Spaying?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nut

Reaction score
Okay, so I know it is definately worth it for health reasons, especially for female rabbits. I'm just really worried about putting her under anesthesia. She is still pretty little, and I don't want her to die. She lives alone, so it isn't a breeding issue, although it could be if I want to introduce her to my friend's rabbit.

She's 4 and a half months old, what age is good for spaying? She is between 2 and 3 lbs I think, but I can't be certain. I'm not even certain she's a girl. :p If she is spayed, does she stop growing? I'd really like her to reach her potential size. Does it affect appearance? Hopping shows I'd like to train her in, do they usually require them to be unspayed? I won't put her health at risk just for her to enter shows, it's just a question of mine.

Really, I need some help on this issue. I don't know what to do...

One of the main reasons you would want to get her spayed is to avoid the chance of her getting either polyps/lesions (I think that's what they are called!) in her uterus, or even cancer. One of our mods has had a scare with this jsut recently, see this thread. http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31856&forum_id=16

It will also help to keep her litter habits good, and she won't get cranky the way does can when they are unspayed and have all the hormones running through them. She will still go through what is called the teenage stage, where she will likely be kinda a pain in the butt, LOL. She will grow out of that, though.

I belive six months is about the right age for a spay, you don't have to worry about doing it right away. If you aren't sure about the gender of your bunny, the vet will be able to tell you when you do a pre-surgery checkup. Getting spayed won't stop her growing, or change her appearance at all. After surgery, her belly will be shaved of fur, and you will see what looks like a samll cut there, which will have either a few stitches or tissue glue holding it together, depending on what your vet uses.

If she has stitches, you will take her back to the vet to have them removed about ten days after the surgery. The fur on her belly will grow back in a couple of weeks, and you won't even be able to tell she had surgery done. I hope this helps you out, if you have any toher questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Nut,

You sound like a very responsible rabbit slave. I have a rescue and see what happens when rabbits aren't spayed/neutered. We have a male that has survived testicular cancer.

In the hands of a skilled and experienced rabbit vet, rabbit surgeries have become much safer. But always remember there is risk in any medical prodecure so the key is to determine if the benefits outweighs the risks. We have done the spay/neuter thing hundreds of times. I have successfully sedated baby cottontails, and they are notoriously more delicate then domestics, at a fraction of the weight of your bunny. Spays can be done starting at about 6 months assuming she is in good health otherwise. There are some things to discuss with your vet prior to the procedure. I have been doing this a long time.....and if I see a new vet, this is what I am looking for.

Ask about removing food the night before. Many times the front desk people will tell you that out of habit or lack of education. Food and/or water should not be removed. Some vets will ask that pellets be removed at least two hours before the sedation but your rabbit should have access to hay and water at all times....we have had rabbits eating hay as they started the sedation. Ask about anesthesia. Most vets use an older gas inhalent known as Isoflourane. It is widely used and is safe. Some of the more modern clinics use a newer gas inhalent called Sevoflorane. If you have a choice...go with the Sevo. We have been very pleased with it and the rebound time after recovery is much faster. Some of the more progressive vets also use an injectable anesthesia. You will read in many articles that these are unsafe. Simply not true. In fact, this anesthesia can be reversed with an injection of a reversing agent. We normally use the injectable in longer duration procedures such as complex dental issues. Ask abou sutures. We insist on laser surgery. There is some debate in the vet community about the benefits versus additional cost of laser. We always take the laser with spays. The incision is clean and there is less blood loss. With the clean cut, our vet uses internal self-dissolving sutures and makes the final close with surgical glue. No sutures to chew on or become infected....or that need a follow up to be removed. Insist on aggressive post op pain management. Most vets offer metacam. While this is an excellent drug, in my non-professional opinion based on our many surgeries, it is insufficient. I insist on narcotics. My girls are always eating within hours after the procedure.

In my opinion, and as per our policy, we always feel it is in the best interests of the rabbit to have her spayed. We do not breed here at all so the our feeling of our vets and us is that if those parts are not there, they can't cause problems down the road. It will not affect her growth but might help her disposition after she becomes hormonal. Not only will it eliminate any possibility of female health issues, it will prevent her from the stressful events known as false pregnancies. Hope this helps with your decision.

