Spaying the female in a bonded pair-any advice is appreciated!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi

Reaction score
I have a bonded pair of bunnies, a neutered male and an unspayed female, who have been together since March when they were a couple of months old.

I am spaying my girl tomorrow and know I need to keep her inside for a few days, which is fine. What I am concerned about is them being separated for those few days. I am fully intending to be around almost constantly for those few days and I intend to make sure they have regular supervised visits but ultimately they will be separate for a time and Im worrying myself silly that this will break their bond. I am in rented accommodation while my house is sorted after a major leak and I am not supposed to have the bunnies in at all so moving their hutch, etc inside is not an option. I intend to set her up with a small run inside to use while he stays outiside in their (large) hutch.

I do want her spayed as it will eliminate her risk of getting certain cancers, etc and I am also seeing some behaviour in her that I am hoping spaying will reduce.

If anyone has experienced this situation where they have had to separate a bonded pair for a time I would really appreciate any advice you have.

Ive been lurking for a while but this is my first post, thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

What are the temperatures like where you live? My rabbits are indoors and were spayed in October (was still warm here at the time); I could tell they were quite sensitive to cool temps the very first night - I actually turned the AC off because their ears felt so cool. However, that sensitivity to temperature generally only lasts 24-36h - depending on your weather, how their hutch is set up, etc. it may be safe to put her back outside as early as 36-48h after her spay. Bunnies heal faster in the company of a bonded companion, so it's best to put her back outside as soon as it's safe to do so.

By the way, you didn't mention it - are you planning to bring him to the vet for her spay? He needs to go with her so she doesn't come home smelling like "weird vet's office".

Since separating them is unavoidable, it may help to try to keep them smelling familiar to each other by swapping some bedding between her indoor area and his hutch and vice versa or something like that - you could give them each a scrap of fleece as a blankie and trade them back and forth so they both continue to smell the other rabbit when they're not together.

Chances are, though, if they're getting to see each other daily, the hours apart probably won't upset their bond. If it does, a supervised playdate or two on *neutral* territory can often get a bond back on track - I used that trick to mend my girls' bond the couple of times they've had a falling out.

Thanks for the reply, I have arranged to be around alot over the next few days (hubby helping out) and so the only really long periods of time they will be separated will be overnight which will be unavoidable unfortunately. During the day I will bring him in to visit as often as possible (supervised of course).

Good suggestions with the blankets!

Hutch outside is in a sheltered area with an insulated cover and an outer weather cover, weather is wet but temps quite mild so hopefully by the end of the weekend we will be back to semi normality!

Thanks again.

If it's at all possible, the best thing would probably be to keep them both together inside, as long as he doesn't bug her too much, and she doesn't get too humpy so she doesn't risk injury to the incision.

Well, it all went like a dream. Shes been home a few hours, moving around nicely. I have her inside in my small run (6 by4) with blankets and towels to lie on. She hasnt eaten so far but has had a drink and produced a number of droppings so I am assuming she ate some of the food I left at the vets for her.

I brought Barnaby (my male) in and they have had a couple of hours supervised together although it became obvious really quickly there was no cause for concern in that area, he ate her food, messed up all her blankets and then snuggled up next to her and groomed her for ages.

I am keeping them separate overnight tonight but I am around for the next few days so he can be in with her all day.

Just want to see her eat something now but Im confident that will come.

Alls good, dont know what I was panicking about now! LOL

I'm glad it all went well. You'll want to keep a close eye on the eating. What have you tried? Leafy greens were the first thing my buns would eat. Did you get any pain meds from the vet?

No meds to take home, she had a pain relief injection when I picked her up, they are open 24/7 and 5 minutes up the road so I wasnt too concerned about that. I took my male in after a day or so for another shot when he was done and it was quick and easy.

Shes not eating alot but has had a tiny bit of hay and some curly kale (one of her favourites). She also accepted some dried carrot that is part of a treat mix they sometimes have a little of. I have seen her drinking a few times and she has been to the toilet and is moving around with no issues so Im happy so far, I read on another post that their dry food is often the last thing they start eating again.

My male is coming in alot for visits and theres no issue there and although I dont want to mess around with her too much I have had a little look at the wound site and it looks very neat and clean.

Dont want to jinx it but Im a happy bunny parent at the moment.

Only thing is that I put in a very low sided kitten litter tray for her in the corner with some bedding in and she has taken to sleeping in it, LOL! Not ideal when shes not supposed to sit on bedding but I suppose shes finding it the most comfortable place so I will leave her be.

