Spaying and Adoption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panacrent

Reaction score
Well, angie has her spay date set up for christmas week.
Can someone give me a refresher course on the fasting, not-fasting argument for a bunny in surgery? I can't seem to remember...

Also, my dog just passed away recently:(:( and my mom is considering arabbit instead of another dog, to be part of our two kitty family.since i was terrible and bought angie from a mall pet store (i know, iknow, but if you'd seen her you wouldn't have been able to leave herthere either), we are looking around at rabbit shelters online and therabbits there that need good homes.

Everyone should reply and let my mom (and especially dad) know howgreat it would be to have more buns in our family because they are suchgreat companions, and they need a good place to live.

Here are my favorite buns from the online rosters in massachusetts:

I think in the other post somebody said thatrabbits do not need to stop eating before surgery since they can'tvomit during the surgery.

You are correct and it the vet tells you to makethe rabbit fast, that should be your first clue that his/her knowledgeabout rabbits is not up to snuff and you would do better to seekmedical assistance somewhere else.

Buck

Panacrent I too got my Bunny from a mall petstoreI couldn't leave her their either and quite honestly I dont regret oneminute of it then again I did my homework as well and found out who herbreeder was and got a hold of her on the phone and spoke to her aboutMy Stitch's background.

If i can sweet talk my hubby into letting me have another bun I will go to a shelter to get it.

Marie

Yes, rabbits need to eat up until their surgury,and as soon as they can after. We were lucky with Valuran, he waschowing down at the vet before we even picked him up. Abby, however, wehad to force feed every four hours for three days in a row so hersystem wouldn't shut down.

Tell your parents that bunny poop is easier to pick up than dog poop.And for the most part, less smelly. Can't give any promises if too manybananas are given...poopy can smell then. :p

Buck Jones wrote:
You are correct and it the vet tells you to make the rabbitfast, that should be your first clue that his/her knowledge aboutrabbits is not up to snuff and you would do better to seek medicalassistance somewhere else.

Buck

YES! Good post :)

I guess I just dont understand why its bad for them to not eat for a half day.
i do understand that they dont need to stop eating because of the vomit thing.
sorry to pretty much re-ask the same question, but could you explain the reason why 10 hours without food is so bad?

I know that part if it has to do with their "gut" function.

Rabbits continually eat, continually poop, and it's all a part of howtheir system works. If they don't have anything in their gutit can cause it to shut down. 10 hours to us is no big deal,but for a tiny little rabbit belly it's probably more like a week ormore.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I know that part if it has to do with their "gut" function.

Rabbits continually eat, continually poop, and it's all a part of howtheir system works. If they don't have anything in their gutit can cause it to shut down....
That's it, in a nutshell! Very succinct synopsis for thenecessity of not fasting pior to a surgery. Would like to addthat rabbits often don't feel like eating after anesthesia and surgery,so one compounds the problem if it has not eaten 8-12 hours beforehandand the system has a tendency to shut down even more.

Best thing for a healthy rabbit is to eat, and continue toeat. That is why we are all so concerned when arabbit goes off its feed. It is a precursor to many, manyrabbit health issues.

Buck

Told you I have learned a lot since I got Bo! :)

Lucky for me, Bo was hungry when he came home, but he was sleepy too,which can affect their diet. Girls tend to be less hungry.

The vetcan give your bunny a medicine that encourages food intake after surgery..... ask him about it.....

Latest posts

Back