Spirit has a cold? What am I doing wrong??Please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
Hello everyone..Hope you and your bunnies are having a great day =) I am here again today needing some answers..and hope someone can enlighten me on what I'm doing wrong..So I'm thinking that Spirit has a cold, she sneezed 7 times yesterday and twice this morning a few days ago she also had a little bit of a runny eye( Shadow also sneezed this morning ) I dont understand whats going on...I have only had my rabbits about 2 months....2 weeks ago when I took them for their checkup to make sure they were healthy enough to be fixed the vet found that Shadow had ear mites and Spirit had fur mites..to make a long story short between the office visit, skin scrapes & medication by the time I left it cost me $300.00 which was more than I expected but it needed to be taken care of so it was worth it to get them better...the vet also informed me that it would cost me $340.00 ( for both combined ) to get them fixed..Well I wasnt expecting the vet to find the whole mite issue when we went for the checkup so the money I used for that was part of the money I was saving to get them fixed ( I know this needs to be done asap espically now that we know Shadow isnt a girl but a boy!) Now she is sneezing and from what I'm reading on this site and others she needs a vet visit and antibiotics...and since her and Shadow are always with each other and he sneezed today as well, I'm thinking he will need the same course of treatment..I dont even want to think about how much that is going to cost:shock: So I need to know what I am doing wrong?? I wont let either rabbit be sick and not take them to the vet but honestly I cant afford this at all...I have 3 kids and a cat that I also have to care for and as I'm sure most of you know times are really hard right now...so this is really really hurting my wallet :cry2( if this vet visit costs anything like that last one which I'm sure it will it will be another $300 which means between the mites the cold and the spay/neuter I will be spending over $900.00 in less than 3 months )...I dont understand:?I change their bedding every other day..they have timothy hay and pellets along with fruits and veggies everyday..they are indoor rabbits so its not like they are outside in the cold and rain..I really need some answers...Please help!!!!:pray:Are there any home remedies for rabbit colds?? ( I'm sorry if thats a stupid question )

Rabbits can't catch colds. It sounds like it might be Pasteurella, which could cause sneezing, runny nose, runny eye(s). I know it can cost a lot, and we're in the same situation, trying to figure out what's wrong with one of our boys, Coco, who's been treated with duplocilin (what bicillin is called in Canada) twice, Kiwi once. The problem seems better, but we're not sure it's completely gone and may have to scrounge up more money to deal with it. Coco also seems to have either mites or dry skin; both of the vets we've seen think it's dry skin but I'm not convinced.

I'm not sure if I can tell you anything of much help other than it sounds like a bacterial infection, probably Pasteurella, and that it might need to be treated again. :( Hopefully someone else can answer you who knows a bit more about it than I do. Definitely keep an eye on her to make sure she's not having trouble breathing, acting depressed, not eating, etc. - symptoms that constitute an emergency and mean you need to get to the vet right away. I would also suggest cleaning the bedding often as you've been doing, and feeding fresh mint (good for the respiratory system) and oregano (good for the immune system). And of course, lots of love and support for Spirit, until you manage to figure out the problem and solve it... Hope that helps.

KimberlilyKC wrote:
Rabbits can't catch colds. It sounds like it might be Pasteurella, which could cause sneezing, runny nose, runny eye(s). I know it can cost a lot, and we're in the same situation, trying to figure out what's wrong with one of our boys, Coco, who's been treated with duplocilin (what bicillin is called in Canada) twice, Kiwi once. The problem seems better, but we're not sure it's completely gone and may have to scrounge up more money to deal with it. Coco also seems to have either mites or dry skin; both of the vets we've seen think it's dry skin but I'm not convinced.

I'm not sure if I can tell you anything of much help other than it sounds like a bacterial infection, probably Pasteurella, and that it might need to be treated again. :( Hopefully someone else can answer you who knows a bit more about it than I do. Definitely keep an eye on her to make sure she's not having trouble breathing, acting depressed, not eating, etc. - symptoms that constitute an emergency and mean you need to get to the vet right away. I would also suggest cleaning the bedding often as you've been doing, and feeding fresh mint (good for the respiratory system) and oregano (good for the immune system). And of course, lots of love and support for Spirit, until you manage to figure out the problem and solve it... Hope that helps.