Suzi

For a female, I would absolutely go back to the vet and pick up some metacam for after the shot wears off. Males are typically good with 1-2 days of pain relief, but females need around 4-5. I ended up giving both my girls a once-daily dose for the first three days after the shot ran out (so four days of pain relief total).

Pellets are, indeed, usually the last thing they go back to eating. It really doesn't sound like she's eating enough, though. My girls had NO appetite the first night, but by the next morning they were willing to be tempted into eating fruit. I called the vet that morning and was told to let them eat whatever they wanted, just for that day, even if it meant a good bit more fruit than they were normally allowed. If you can tempt her into eating some fruit, that should do; otherwise, you might want to supplement by syringing some Critical Care or a homemade pellet slurry. The nausea from after-effects of anesthesia lasts around 24-36 hours, so by tonight you should see a noticeable increase in appetite :).

Thanks, shes been napping alot the last couple of hours but my husband just got her to eat a little bit of fruit. I agree its not much though.

I plan to keep watch until about 4 and then phone and speak to the vets about what she has eaten and whether I need pain meds.

Im still reasonably happy at the moment, she has been drinking and has has a couple of wees. Her husbun is in with her at the moment and Im hoping he might encourage her if hes eating.

Do you know what, I just looked outside and thought 'I wonder...'.

Went outside and picked a fistful of fresh grass from the lawn and shes wolfed it! : )

Im going to get my kids out there with a bag.

That's good she's eating a bit more. You just need to be careful giving fresh grass if it isn't something she is used to, as it can cause digestive upset. If she's used to getting it then there shouldn't be a problem, but if she isn't, then it's best not to give her more than a tiny bit. Also if you treat your lawn with chemicals at all, then it's better not to give any. For my recent bun neutered, I had to keep giving him little bits of leafy greens as that is all he would eat. He would only eat a little bit at a time, so every 1/2-1 hour I gave him a little bit more. So if your bun isn't eating very much at one time, just keep trying little amounts more frequently.

I'm glad you'll be talking to the vet about pain meds. You actually may find her perk up and more willing to eat once she's had some. Rabbits in pain won't have much of an appetite. Of course the nausea from the anesthesia will play a part as well.

Shes an outdoor bun normally with daily access to grass so it was fine. She did take a bit of a dive this afternoon so I popped up to the vets who gave her another dose of pain relief, she also gave me some to take home. I went out for a bit and when I came back she was perky again and was picking at her hay and greens again so I have held off on the syringe feed for tonight hoping I dont have to resort to it ( was stressful using it with my male when he needed it ).

Anyway, fingers crossed shes better tomorrow. At least I have the painkillers now and the worry I had that it would upset the bond between my two has vanished. Hes in every couple hours for a visit and alls fine. : )

It sounds like her appetite is starting to return - continuing with the pain medications should be enough to make sure she keeps eating. You'll still want to monitor her eating closely, of course, but around the time you see her eat a few pellets (make sure to replace those with fresh ones each day if uneaten, by the way) you should be totally in the clear. I think mine started being interested in pellets again around day 2 after their spays. You might try hand-feeding pellets if you haven't yet, sometimes that makes them more appealing :p

It sounds like she's recovering smoothly; I'm glad to hear that their bond doesn't seem to have suffered!

She hadnt eaten anything during the night so tried the syringe feed this am, only got a very small amount in but she will eat herbs and greens and she took a teaspoon of soaked pellets from me. Still very little but I will keep it up, I have my youngest son at tennis this morning but my husbands at home so hes brought in my male to be with her and says she seems perkier with him in there.

Im not keen on trying to force feed her, especially when it involves restraining her while she struggles.

its all very stressful but Im sure she will be fine in the end.

Hi, just a little update.

She is eating lots of veggies, a little fruit, the odd treat and some hay. Has eaten some of her dry food too, although not a 'full' portion yet, and drinking lots so Im happy enough. The dry food will come. Im also picking her the odd fistful of grass from the lawn which she scoffs. I havent even had to bother with the medicam or syringe food. I am giving her extra veggies and herbs as she isnt really eating the dry food yet (maybe in a day or two I will stop doing that and see if thats part of the reason why, just want her to have whatever she will eat for now).

I have put her out in the hutch this morning so I can keep an eye for a couple of hours and all seems well so far, shes eating the hay on the floor, snuggling and grooming with her man (precious every time I watch it) and hopping about (up and down the little ramp they have between floors) as though the op was months ago!

She cant go in the run on the grass for another week but Im keen to get her back out and in her hutch before she gets too used to being inside so Im keeping an eye today and hopefully that will be that.

Just one thing though, it is cold today but if all seems well (and bearing in mind my hutch has covers) Im assuming shes ok being back out overnight?

Latest posts

Back