Speaking of Turkey Day...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
If you are the one making dinner that is. My momand I have been emailing each other all morning discussing our birds,she's doing a brine this year. It just got me to thinking what everyoneelse is doing.

I am not going to stuff my bird this time, but instead going to sliceup a whole onion, an apple, put some fresh rosemary and parsley inside.I put olive oil, salt and pepper on the outside, place the bird on arack, and cover the bottom of the pan with at least a cup of water, andmaybe some white wine. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for howeverlong it's needed. (I'll figure that out Wednesday night when I'mpreping stuff.)

I am still making bread stuffing, using a recipe out of Joy Of Cooking.And mashed potatoes, of course. I totally suck at making gravy, so I douse a packaged mix. Also rolls, cranberry sauce, and glazed carrots.The glazedcarrots are sooo yummy, I'll post a recipe ifanyone wants it.

That is a lot of food for two people, but I love leftovers. We have a ten pound bird, it was the only one I could find!

My mother puts slices of apple(not peeled), pineapple pieces and prunes on a turkey. It makes it sweet and juicy.

The Missus has been having a great deal ofsuccess with brining meats before cooking. If we've a potlarge enough for a 13 lb turkey, I suspect she'll brine it beforeroasting.

Mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed onions, creamed spinach, broccoliw/cheese sauce, cranberry relish, and pumpkin pie round out the menu.

Ummm, um!

Buck

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Oh yeah, I am making a pumpkin pie too. Can't forget the pumpkin pie!!!

I have never brined anything before, but I really want to some day. Idon't have a large enough stock pot to do it in, and am waiting to buyone until I have a place to store it. We have good storage in ourapartment, but the kitchen is small and I just don't have room forsomething that large.

Im roasting my turkey basted with butter,And weare having mashed potatoes ,peas,brussel sprouts,dressing and rolls,also cranbery sauce which i love.Im making the pies today as soon as idecide what kind i think one pumkin one cherry.We are having twothanksgiving dinners one on thursday one on sunday because my brotheris comng home from iraq.bluebird

That's wonderful, bluebird, that you're brother's coming home onSunday! Give him a big hug, and tell him we appreciate all he's doingfor us.

I'm so happy for you and your family!

:dude:

-Carolyn

I'm preparing to watch the future in laws preparethe bird. Growing up in an Italian family we always had some type ofpasta first, followed by a turkey. Now I'm marrying into anotherItalian family who serves manicotti first, followed by the turkeydinner. Manicotti is a pretty heavy-duty meal in itself so I might berolling home from New Jersey this year on my side.

Anyone else have family traditions that carry over from the "old country"?

Sarah wrote:
I'm preparing to watch the future in laws prepare the bird.Growing up in an Italian family we always had some type of pasta first,followed by a turkey. Now I'm marrying into another Italian family whoserves manicotti first, followed by the turkey dinner. Manicotti is apretty heavy-duty meal in itself so I might be rolling home from NewJersey this year on my side.

Anyone else have family traditions that carry over from the "old country"?

Italians can really eat. We went to Italy in May and whenever we wentto a restaurant we could never finish first course and then the secondcourse. But the food was great. I love pizzas in Italy.

I am from Russia and when we have family dinners, its always two coursemeals. First course are salads(lots of them) and the second course areturkey or chicken and potatoes.

I'm French. We just like to drink a lot of wine. :p

My grandmother always made a meat stuffing, which is a Frenchy thing I think, but I never cared for it that much.

Well, I'm alone this year as they sent hubby offto the desert just a week and a half ago. We are hopeful thathe will be home before Christmas so I'm not going to complainany. However, this leaves me in Utah with all my family inFlorida. So... a friend from work is going to come over andwe're just going to cook a couple of turkey breasts. I haveno clue how to cook them so we'll see what we come up withtomorrow. We're not doing anything fancy to go with themthough really... some steamed veggies and a pumkin pie that I'm aboutto go fix. Other than that.. just enjoying the day to relaxand hoping Luke can at least call me sometime during theevening.

BTW... He's not in the thick of things over there at all, I just can'tsay where he is at. However, I can assure you allthat he should be almost as safe where he is as he would be at home soI'm not "worried" about him too much more than normal... just missinghim a lot....

Oh yeah... I just checked the website where Tramp and Pidge were listedfor adoption and they are not there anymore so I think they have founda new family already. After the rush of the Thanksgivingholiday is settled a bit I'll call them to make sure! I justreally really hope they are in a great home where someone will lovethem and take the time with them that they need.

Finally...HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!!

-Cheryl

Lissa wrote:
My mom always does the dirty work. I just eat it. :)
That's pretty close to how it goes for me too Lissa, it's great isn'tit? My aunt and grandma always make everything although my aunt keepsbugging me that it is my turn to clean andstuff a turkey. Idon't thinks so :shock:I prefer being able to say that no, Ihave never put my hands in the empty cavity of a turkey. Thank Godsomeone else in my family is willing to, ;)otherwise Turkeyday may turn into pizza day :p

Fergi's mom

P.S. I usually do all the dishes and help clear the table so I do pitch in, one year I even made a frozen blueberry pie!

AnnaSwrote:Italians can really eat. We went to Italy inMay and whenever we went to a restaurant we could never finish firstcourse and then the second course. But the food was great. I lovepizzas in Italy.

[line]

I went to an I talian restaurant once and first they served salad(itwas so good) but then when they were going to give us the thing weordered everyone was full!:D

I think I'm going to my aunt's house which isabout 1 and ahalf hours away. I don't know what to do with Nepo. I'm trying toconvince my parents to bring him with us(in a plastic container whichis a little bigger than his cage. And I'll put bedding stuff in it andhis foodbowl and some toys) But if not my brother has afriend that has bunnies and she might be able to babysit him.

I'm doing a brine....then roasting myturkey....I'm also cooking a ham....dressing, gravy, green beans,deviled eggs, rolls, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, and pistachio pudding. Iknow that's a lot of food but this year we're having like a familyreunion on turkey day. So, there'll be a lot of hungry people around toeat it all.

Lanna

It's so much fun tosee what all of you are doing tomorrow! I've got at least 14 coming fordinner. I'm doing two turkeys, we are trying the big fryer this year.Mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beancasserole, baked corn, cranberry salad,orange-pineapplesalad, watergate salad,deviled eggs, relish plate, rolls,pecan pie, pumpkin pie and somebody else better do the dang dishes!!!!Happy Thanksgiving you all!

Raspberry

MMMmMMMMM. Now I so want Deviled Eggs. Those aresuch a Thanksgiving treat. My husband doesn't like them, or thinks hedoesn't, but I have no qualms about tossing back half a dozen. :p

Yes, I pig out for holiday dinners.

Stephanie wrote:
MMMmMMMMM. Now I so want Deviled Eggs. Those are such aThanksgiving treat. My husband doesn't like them, or thinks he doesn't,but I have no qualms about tossing back half a dozen. :p

Yes, I pig out for holiday dinners.
Okay Stephanie, if you toss backhalf a dozen deviled eggs, it's no wonder your husband doesn't likethem....

Good point! I'vejust been dying for a good reason to use the farting smiley and thatwas the best shot I had at it! :p

Latest posts

Back