Kimberly is correct that your rabbits most likely have a UTI and need treatment. This could include a culture and sensitivity and round of antibiotics.

It is worth your time and money to make sure that this vet is rabbit knowledgeable enough to go straightto the more powerful drugs like zithromax, chloramphenical, Convenia, bicillin etc. with out wasting your money treating them with Sulfa, baytril only to have the infection come back again.

You have not had rabbits long and these may be problems that have occured during the transition to a new enviornment. The ear amd fur mitesmost likely came in with the rabbits . You really don't know what situation they came from.

Some vets will allow you to pay a small fee monthly and not pay up-front.

It might be a good idea to talk the office about doing this.
Rabbit often are expensive medically but you sound like a good responsible owner and hopefully once you are take care of this problem things will even out.

If you are giving them a clean environment with plenty of exercise, good quality hay and pellets, some veggies and alot of TLC you are not doing anything wrong.
Buns can be hard but worth it in the long run...
if you have any rabbit rescue near you you may want to call them and see who they could suggest for vet care . Possibly it is someone who charges reasonably.

Otherwise we can provide you with a list of vets for your state if you decide to change vets.

Good Luck

Hang in there
You sound like a great bunny mom....:)

It also might be a good idea to look into vet insurance. I know the one in the states (www.petinsurance.com) doesn't cover desexing, but they do help with other illnesses. I also think your vet sounds rather expensive, and like angieluv said it is probably best to make sure they're rabbit-savvy and you're getting your money's worth. Unfortunately, most of the home treatments for upper respiratory infections don't work, and the best thing to do is have a vet diagnose the bacteria involved and prescribe a good antibiotic.

angieluv wrote:
KimberlilyKC wrote:

Kimberly is correct that your rabbits most likely have a UTI and need treatment. This could include a culture and sensitivity and round of antibiotics.

It is worth your time and money to make sure that this vet is rabbit knowledgeable enough to go straightto the more powerful drugs like zithromax, chloramphenical, Convenia, bicillin etc. with out wasting your money treating them with Sulfa, baytril only to have the infection come back again.

You have not had rabbits long and these may be problems that have occured during the transition to a new enviornment. The ear amd fur mitesmost likely came in with the rabbits . You really don't know what situation they came from.

Some vets will allow you to pay a small fee monthly and not pay up-front.

It might be a good idea to talk the office about doing this.
Rabbit often are expensive medically but you sound like a good responsible owner and hopefully once you are take care of this problem things will even out.

If you are giving them a clean environment with plenty of exercise, good quality hay and pellets, some veggies and alot of TLC you are not doing anything wrong.
Buns can be hard but worth it in the long run...
if you have any rabbit rescue near you you may want to call them and see who they could suggest for vet care . Possibly it is someone who charges reasonably.

Otherwise we can provide you with a list of vets for your state if you decide to change vets.

Good Luck

Hang in there
You sound like a great bunny mom....:)

Thanks so much for your advice...I called around to a few other vets in my area..unfortunatley none offer monthly payments until I am an "established" customer...however I did find one place that seemed reasonable and I just wanted your opinion...She said the office visit is $49.00 + $30.00 for any additional pet ( I am going to have Shadow seen at the same time just to make sure he doesnt have the same thing ) and that it would be about $10-$20 for the antibiotic which would be oral..depending on which one he decided on...I asked her the price of the zithromax, she said they didnt carry that there so what would be your 2nd recommendation? When I do take them I will refuse the Sulfa & baytrilif thats what he tries to prescribe. So should I just ask him if he carries any of the other ones you mentioned?? Or do you have a suggestion of one that is better than the other? I am going to the grocery store and getting them some oregano and mint in a little while..hopefully will get to take them to the vet by tomorrow or the following day ( rent's due this week ugh! :X) So how do you think that sounds as far as pricing goes?? And when he does give them the antibiotic how long should they take them for?? I'm sure he will tell me but I would also like to have the opinion of people that actually own rabbits and live with them daily lol if that makes any sense :blushan:.Thanks for saying I sound like a great bunny mom...this is the very first time I've had rabbits and I already know I will never be without a few of them as long as I live...I've become an instant rabbit lover :biggrin2:I never knew how much character they have and how smart they are! and my favorite thing..how they can be so bonded and love each other so genuinely...it just amazes me..I love all animals but rabbits have definitley become one of my favorites!! :inlove:

btw...they were ridiculous on their prices to spay and neuter! $260.00 for a female and $200.00 for a male..sweet jesus!!:shock2:

