spraying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsaustin007

Reaction score
I am getting a Netherland Dwarf in 2 weeks. My concern is the spraying during
puberty. Is there an age they stop doing that or do they only stop after being
fixed? Excuse my newbie rabbit owner ignorance. :p

Spraying should cease or lessen majorly after the rabbit is neutered. Otherwise... Chances are low.

There are some buns that like to spray and some that don't so you may be one of the lucky ones :p Especially as there won't be any other rabbit competition around.

Generally it eases when the rabbit is neutered however that doesn't mean it will stop completely; if you have a sprayer, chances are that may continue but in a much reduced amount after the neuter.

Every bun is diffrent, I guess you'll just have to wait and see for yourself when he gets older. But the best bet is to get him neuterd either way.

Having a neutered bun and hearing about what they're like unaltered, I hardly feel like they'd be a fun pet otherwise... so yeah, definitely get him fixed. Rabbit urine smells bad when they're unaltered (you can tell that much by just walking in to a petstore that sells them) and is darker than cat's or dog's, so you definitely don't want that getting anywhere but their litterbox. Spraying is just a natural behavior for a hormonal rabbit and I don't think they'd stop at any age if you left them unfixed.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but do only the males spray? I haven't picked one out yet and if I can avoid this whole dilemma by getting a female, I'll do that.

Latest posts

Back