Squealing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
I woke up last night because one of my bunnies squealed, and then I heard them scooting around the room. Later on, I heard another squeal... and then again this morning, yet another one - this time the lights were on, and I saw Lupin running out from under the bed being chased by Thistle.

Does anyone else have rabbits that squeal? It wasn't a scream - in fact, I've never heard any rabbit making this noise before! It was short and sharp, maybe two seconds long at most, but very high-pitched. I caught Lupin and checked her over in case Thistle had been biting her but found no bite marks or anything (Lu's fur is so thick, I'd be surprised if anything got through it!); do you think it was just a squeal of frustration or anger at being chased away?

I'm confuddled - Thistle and Lupin generally get along very well; it's Juniper who's normally the one pushed out of the threesome! Thistle is definitely the dominant one though.

Was it more of a grunt than a squeal? If it was short and sharp it could well have been a grunt although I assumed that grunts were not high pitched - perhaps others will have some more input shortly. I guess it could have been a warning or a 'leave me alone' squeal?

When Starsky chases Lacey he grunts, its like a mating thing.

Definitely not a grunt - she grunts when I pick her up, and this was a loud enough squeal to actually wake me up. It was along the same pitch as a bunny scream, only short.

I have two females living together, and whenever I put my hand in their hutch they 'chunter' as I call it. They make vocal noises, some of which sounds like they noises you are describing. With mine Ithink it is a noise to do with fear (not that my buns need to be scared, but I am invading their territory so it must be unsettling) and confusion. I can't offer any advice though, only speak from personal experience, sorry.

Back