Spinal Cord Damage - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLions18

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old baby who hurt her back. Found her Saturday night, and got her into the vet this morning. We did not do a X- ray but will be doing one tomorrow. She said she can feel a dip in the spine. She gave her a shot of steroids. And said if its going to help it will with in 24 hours. So far nothing. She is still pooping,peeing, and somewhat eating and drinking. I am syringing her, food and banana baby food and she seems to enjoy it. She has no use of her legs. She can feel them and will move them a little but that's it. She can also hold her head up. Has anyone ever had this happen? What med's did you put your bun on? I would just like some more info to take to the vet tomorrow.

That's good that she at least has some movement in her legs. I have heard continuing to use an anti inflammatory like metacam, has sometimes produced positive results for rabbits with back injuries.

Had a bun who had a spinal fracture and was treated for it but turned out to be a pelvic fracture which healed...none of the vets had suggested X-rays definitely should've done the X-rays

Anti-inflam definitely helps...as well as making sure she doesn't hurt herself...so keeping her comfy

Last edited:
I have a 3 month old baby who hurt her back. Found her Saturday night, and got her into the vet this morning. We did not do a X- ray but will be doing one tomorrow. She said she can feel a dip in the spine. She gave her a shot of steroids. And said if its going to help it will with in 24 hours. So far nothing. She is still pooping,peeing, and somewhat eating and drinking. I am syringing her, food and banana baby food and she seems to enjoy it. She has no use of her legs. She can feel them and will move them a little but that's it. She can also hold her head up. Has anyone ever had this happen? What med's did you put your bun on? I would just like some more info to take to the vet tomorrow.
--metacam,meloxicam-(Mobic)-s,-are bunny safe meds,-they are (non-steroid) meds..-for inflammation,swelling,pain,fever,--I stated non steroidal meds because extreme caution must be used with unknown meds- try this link http://www.medirabbit.com --rabbits are herbivores with extremely sensitive gi-tract -(an ecosystem)--that given if something disrupts it,-a domino effect of illness,s will be triggered...-a radiogragh is recommended to isolate the injury,and proper treatment given -sincerely james waller,- excitement,fear,can produce injury due to the rear leg strength-and a weak spot generated in the spine..:bunnybutt::bunny22::inlove:

Sadly the little girl did not make it. The vet did confirm she did indeed brake her back :( Not sure how it happened but i feel terrible. I moved her sister with another litter so she doesn't stress about being alone. I have been raising rabbits about 8 years and have never had this happen.

Sadly the little girl did not make it. The vet did confirm she did indeed brake her back :( Not sure how it happened but i feel terrible. I moved her sister with another litter so she doesn't stress about being alone. I have been raising rabbits about 8 years and have never had this happen.
--we all learn from them ,-sometimes it is bazzar and totally unexpected and we do the best we can,--my deepest condolences,-sincerely james waller :bouquet::bunny22::pink iris::happybunny:

Latest posts

Back