Spaying/Nautering at what Age?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskerz

Reaction score
I plan to get my bunnies both fixed. I have a boy and girl. At what age is it safe to get them foxed?

edit: Sorry, I misspelled neutering in the title :rollseyes

At the humane society, they fixed my buns once they were 6 months old :)

I'm sorry T^T

I think it's like dogs though - (for boys at least).
Their balls need to drop (teehee XD).

I dunno... they justhave to be that certain age. D:
And I'm almost 100% sure it's always 6 months.

But how old are your buns?

They are only 6 1/2 weeks. They are VERY young...

I was hoping to get it done around 3-4 months, I called the vet I had planned to get it done with.
Im gunna talk to the Dr. about it. He knows a lot about rabbits.

If you can, wait till 6 months for the spay. Neuters can be done as soon as the testicles are visible. There's some new research coming out about how the female hormones help young animals build bone structure, and how spaying too early can be detrimental because of that. I think the current standard for spaying for most vets is for the bunny to reach 2lb before it is done. However, with some dwarf breeds, it may be a lower weight cutoff. Ask the vet about what he's comfortable with, and take the bone growth info into consideration. If you can't stand her hormonal behavior, then get her spayed. You shouldn't have to worry about pregnancy once it's 6 weeks after the boy is neutered, and he can probably be neutered around 3-4 months.

Latest posts

Back