Spaying question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a Fixed male Embry who is bonded with my unspayed female Elena. I just wanted to know if anyone has been in this situation, and if it affected the bond when they got the female fixed. I want to get her fixed for health reasons, because it is better for them, but I don't want to wreck the bond.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Shannon.

I had Korr and Amelia bonded before I got Amelia spayed. I did get her spayed and didn't have any problems putting them back together once she was healed. I did have her on the top level of their cage (blocked off) so they could still interact while she healed. Once she was healed, I put them outside the cage to make sure they were still ok and since they were she went right back in with Korr.

Well, it should be said that a vet trip can effect a bond :( the female can come back smelling like other animals/like the vets office and your male could disapprove of that. I have heard of situations where people have brought both buns to the vet even though only one is being treated. But not sure if that's an option with a spay?? or with your vet.....

Otherwise, things could end up being fine like in Kates situation but there isn't any way to guarantee it.

We successfully had a neutered male with an unspayed female....he was a pet and she was a show bunny which is why she was not spayed. I would second some of what others have said...keep them in close proximity to each other after the surgery....take something that smells like Embry with Elena to the vet's.....rub a towel all over the inside of their cage....so she is surrounded by his scent! Wish you all the best of luck. Keep us posted!

Thank you guys. I was going to check with the vet and see if Embry could go with Elena. That way maybe he would be more accepting of her once her surgery is done. I am just a worry wart!

Thanks

Shannon

Back