Spaying - laser vs traditional method

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy Bunny

Reaction score
Hey all!

My 5 1/2 month old lionhead/rex bunny is in need of spaying! She's getting extremely aggressive and from what i've heard from vets, it's time to spay! Well i've done my research calling all the vets and found one I liked. The price is a LOT (518 plus tax ouch!) but they take them the day before to get used to the place and not stressed out, do all the tests (physical, blood work and stool for parisites), and sounds like they take very good care and have lots of knowledge! My only worry is they use the traditional scalpel method. What's the difference between that and laser? I just want to make the right choice and want to hear your opinions and experiences. Thank you from me and Daisy (my bunbun!)

Check vets outside of Toronto. This is a thread in the general area from someone who found a vet about 1 hour away for a few hundred dollars less.

I don't think that rabbit really need to go in the day before surgery. They are going to be stressed anyway. My vet keeps them the night after to monitor them and make sure they are eating/pooping before sending them home.

I really don't know the difference between a scalpel and a laser. I do know that the laser is about $50 more expensive and is supposed to be easier for healing. I have never used it (at least not offered it specially) and not had any issues with healing for my rabbits.

We have had hundreds of shelter rabbits done with laser; itis just easier on the bun .. no stitches , less post operative pain, faster recovery

Laser is preferable over the scalpel, however, the tradional surgery is way preferable than not having her spayed at all. Just make sure that the vet hasdone a lot of spays successfully and be sure to get pain meds to take home.

100% laser but for that cost... Ouch maybe not.

The clinic i worked at used the laser, it was amazing. Cost was about 200 and that included the pre surgical exam, pre-meds, and pain meds. but 518... even with the blood work... which for a critter that young, doesn't seem to relevant but blood work is better for the older animals to make sure their system can handle the depression of anaesthetic. Though its still nice to know everything's a-okay inside.

Its a much smaller incision, there is still usually stitches, as its "zapping" the tissue its not crushing it like a scalpel would so there's less bruising, its cauterizing as it cuts so there's less bleeding, and generally makes for a faster surgery, a faster recovery, and a quicker heal.

The laser shouldn't cost too much more then a typical spay/neuter, however some clinics are expensive regardless.

Watermelons wrote:
100% laser but for that cost... Ouch maybe not.

The clinic i worked at used the laser, it was amazing. Cost was about 200 and that included the pre surgical exam, pre-meds, and pain meds. but 518... even with the blood work... which for a critter that young, doesn't seem to relevant but blood work is better for the older animals to make sure their system can handle the depression of anaesthetic. Though its still nice to know everything's a-okay inside.

Its a much smaller incision, there is still usually stitches, as its "zapping" the tissue its not crushing it like a scalpel would so there's less bruising, its cauterizing as it cuts so there's less bleeding, and generally makes for a faster surgery, a faster recovery, and a quicker heal.

The laser shouldn't cost too much more then a typical spay/neuter, however some clinics are expensive regardless.
the clinic used by the shelter uses surgical glue (neuters)and internal dissolvable stitches and glue( spays)

wow 200 with everything?! Yeah i can't find anything like that here.... Plus i don't want to travel hours away, that's stressful on the bunny too!

Hmmm... i really liked that vet but if laser is a lot better maybe thats the way to go?

there's pros and cons with both scalpel method and the laser method, the laser cauterizes as it cuts, less bleedingand whatnot, but it does take longer to heal from what i have seen. if you think, the laser is actually burning the skin, so that may make it more painful in some bunnies. with a scalpel there is a fresh cut area to stitch together, it heals quicker, and usually they use dissolvable stitches, and costs a little less. its more a personal preference than anything, ive seen both at work and they both do the job fine.

Latest posts

Back