Sprained leg?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenB

Reaction score
Help!! Just noticed today that my bunny is limping on her left front paw. Has anyone encountered anythin like this?The only thing I can put it down to was that she struggled yesterday when I was trying to put her into her cage and jumped ontop of it!!! Anyone any suggestions?

I would suggest seeing a vet, possible even today/tonight, bu definitely tomorrow, because even a break can be marginalised and may not look as bad as it is because rabbits hide things. Also, the vet will be able to provide a painkiller.

You will need to limit your rabbits movement until you can get her to a vet to avoid aggravting it even more, so she will need to be in a small space, with no running room, with water and hay and food all within each reach.

Hoe is she acting in herself? Eating? Pooing? Weeing? Drinking?

Yeah I don't know of any late night vets or anything unfortunately. She seems great otherwise!!! eating and drinking, saw her sitting on her toilet but not actually doing the business!, so i'm sure she did! I have a cat carrier, think that'd be good? Unfortunately I won't be able to get her to a vet until after 4 tomorrow!! Jury service :foreheadsmack:

Yeah, it could be sprained, broken, or a painful nail. A cat carrier would be fine, and I think you should get him in to the vet. Maybe you can get out of jury selection by telling them you have a sick bunny, then you won't have to serve in a trial!

I'm already in the trial unfortunately :) Brought her to the vet today and she said the leg's not broken (phew!) but seems "tender", as in it could be a sprain or something :) But if it doesn't get better to go back 'cause it could be a hairline! Got given anti-inflammitorys too. Anyone ever gotten them?? (just out of curiosity!) Thanks for the replys dudes :D

I bet that she gave you Metacam, right? That should do the trick if it's just a sprain. :)

edit: generic name for Metacam is meloxicam. I've gotten it for bunnies after a neuter and it's pretty commonly used. Just make sure he's fully hydrated, as it can cause issues if the bunny's not well hydrated.

Ah phew!!! Yeah she gave me that one!! I was a bit worried 'cause she was like... its for cats but it's grand for bunnies. I was like.. eh!? Hehehe :) Thanks so much :):) Myself and Ruari appreciate it very much :)

if she can put some weight on it,most likely a sprain,which will cure overtime,.rabbits are farsighted so when they anticipate a jump it could be death defying,-my little guy will jump off the 5 ft.high dresser landing on the bed-giving me a heart attack,..sincerely james waller

Yes 'angieluv', the vet told me to keep her in her cage and keep her relaxed! :)
And james, she can put weight on it so hopefully she'll be better soon :) Thanks so much guys :):bunnydance::thanks:

Latest posts

Back