Splitting an xpen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
So I have a 48" high with 24" wide panels xpen set up in a square. If I split it in half with NIC cubes, then that would leave each bunny with 2 feet by 4 feet cage space. Would this be enough for bunnies less than 4 pounds each? They also get daily run around time in a medium sized bedroom (without any other furniture). I'd also put a second level type thing into the cage for them to perch on. I'd like for them to ideally live in the xpen together, but Layla will be spayed soon and I'd like the smaller area to keep her confined but also allow them to stay in their semi-bonded state through her recovery. He doesn't move a whole lot in his cage and waits til he's out. She is always kind of active, but has been in smaller cages before but did fine with out of cage time daily.

Would that be too small, or would it be fine considering they get free roam of the room for half the day as well?

LaylaLop wrote:
So I have a 48" high with 24" wide panels xpen set up in a square. If I split it in half with NIC cubes, then that would leave each bunny with 2 feet by 4 feet cage space. Would this be enough for bunnies less than 4 pounds each? They also get daily run around time in a medium sized bedroom (without any other furniture). I'd also put a second level type thing into the cage for them to perch on. I'd like for them to ideally live in the xpen together, but Layla will be spayed soon and I'd like the smaller area to keep her confined but also allow them to stay in their semi-bonded state through her recovery. He doesn't move a whole lot in his cage and waits til he's out. She is always kind of active, but has been in smaller cages before but did fine with out of cage time daily.

Would that be too small, or would it be fine considering they get free roam of the room for half the day as well?
I think it's fine. Plus I agree, it will be a better set up for Layla and her recovery.

K :)

Screenshot2012-01-25at120236AM.png

That's how it's split now. Poor buns, they think they're being punished. They'd probably be fine staying in the same cage overnight but I'd rather not have to split them up after her spay to ensure she doesn't pull stitches chasing him around... Just easier this way for now even if they don't agree!

It looks good to me.

Do you plan to incorporate the nic cubes into the xpen in some way, like adding them where the ends of the pen come together? Later on, I mean, when they're not needed where they are.

That looks like a 30" pen, not a 48" (my 36" looks larger than yours)?

But yea, it looks fine, especially considering it's only temporary. If you want to give them more room, you could always use the walls of the room as part of the enclosure. That way you could open the ends of the pen and make it much larger (just have to figure out how to anchor the ends to the wall).

And by the way, nice bunns!

This is one of the few forums where you can say that to a woman and not get into trouble. LOL!

Haha, thanks. It is a 48" since the wood flooring I put down underneath is 48" long per board and the pen goes from edge to edge. Since I'm in a rental I can't risk them chewing up the baseboard (which my stinkers would do) so I have to keep them away from the wall.

Back