Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyandme

Reaction score
Oreo is 4 months old now, and we'll bescheduling her spay in a few months....I am so scared about thisthough. I've actually cried. I am so afraid of loosing my preciousbunny. I'm afraid she wont make it through the surgery. Is there anyonewho can give me a little hope here?

I feel the same way. I have postponed to getMocha spayed because I am worried that she wont make it. I just feelshe is sooo tiny and delicate. But I think it is the mommy in us thatmakes it soo hard. I know there are many people on this forumwho have had successful spays and neuters. Possibly you can talk to thevet hospital doing the spay and ask if they'll call as soon as its overso you know she came through okay.;)

We have had 3 females spayed so far. Ihave worried and worried about them till we would call after thesurgery and make sure they were fine! By the same token, anddon't think I am being cold...I would rather lose my bunns underanesthetic than have them suffer and die slowly from cancer lateron. This was the one thing that made me decide to spay forsure. I want my bunns to be with me for as long as possible!

I am sure your bunn will be fine! Do you trust yourvet? Are they rabbit savvy? If it will make you feel better,arrange to talk to the vet doing the spay...he can answeryour questions and put your mind at ease! Every bunns mom anddad is entitled to worry and lose sleep! That's what makesyou a good mom!:D

:yeahthat

I've also had three buns spayed. For the first few days,Mocha didn't want to eat anything that I wasn't holding forher. She's a spoiled little princess. Fey andSprite were just tired but started eating as soon as they gothome. Three days later, they were bouncing and binkyingeverywhere and I had to cut their confinement short... because Fey wasjumping past the 26 inch tall blockade!:shock:

Definately talk to your vet about your concerns. Make sure hetreats rabbits regularly. Also ask about post-surgerypainkillers as they are necessary. My vet gives along-lasting shot before they go home. Amazingly enough,there are still some vets who don't give anything. Ouch!

Also, if you're concerned you should have her blood tested before thesurgery. My vet recommends that animals of all ages haveblood tests run before surgery, but they don't require it.They will check for liver and kidney function, which could change howthe anesthetic affects the body. Most vets require apre-surgery checkup too where they check heart, lungs, teeth,etc. Some will do this on the same day as the surgery, beforeanesthetics are given.

i worried myself actually SICK about Ryo's spay.and it turned out fine. be sure they give you some pain meds. thehardest thing for me was examining her stitches a few times a day tomake sure she didnt chew them. i stayed up with her two whole nights,and while i slept, hubby watched to make sure she wasnt chewing it. imsure it was un nesicary but i was sooo worried

Yes She is going to a rabbit savvy vet. Its oneof the ones listed on this site for Kalamazoo. Milwood Animal Clinic.So how long does it take for stitches to heal? I will definatly ask totalk to the vet doing her surgery, and ask about pain meds for Oreo aswell.

Whe we had our bunns spayed they were bouncingaround and back to normal in a couple of days! I know thesheet they sent home said to keep them quiet for a week!! Idon't think I kept them quiet for more than a day!:shock:

Our vet didn't use stiches on our first female or the male lop theyused surgical glue...and personally I love it to pieces! Thewounds seemed to heal faster and because there were no stitches toremoved later no stressful vet visit either! Our last 2 girlshad the stitches and I had to constantly check to make sure theyweren't chewing on them...which of course they would! Andthey def didn't like having them removed!:?

Something to consider if they don't already do it too... our vet did anall over bunny check while they were under anesthetic...molarsetc...it's alot easier to do an indepth bunny check up when they aren'tkicking you!! :lol: My vet would know! Hegot the grand kick of all time from Skittles!! He reallyavoids those back feet now!!!:lol:

Our vet also does mandatory blood work before the spay to make surethere aren't any complications that might arise fromanesthetic! A very good idea I think!:)

The first bunny I ever had died after thesurgery. I was petrified to try it again, but Daphne and Noah camethrough with flying colors. Just make sure you finda vet whois experienced with rabbits, not just small animals in general. Thereare no guarantees, but make sure you make the wisest choice you canbefore you make your choice. There is so much info on the net. Baringany unknown illness your bunny will be fine. If you want to make sure,opt for the extra $$ and have the pre-surgery blood work done.

My vet uses internal dissolvingstitches. They're tucked up where the bunny can't chew themand they dissolve after about two weeks. They workgreat! If you can, find a vet that uses either those orsurgical glue. Some vets use non-dissolving stitches orsurgical staples that have to be removed later. This means anextra trip to the vet, and rabbits seem more likely to chew them,probably because they're not as comfortable.

Oh WOw! I amso afraid. Thi is my precious lil babygirl we're talking about here,and there could be a slight chance she could die during surgery....Ohwow. I can't bare the though. Before I schedule her checkup in July,I'll ask about costs, after surgery meds, and methods of closinginsisions. Oh it will definatly be worth the extra money to have blooddrawn and checked.

