her up I make sure to try and hold her really good so she feels safe, but it really doesn't seem to help. Otherwise I put her in a carrier to take her anywhere else. Even to take her upstairs, I put her in a carrier. I don't hold my mini rex but get on the floor and pet her and give her lovings. When I need to do somethings that you would normally hold a bun for like give meds, I stick her ontop of the dryer and she lays still. My mini rex is scared easily and I think that has to do with her squirming. I have been bonding my bunnies and I have scars on my chest from my mini rex squirming while I carry her from her room to the bonding area which is like 10ft max. Good luck. One thing I have really wanted to do but haven't is try to pick her up everyday so she gets more comfortable with it. If you find a solution, please let me know.

My holland lop is a squirmer as well!

I am working on getting him used to being picked up but I just hate it when I try to pick him up and he squims so much!

I think it will just take time and persistance.

Most rabbits will learn to tolerate being picked up, but most don't like it.
With lots of positive reinforcement, my rabbits have learned to stay still and not squirm when they're held, but they don't ENJOY being held. I just try to get them used to it so that when they have to be picked up they are less likely to injure themselves or me if they start kicking or squirming.

What I did was pick my rabbit up, talk to her calmly, reward her with nose pets while holding her, then set her down and give her a treat. It started with short periods of being held and immediate treats and ended up with longer periods of being held, then I'd set her down and we'd run over to where the treats were. She'd follow along, knowing what was coming.

I think it's young bunnies that squirm! We had a rex at the shelter who was a bit overweight and he didn't squirm at all! He was easy to pick up and loved being held. All of the younger bunnies we have really squirm a lot, though! I think when they get older they learn that we're not predators that want to eat them!

Ok milestone!

Flops hasn't let me pick him up since after the bunny tune up class.

I tried picking him up before I fed him and he squirmed his way out of it.

So I went and cut his food and came back and showed him his plate of food then tried to pick him up and he let me the second time!

I think I will start doing it this way once a day.
It might work for your rabbits!

Latest posts

Back