Randy

I'm the member that had to face my girl having pre-cancerous tissue in her uterus recently. She just got spayed the day before yesterday, and is doing wonderfully. She's already eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, moving around, ready to bust her way out to play...she's such a little trooper.

She's a bit young for her to have had this issue (as the starting age is usually around 3yrs, and she's just turned 2yrs of age), but who knows...it was her time to get spayed, definitely. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to wait that long to get their doe spayed...as it's just not worth the risk.

It sounds like you're ready to do what needs to be done for your baby, though...so that's wonderful!!

Either way, it's good for their health (see above), and helps with litter training, and helps with behaviour, and so many other hormone-related issues, it's just worth getting it done as soon as your bun is old enough.

While I'm here, I thought I'd also include the Spaying and Neutering thread from the Rabbit Health section of the Lagomorph Library on the forum here.

Hugs!!

Rosie*

Aww, I'm glad your bun is better. :)

I'm definately going to get her spayed. Thanks for the info, I already knew about the eating, and that there was a different drug, but I didn't know anything about it. Thanks for all the info, I'll be sure to check it out. My best friend's mom works at the vet, and has the perfect vet in mind.

Litter training isn't so bad with her now, but I do want to keep other bad habits from appearing. I just don't want my girl's attitude to change...I was reading that they can get nasty for up to a year...mad at everything. I tend to get very upset at any sign my bun doesn't want to cuddle, so I'd hate for that to happen. :(

Nut wrote:
I was reading that they can get nasty for up to a year...mad at everything. I tend to get very upset at any sign my bun doesn't want to cuddle, so I'd hate for that to happen. :(
Getting her spayed doesn't cause that. NOT getting spayed can cause her to act that way, because of the hormones. Also, she will probably go through what we call the teenage months, and she may be kinda grouchy and stubborn then. But it's only temporary, you just have to sort of bear with her while she goes through it.

ra7751 wrote:
Hi Nut,

You sound like a very responsible rabbit slave. I have a rescue and see what happens when rabbits aren't spayed/neutered. We have a male that has survived testicular cancer.

In the hands of a skilled and experienced rabbit vet, rabbit surgeries have become much safer. But always remember there is risk in any medical prodecure so the key is to determine if the benefits outweighs the risks. We have done the spay/neuter thing hundreds of times. I have successfully sedated baby cottontails, and they are notoriously more delicate then domestics, at a fraction of the weight of your bunny. Spays can be done starting at about 6 months assuming she is in good health otherwise. There are some things to discuss with your vet prior to the procedure. I have been doing this a long time.....and if I see a new vet, this is what I am looking for.

Ask about removing food the night before. Many times the front desk people will tell you that out of habit or lack of education. Food and/or water should not be removed. Some vets will ask that pellets be removed at least two hours before the sedation but your rabbit should have access to hay and water at all times....we have had rabbits eating hay as they started the sedation. Ask about anesthesia. Most vets use an older gas inhalent known as Isoflourane. It is widely used and is safe. Some of the more modern clinics use a newer gas inhalent called Sevoflorane. If you have a choice...go with the Sevo. We have been very pleased with it and the rebound time after recovery is much faster. Some of the more progressive vets also use an injectable anesthesia. You will read in many articles that these are unsafe. Simply not true. In fact, this anesthesia can be reversed with an injection of a reversing agent. We normally use the injectable in longer duration procedures such as complex dental issues. Ask abou sutures. We insist on laser surgery. There is some debate in the vet community about the benefits versus additional cost of laser. We always take the laser with spays. The incision is clean and there is less blood loss. With the clean cut, our vet uses internal self-dissolving sutures and makes the final close with surgical glue. No sutures to chew on or become infected....or that need a follow up to be removed. Insist on aggressive post op pain management. Most vets offer metacam. While this is an excellent drug, in my non-professional opinion based on our many surgeries, it is insufficient. I insist on narcotics. My girls are always eating within hours after the procedure.

In my opinion, and as per our policy, we always feel it is in the best interests of the rabbit to have her spayed. We do not breed here at all so the our feeling of our vets and us is that if those parts are not there, they can't cause problems down the road. It will not affect her growth but might help her disposition after she becomes hormonal. Not only will it eliminate any possibility of female health issues, it will prevent her from the stressful events known as false pregnancies. Hope this helps with your decision.

Randy

I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful post. You provided such great information.:D

Latest posts

Back