Thanks for all your advice and comfort...shes my precious....I neverthought having her could affect me this way, I've really fallen inlove. I live alone and having her there with me, just makes my days somuch better. I love my bunny cuddles and kisses, don't know what I'd dowithout them.

im that way with Ryo

and really starting to get attatched to alex too. its up toyou, but remember how important it is to get females spayed.

i wasnt even planning on keeping Ryo. i never wanted her, and didntwant much to do with her. she was a rescue bunny i was going to try torehome, but i ended up falling in love with her nursing her (with novet help) through gi stasis. now my life revolves around her. TRUST me,i know how you are feeling and how scared you are. the whole time Ryowas in surgery i was in the waiting room. she advised me to go homebecause i may be waiting 5 or 6 hours. but i stayed the whole time. andi was setting there so nervous. i remember that day being the moststressful day of my life. and thats saying something for me because ihave a bad anxiety disorder.

and i remember the first four days of having her back home, i wouldcome home expecting to see a bunny with her insides hanging out (fromchewing on it) my heart would sink with fear every time i had to lookat her boo boo to see if it was getting infected. i ended up calling into work for three days so i could watch her every move.

i didnt even sleep for the first few nights because i was watching her. and she never onced chewed herself or had any problems.

but it all worked out fine, just have faith

I know exactly how you feel. My doe, Zoey, wasjust spayed in April and I was a nervous wreck. I contemplated manytimes not getting her spayed but I insisted I stick to my plan and I'mam ever so glad I did! Her personality has only improved. She hascalmed down significantly and is much more of an attention hog. She isjust a sweeter girl and no more hug disasters in her cage.

To be honest the hardest part was after the spay. I sent her to the veta day I had school so that I would be preoccupied with other thingsbecause I was so worried about her. Anyways, when I got her home shedidn't eat for 36 hours and for the 24 hours after that the only wayshe would eat was if I fed her from my hand. I spent hours with herjust trying to get her to eat and that was the hardest, I was soworried the shock would be too much. It might have been worse becauseshe didn't have pain meds but it's still worrisome.

You have to think that there is a risk with ANY procedure, human ornot, but the whole picture is what you have to look at. A lot morerabbits survive spays than don't and that's even more true with arabbit savy vet. I know my vet put me at ease when he was so confidentthat a spay was a simple procedure and most likely she'd be ok.

As a side note, she also had dissolvable stitches and since she had laser surgery, the incision was so tiny.

Ryohad inturnal stitches, staples on the outside and a tad of glue.

i think i said this before but pain meds are important. try to get thevet to give you enough for at least four days. make her less likely tochew at her boo boo, and make her eat drink move, and just heal better.

I remember the first time I had a bunny spayed.I was terrified too! And after many, manymorespaysand neuters, I am still a wreck the whole day that oneneeds to be done. But don't let your worries prevent you from gettingit done! All my bunnies are rescues and I have had quite a few younggirls come to me who already have uterine or ovariancancer!Risking the horrors of cancer is worse for your bunnythan the surgery itself.

Oh, and one more thing, DO make sure your vet is experienced withrabbits.A lot of vets are willing to work on rabbits but theyaren't qualified to work on"exotics". Many say thatisofluorine gas is thesafest anesthetic touse onbunnies. Check to see whatyour vet uses.

Best wishes....:)

I think all bunny parents are concerned aboutspaying and neutering. I've had one rabbit spayed and one neutered -both were fine afterwards. I was pretty nervous in the days leading upto my bunnies' big day (both were done on the same day), and I was acomplete wreck the day of the surgeries. It turned out I was worriedfor no reason. While any rabbit surgery carries risk, if you find askilled vet your bunny will be fine.

I was worried sick when the boys went in fortheir op so i called the vets and asked LOTS of questions. I even askedwhat their success rate was on bunny ops. She told me exactly what theywould do and how, and even told me that one of the big dangers is thatthey give them a tranquiliser to slow their heart because they get soscared and this means that their circulation isn't as good because ofthe slowed heart rate and that they can die from being cold on theirextremities. To counterbalance this my vet wrapped the boys feet andears in a little bubble wrap socks and a hat to keep them snuggly warmduring the op.

Lots of snippets of info like that made me feel lots better although Iwas still really worried when they went in. When we took them I putlots of little bags of their favourite foods in the box for them,basil, celery, cabbage and treats and the vets rang me as soon as theycame out of theatre to tell me they were fine (Even though I couldn'tpick them up for about 4 hours)

They both ate their nice treats straight away and had tissue glue notstitches so only needed to go back one day leter for a quick check up.

Good luck, be brave and ask millions of questions first!

Robyn

Back