Spraying.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moro Ferret

Reaction score
Is it normal (or rather abnormal) for neutered males to spray?

Not to mention my bunnies pee on or next to me sometimes. And nip.

I have read several sources that indicate that these are (the latter two anyhow) ways of showing love. As flattering as this is, those sources claim that "fixing will solve the problem". But they are fixed. Is is normal to spray and pee on me when altered?

I only have two females and none of the males at the humane society who are neutered do this. I should say they don't spray, they do nip lol. Bumping this up so hopefully you will get a better answer.

How long has it been since they were speutered?

Runestonez wrote:
That was my first thought. I've had males spray for up to 6 weeks after they were neutered.

Yup...our longest was just over three months...nipping, spraying, singing...he was a love machine that one!:biggrin2:

If it was a recent neuter it isn't a quick fix...it can take weeks for their hormone levels to die down.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Runestonez wrote:
That was my first thought. I've had males spray for up to 6 weeks after they were neutered.
Long enough -- the newest neuter was at least 8 months ago.

OK...
So my next question...was it a complete neuter with total removal of the testicles?

Yes....it sounds weird...but we had a rabbit (Tucker)...he was supposed to be neutered when we got him...but because one of his testes was stuck...they left it and we had to go back and have a crypt neuter done later when we realized what had or rather hadn't been done the first time round!

Then from there I move on to having a vet checkup done to rule out any growths or tumours...however if you have two rabbits doing the same thing...the chances are slim that it would be something medical affecting both rabbits...

After that...well there's raincoats and galoshes...:biggrin:

If you rule out everything else...if they are both male...then you are left in the middle of a "pissing" contest...pun totally intended!

Basically..."MY Hoomin!"... "NO! It's MY Hoomin!"
The good news is your rabbits are showing their affection for you!
And they really like you! You must be an excellent hoomin! :D

This behavior WILL settle down...if they are both trying to claim you...it will take a little while longer...but it will eventually taper off. I know it's a pain...and gross! lol
But you basically have two bunns fighting over you...thats pretty special!:)
(just trying to look at the brightside!);)

Runestonez wrote:
OK...
So my next question...was it a complete neuter with total removal of the testicles?

Yes....it sounds weird...but we had a rabbit (Tucker)...he was supposed to be neutered when we got him...but because one of his testes was stuck...they left it and we had to go back and have a crypt neuter done later when we realized what had or rather hadn't been done the first time round!

Then from there I move on to having a vet checkup done to rule out any growths or tumours...however if you have two rabbits doing the same thing...the chances are slim that it would be something medical affecting both rabbits...

After that...well there's raincoats and galoshes...:biggrin:

If you rule out everything else...if they are both male...then you are left in the middle of a "p*ssing" contest...pun totally intended!

Basically..."MY Hoomin!"... "NO! It's MY Hoomin!"
The good news is your rabbits are showing their affection for you!
And they really like you! You must be an excellent hoomin! :D

This behavior WILL settle down...if they are both trying to claim you...it will take a little while longer...but it will eventually taper off. I know it's a pain...and gross! lol
But you basically have two bunns fighting over you...thats pretty special!:)
(just trying to look at the brightside!);)

Eww. XD

Well, I am glad they they love me so. Flattered even.

I definitely agree that it seems territorial.

I <3 my buns.

Latest posts

Back