Sports & Mismarks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I know Pam has explained this to me before - but its been a LONG time and I don't have the information...

What is the difference between a sport and a mismark?  I know one is a vienna carrier - (sport - right?) but the other one is just a mismark...doesn't carry the vienne gene?  How do you know the difference?

For instance....I have a vienna marked doe - she has blue eyes and white strip up her face....she had 3 babies.  One is a sablepoint... with just a mark on its nose (far right) ... here's a clickable photo:

I'm assuming this one is a sport because its mom is a sport....but what if I get a mark like this in a litter where mom isn't a vienna carrier or vienna marked and there is nothing on the parents' pedigrees to say they're vienna carriers...

Peg

The terms "mismark" and "sport" are often used interchangeably.  Mismark is defined as "incorrectly marked". 

The ARBA definition of sport is a rabbit that is not the characteristic color for it's breed (a solid black English Spot, for example).

Pam

Then what is the way to tell the difference between a mismark and a vienna marked rabbit?  Isn't it blue eyes or blue tint or flecks to the eyes?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is... is it possible to have a mismark that isnt' vienna marked?  I was thinking it was..

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
Then what is the way to tell the difference between a mismark and a vienna marked rabbit?  Isn't it blue eyes or blue tint or flecks to the eyes?<

I guess what I'm trying to get at is...is it possible to have a mismark that isnt' vienna marked?  I was thinking it was..

Peg

A vienna marked rabbit would also be a mismarked, however, a mismarked wouldn't necessarily be a vienna marked.  The vienna gene can manifest itself in a number of different ways (or not at all) when carried recessively.

I've had mismarked Hollands (white on foot) and seen white blazes on Chestnuts that were not caused by the Vienna gene.  So yes, it is possible to have mismarks that are not Vienna marked.  A black spot on the ear of a Dwarf Hotot would be another example of a mismark that is not a Vienna marked rabbit.

Pam

Latest posts

Back