Spaying My Tiny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petkeeper

Reaction score
Hi guys

I know this has probably be talked about to death, but I have a female rabbit who was born July 18, 2009. She is a flemish giant and an absolute angel! I want what is best for her, so I want to have her spayed when the time is right.

I am guessing about 4 months of age for her which will be in November. I am going to call around to find the best vet even if I have to travel. What I am hoping to find out from you guys is what questions I should ask the vet?

Most vets in my area won't spay rabbits, they say it is un-needed. But I know that is saves a lot of health issues and makes for a happier and healthier rabbit.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Shannon

I think its a really good idea that your getting your rabbit spayed. I haven't gotten mine spayed, and I'm just saying they will be a lot more better if you do. First off, my rabbit Bentley will get very snappy and mad when its 'her time of the month' and if you didn't know, they go into heat for like a week every month. She gets aggressive, and sometimes with hump other objects.. such as my guinea pig. Lol, I know, I stopped that XD Also, Bentley insists upon pooping and peeing everywhere if I take her out of her cage, and I believe if you get her spayed this will be less likely to happen.

Bentley wrote:
First off, my rabbit Bentley will get very snappy and mad when its 'her time of the month' and if you didn't know, they go into heat for like a week every month.
Rabbits don't go into heat. They are induced ovulators which means the eggs are released when they mate. Although there are times when they are more receptive, they do not have heat cycles.

4 months is a bit on the early side for spaying. I would wait until she is at least 6 months, if not a bit older as she is a giant breed. It won't hurt to start calling and find a vet, but you don't need to get it done right away. I would wait until at least the new year to get her done.

Ask what anaesthetic they use. I know there are some that are better than others. Check the Infirmary area of the forum for more info on it.
How long will they want to keep her after the spay? Some will want to keep them over night, but they should have someone there to check on the animals.
When is food taken away from rabbits before surgery. Rabbits can have food right up until they go under. They should also have it as soon as they wake up. Bring some of her food, hay and veggies so she has food she is used to.
What do they use to close the incision? Dissolvable sutures are best along with skin glue. They should not use staple as rabbits have very sensitive and thin skin.
Get pain meds. Again, check the infirmary for specifics on this.

There are more detailed lists about what to ask. Don't just ask about spays, ask general rabbit questions that deal with the medical side. The vet might not be the one you would go to for everything, but you want one that at least knows some of the basics of rabbit care.

I can assure you that rabbits do not have estrus....they are induced ovulators. But natural variances in hormonal levels do occur. Females ovulate shortly after the male mounts them. They also have a double horned uterus and can become pregnant again shortly after delivering a litter of kits.

I have been thru the spay/neuter thing many times. I would schedule an appointment with the vet for a physical exam prior to the surgery. This will allow you, and your rabbit, to meet the doctor and staff and you will have a feel for the practice. I see that might involve travel, but if it's possible, I highly suggest doing this. During the exam, you can also ask your vet questions. Food is one bit of information that is often communicated incorrectly. We do not remove food prior to the surgery. Some vets do ask that you remove pellets that morning, but you should not remove hay or water. We have had rabbits eating hay on the way to surgery. Most vets will use Isoflourane gas for anesthesia. This gas have proven to be effective and safe when used by a rabbit savvy vet. There is a new gas, Sevoflourane, that is much better....and more expensive. Not many vets use this gas yet. It's a quicker sedation and a much quicker rebound. Injectable anesthesia has long been considered "unsafe" but the more skilled vets are using it. Some of my rabbits have had it during complex dental surgeries. This method allows more precise control of the patient and also allows intubation. Injectables would not be indicated for a routine spay. If available, go with laser. There is debate in the vet community on the benefits of laser....but we have long been sold on the benefits of laser surgery for spays. The cleaner incision also allows for an easier close. We insist our vets use internal self-dissolving sutures with a final close with surgical glue. We have never had any problems. Take home pain meds are mandatory. The clinic will tell you they give a shot that is good for the duration...not true. Metacam is better than nothing but we insist on a narcotic (Buprenorphine) or a narcotic like drug (Tramadol) for post op pain management. Spays get pain meds for up to5 days...3 days is more common. Our buns are all eating within hours due to our aggressive pain management protocols. Get the pain meds issue dealt with prior to the surgery. Hope this helps.

Randy

The induced ovulation system of rabbits is actually really interesting from an endocrinology standpoint--we studied it in my endo class. It allows the rabbit to be ready to breed at any time the environment can support them and their offspring.

Randy has covered all the basics. I'm glad you're looking into getting her spayed. You can check if the local humane society has recommended vets or a low-cost spay/neuter program--mine does, and it's only $65. Here are some other good links to find a good rabbit vet:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15002&forum_id=10

We also have listings of rabbit-savvy vets listed by state.

Hi guys

Thank you all for the advice. I feel much better going in prepared. I am glad you told me when to have it done. I am new to the female rabbit spaying. I have only had male rabbits in the past. I am so worried about complications, and more worried about health issues if I don't!!

Thanks again!

Back