Spaying/Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueberryBunbun

Reaction score
I've got a 4 month old (approximately) Lionheadbunny called Tufty, and she's not yet been spayed. I'm not planning onbreeding her, and she's my only bun (although she lives with a guineapig - Ned) Recently she's become very moody and territorial, refusingto be picked up, and grunting when ever I touch her "posessions" (andthis includes Ned!!) and stretches her neck out as if she's about tobite.

You all kindly explained to me this behaviour is due to her hormonesand the "teenage" years of a bun! You also told me that spaying sortsout this behaviour, so I spoke with my parents about it and they thinkit's a good idea. I'd like to ask some questions, because I'd like toknow all there is to know about spaying before I get it done... (im alittle nervous about it really, although its probably best for thebunny's health & happiness, etc)

Firstly, Does spaying really sort out behaviour? Will my bunny be madat me for having it done, and will she become more moody than beforebecause of the opperation, or will it help calm her down like she waswhen I first got her? Is it a safe, regular opperation, and do lots ofowners have it done? Are there any health benefits or health drawbacksbecause of the opperation? How should I handle my bunny before andafter the op? Are there any special things I need to provide for mybunny, and how long is the recovery period? Will it be safe for Ned tobe in the hutch with bunny after the op? (Bearing in mind that sheloves Ned, and although she bullies him a little, they never fight)

I'm going to speak to my vet in a couple of weeks time to get her nailstrimmed, and have her checked over and vaccinated, so I'll ask him/herwhat they think about spaying too.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading - Blueberry x x x :)

Spaying generally helps to calm down bunnies.
No they won't be mad. They may be grumpy for a while 'cause they're a bit sore, but it's no lasting effect.
Before the operation no changes are necessary. They eat up til the timeof the surgery and usually go home the same day. Of course, once she'shome it's best to let her sleep because she'll probably still be prettylethargic from the surgery. Until the vet removes the stitches orstaples it's a good idea to limit their activity so the incision isn'ttorn, but you should inspect it for swelling or redness at least twicea day.
Most owners who don't want to breed or show their rabbits have it done.There can be complications, mostly regarding rabbit physiology. Sincethey're so small and their hearts beat so fast it can becomecomplicated, but it's fairly unlikely.
Health benefits include better personality, longer life and she won't get ovarian cancer. I really can't think of any drawbacks.
Recovery period tends to be 3-4 weeks. My girl had her staples removed after a week and she was pretty much fully recovered.
There's no real special requirements. Your vet should go overafter-care with you and will give you some pain killers for her for thenext few days.
With the guinea pig, it's probably a good idea to seperate them untilshe's had her stitches/staples removed. You don't want the pig removingthem for her or getting her riled up and having her trying to runaround.

Overall I'd suggest discussing it with your vet and asking for information.

Thanks for your help!! :sunshine:

The only other things I need to know are, Will Tufty get too used tonot having the guinea pig in her hutch with her, and attack him when Iput him back in after she's recovered?

And does it cost a lot to get her spayed, cos I might have to save up?

Definitely get her spayed. It's usually under 200 dollars, just make sure you get a good vet.

As long as you keep their cages right next toeach other it shouldn't be a problem. The pig can visit but only whenyou're supervising.

Thank you for all your help, I've taken youradvice and Tufty has been booked into the vets for her opperation theweek after next. I'm a little nervous, but I know all I need to knownow, and am just hoping that everything goes okay!

Thank you again!

Blueberry x x x

Heheh! Sorry, that was funny: Nothing says "I'm sorry for putting you through surgery" Like oats!!

Cheers I'll remember to get her some of her fave treats. x x x

Latest posts

Back