Uh-oh, probably too late in replying to this, but I just wanted to mention that injectable antibiotics are much safer than oral for bunnies. Some oral antibiotics should never be given to buns (like amoxicillin), and while there are safer ones, they all carry some risk. Mind you, injectables are not entirely risk-free either, but they're much safer (for example, injectable duplocillin (Canadian name; in US known as bicillin). The reason bunnies are so sensitive to this stuff is that it can throw their intestinal bacteria out of whack, causing either G. I. stasis or enteritis, both of which can be fatal. It's a good idea to give them a little acidophilus while on antibiotics (from supplements for people; just open them up and sprinkle a little on their greens. I don't think there's any exact recommended dose. I was making one pill last about 2-3 days, so that was about 1/4 to 1/6 a pill a day each). Light belly massages can also work wonders for mildly gassy tummies or tummies that sound quieter than usual.

Hope everything's going alright! :)

That is true that all penicillin-like drugs should only be given injected. However, for some upper respiratory infections, some oral antibiotics are fine. An example is zithromax, which is very strong but given orally. I'm not sure what LuvMyRabbits' vet has prescribed.

This is a pretty good list of antibiotics for use in rabbits: http://www.rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

I prefer using a mixture of several kinds of bacteria as a probiotic. There's a product called Bene-Bac that is just great and is sold by most big box pet store chains. It comes in a dog/cat version and a small animal version. My guys like the dog/cat one so I use that, Angieluv's don't like the taste of it so she uses the small animal version which is also powdered. An equivalent product can be found at many feed stores, made for horses. One brand name is ProBios. They contain two lactobacillus species, one enterococcus, and I think a saccharomycetes, which seems to help more than just acidophillus. However, the acidophillus supplements you mentioned might be really good when this supplement isn't available (for instance in some other countries). I keep Bene-Bac on hand for any sign of GI upset, and it might be good for daily use as a preventative when they're on antibiotics.

This is going to be difficult because you are going to a vet for the first time. often a vet does not like to be told what he should give you so you really don't know what kind of response you will get from a new person.
You could ask that a culture and sensitivity be done to determine whatbacteria is specific for a certain antibiotic
A lot of vets want to prescribe baytril or trimeoprim sulfa which is not 'bad" but just not as powerful as some of the other drugs.; rabbits have become immune to many of those drugs.

I would suggest going to the vet, asking them to do a culture and sensitivity. Tell them you belong to a rabbit forum in which many of the people have had experience with using stronger antibiotics than baytril and sulfa. See how the vet reacts. let him tell you what he thinks and then come back here and post it. determine whether the vet is open to what you are thinking or just set in a routine.

Randy (ra7751)will talk to any vet who wants to talk to him. Although Randy is not a vet he is probably the most rabbit knowledgeable person thatI know. Some vets don't want to talk to someone who isn't a vet . Randy owns a rabbit rescue , is a wild-life rehabber and works with cutting edge vets.
i would ask the vet is he ever uses azithromycin , (zithromax), bicillin, Convenia or chloramphenical on rabbits. ...just gauge his response.

if he insists on trimeoprim sulfa or baytril or ciprofloxicin then use that. Rome wasn't won in a day .
You are price conscious and sometimes (not always)
that is going to affect what you get.

just make sure that the vet has treated many rabbits.

The prices you stated for spays and neuters are routine in some parts of the country. it cost as much as a dog or cat.

You need to have some $$$ to ownrabbits ..bottom line.

I'll try to find an article on finding a good vet but it is hard when you are new to rabbits yourself.

Latest posts

Back