Spurs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
My vet is planning to check Oskar's teeth for spurs under general anasthetic. is there a way of doing it without using such drastic measures?

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=671&S=5&SourceID=43

is the vet really knowledgeable re. rabbits ?
I would ask more questions ;
There is really no way to really check the teethwell if the rabbit is not anesthesized to some degree;

an exam requires little anesthesia
your vetcan also obtain a lot of info by doing initial dental x-rays.
I believe inhalant anesthesia (per mask) is safer than general but specific types of anesthetic agents are used on rabbits.

Do some reading and then ask question.
Maureen

Hi,

If your vet is familiar with injectable anesthesias for rabbits.....that is much better for oral procedures in lieu of masking for gas, then they wake up, then mask again, etc. Injectable allows more precise sedation and is reversible with an injection of reversing agent. I would assume your vet is prepared to perform a float if necessary while in there. If gas is used and you have a choice.....go with Sevoflurane instead of Iso. Sevo is usually more expensive but is a quicker in, quicker out gas.Sedation is the best way to get a really good look at those molars. Keep in mind that a visual is a companion to appropriate radiographs to look at the roots and structure of the jaw bone itself.

Randy

My vet is quite rabbit savvy. She spayed three of my females and neutered a male successfully and also treated a corneal ulcer rather successfully. I was just wondering whether you can have a look without knocking him out fully considering that he is somewhat delicate at the moment.

A quick check of the cheek teeth can be done with an instrument similar to a speculum that fits in the mouth. It's by no means as extensive as can be done while under general anesthesia, but it is good enough for a quick check or annual check in a bunny that doesn't typically have spur problems.

Latest posts

Back