Spaying rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
Hello. Sorry for posting another topic but i'mjust curious to ask. If you rabbits spayed, how much does it costs, andwhat age do you have to do it? Does it work on both female and malerabbits? What does spayed do? Also, do you have the get your petsinsurance or anything?

Sorry for asking too many questions . :D

I'm not sure how much it costs, that probablyvaries from veterinarian to veterinarian. I know with my rabbit,because we adopted her, we got an "overpopulation" discount from ourvet, but not everyone does this.

Spaying is strictly for females, and it is the removal of herreproductive organs (uterus, ovaries). It prevents her from going intoheat or getting pregnant. It also reduces her risk of ovarian cancer,which is common in rabbits.

When this procedure is done on a male, it is called neutering, and itis the removal of the testicles. The same results: no babies.

You do not need pet insurance for these procedures.

~M

Does vary, depending upon where you arelocated and what the traffic will bear, I suspect. Here inNJ, not uncommon to pay $200.00-$300.00, but in other parts of thecountry I 've seen fees as low as $40.00.

We all mislabel it, but the procedure for a male is called castration,and female is spaying, which effectively "neuters" either sex.

Sometimes local SPCA's, animal control departments, animal sheltersprovide the service at little or no cost. We obtain reducedcosts by going through an organization called Animal Birth Control,Inc. The only caveat is that one must use the verterinarianthey have contracted with for the reduced fees.Coincidentally, their contracted vet happens to be our vet of choice,hence, a win/win situation for us.

Buck

Latest posts

Back