Spirit goes in for her spay tomorrow morning...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
Hello everybunny ( and human )..well tomorrow is the big day, Spirit is going in to get spayedin themorning at 10:30..I'm very scared for her! All the thoughts of what can go wrong are filling my head..but I am going to try my best tostay positive :cry2Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers for a safe spay and a quick recovery...Any advice for when she comes home? Things I should look for to make sure she is doing well?? Any help you could give would be appreciated...this is my first rabbit being spayed so I'm not sure what to expect..I'm going to stay up there with her until they are finished and I can take her back home..The vet talked to me on the phone yesterday and answered all the questions I had about the procedure and made me feel a bit better about it, but I tend to be a "worry wart" no matter what is happening...The vet told me not to fast her and to bring her food with her when I came so nothing will interfere with her diet afterwards..and that as soon as shes out of the anesthesia and awake with nose twitching I can bring herback home to finish her recovery...She also said she would send me home with a script of zithromax for her to take for the URI that the tetracycline didnt seem to take care of..she said if she doesnt have it at her office she will write me a script for it to take to the pharmacy...So will it be ok to give her zithromax and pain meds together?? I know that they said we can also get pain meds to take home with us, which I am definitley doing ..I mean they're removing her uterus..thats gotta hurt! So just wanting to make sure that they are ok to be given together ( not necessarily at the same time but just wanting to make sure there are no interactions with each other that will harm her) If you have advice on the meds that would be great help also...I also have some benebac here still if she needs to take it while on the antibiotics..( think someone said a dime size amount everyday she is on antibiotics?) Thanks for all your help guys..and please pray for her :pray:

Good luck for tomorrow. Take lots of things to do with you to keep you distracted. It will be scary and stressful but hopefully worthwhile in the end :)

She will be fine
I felt like you when my sweet Babette was spayed as she was my first.

I have taken 100's of shelter females home after their spays and they have had not problems other than some discomfort for a few days.

First of all you want a a strong enough pain med and pain meds and antibiotics are compatible ;you can administer them together without a bad reaction.
Is your vet doing laser surgery or is he using stitches?

Either way it will be fine
laser surger usually is a little less traumatic for the bun but some of the vets here still use sutures and the buns recover fine.

The vet will say to "Confine" the bun for at least 5-7 days but after careful thought I decided that an x-pen is confinement ; a rabbit should be able to walk about but just not jump, run or leap.

From my experience a female often will not want to eat the first day. often I will syringe the bun pedialyte and sometimes (not always give a dose of benebac). I always offer really delicious parlsey or cilantro and if the bun is the least bit hungry they will eat it first day.

Sometimes they will not eat the first day so always remember hydration before food.
Sometimes the bun will barely poop until the 3rd day

the 3rd day is the "magic" day when the bun starts to act normal ,eat and poop normally and look alive.

many times I have torn my hair out on the 2nd night only to find the bun eating drinking and pooping on the 3rd day.

The first thing they always eat is fresh greens....
I am not talking about young buns being spayed but strays nd surreneders who were maybe 5-6 yrs old.

No one ever died...

Angieluv- I'm glad your writing all this info down cause it won't be long before my female bun gets fixed too. So I'll know what to do when the time comes :).....April

:thanks:

Angieluv answered all your questions, I think, and I agree with her answers of course. I was probably the one that told you about the Bene-Bac in a dime-sized amount a day. ;) Remember that hydration is very important while bunnies are on any kind of pain medication. Also, I would keep an eye on her until she's eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing after she comes out of anesthesia.

We are on our way to the vets now....I'm very nervous =(

Have great news!!! The Vet just called me and said Spirit is done with her surgery and is awake and doing well...and I can go pick her up in an hour or so...I'm so relieved!!!!!!!!!!:party:wooo hooo my baby girl is ok!!

Oh that's great! I'm so glad it went well. I hope her recovery continues to be smooth sailing!

:biggrin2:

Hello again..just wanted to givea post op update on Spirit..she is doing fantastic! Shes been eating since she got home and is already trying to get out of her cage:pI know the pain medicine is still in effect and is probally helping her mood out alot..but honestly she isnt even acting like she had surgery today..What a great patient she is :biggrin2:But I know tomorrow that might change and I'm totally prepared to spoil her and do whatever isnecessary to keep her comfortable.

I saw her eat today but not drink so I made sure to rinse her Kale under cold water before I gave it to her to make sure she got water that way as well as syringing her 3 tubes of water ( I'm not sure of the correct term ) I didnt check the cage yet for poops because when we first got home and I went to change her blanket in there to make sure she had something clean to lay on she tried to escape past me and get out..so I didnt want to riskher ripping her stiches by me messin around in there( the vet used dissolvable stiches..about how long does it take for those to dissolve? )

I also wanted to mention the meds they sent me home with to see if everything sounded right..She weighed 6.8 pounds today at the time of her surgery..for her pain they gave me Metacam..They told me to give it to her once a day at the 6 pound mark ( the syringe is marked in lbs not ml ) they said to do that for about 3 days?? If I'm only supposed to give it to her for 3days I will have alot left over because they gave me a 15ml bottle to go home with..should I keep the leftover incase I ever need it for a future situation?? They also gave me a script for Zithromax Oral Suspension for the URI that the tetracycline didnt clear up...she didnt have it at the office so I have to take it to the pharmacy in the morning..I am supposed to give her 1ml of that a day for 14 days..sound right??

Anyhoo I took some pictures of her earlier today when she came home from surgery and wanted to share them..she is very loved by all the boys around here ( rabbit, cat & kids ) and boy does it show! Shes adored by her first boyfriend Shadow as well as Gemini our cat who is her 2nd boyfriend..they both were very happy she was home..as were all of us..I want to thank you guys for helping me through this..I'm so happy I found this site! man can I ramble on and on or what!?!?!!

Shadow welcoming her home =)

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4133.jpg

Her giving me those sad eyes so I would let her out to run around..

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4113.jpg

Trying to escape..she loves her freedom thats for sure!

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4106.jpg

Gemini giving her a kiss on the head to welcome her home..he loves her almost as much as Shadow does =)

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4101.jpg

Mowin down on some Kale..this is her favorite activity

%3Ca%20href=
IMG_4125.jpg

She looks great...

She will be fine.

usually we encourage people to ask their vets for pain meds stronger than metacam but in your case probably no need to do that unless she really looks uncomfortable tomorrow.

THe metacam is labeled in such a way that there is no way to know the strength that she is receiving.I would not like this because I always want to double checkk the dosage that the vet prescribed ( i don't trust anyone) ; I would go ahead and give it as prescribed.

The metacam will be good for a long time and doesn't need to be refrigerated just room temperature.

The zithromax is probably a pink powder that you mix with water. just post the mg per ml tomorrow and I can most likely tell you if the dose is correct.

it may take about 10 days for stitches to totally dissove and there will just be a thin line where the suture line is.
if you are able to comfortably turn her over in a day or 2 it is a good thing to check for any redness or swelling at the site .

So far so good..:D

I'm so pleased its gone so well so far :D

As for the Metacam, yes, keep it. It ALWAYS comes in handy. Mine can be used for up to 6 months after it was opened, which is really handy.

I tend to give it to my spays for 4 to 5 days, so maybe just wait and see how she is and if she seems like she needs it after day three.

Keep us updated :D

Latest posts

Back