Spaying a rabbit-does it cause anything?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spaying a rabbit doesn't cause any health problems that I've read.

I have read, however, that a bunny has a VERY high chance of getting cancer if she's not spayed.

So, I think your rabbit leader might have it a bit backwards.

It is important to have your vet check your bun thoroughly to be sure her health is good before performing a spay, but that's no problem at all, and worth having done anyway.

:)

Hope that helps!

Hugs!

Rosie & the Herd :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

What is a rabbit leader? Is that like for a 4H program? If so, she probably told you that spaying is bad because you usually can't show a spayed rabbit in competitions.

If she thinks it's bad in general, maybe you could print some info off for her to help her learn more. Spaying is very beneficial for pet rabbits and is highly recommended. For one thing,uterine cancer rates are very high even in rabbits that have been bred. For another, hormones in unspayed does and unneutered bucks often cause behavioral problems that people get very upset about,sometimes causing them to get rid of the rabbit. Common problems include marking territory with feces and urine, aggression,and mounting.

Plus, rabbits that have been spayed/neutered can be bonded with other rabbits and live together with less aggression problems and no babies.

If done by a vet that is experienced with rabbits, both spays and neuters are very safe.

There's lots of good info in the Library in this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

If you'd like to help your rabbit leader learn more (maybe you could doa presentation or something for the group?), here's a good basic article:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

Two other choice articles, if you are interested:
http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/Articles/Spay%20and%20Neuter.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/1155/UC.html

There is always a possible risk with all pets being fixed - especially spayed females.
The most common, is weight gain. With dogs and cats, it is possible to get lumps, arthritis, and tumors - but this is mostly seen in dogs. In fact, that's how one of my dogs died.
But don't worry, I've never heard 1 report of rabbits getting these problems other than obesity. Neutured males have a very less chance of gaining any type of problem, in which would only be obesity and laziness.
This is what I've witnessed, I've been told, and seen with my own eyes. I have a very fat female cat. My other cat is in fine shape.
But since there are others saying it's fine, there's probably nothing to worry about. If any type of problem occurs from it, it would be weight gain. I really don't understand how it happens. It's a little complex to understand.
Other than my cat, I don't nueture any of my pets. I have 2 male buns,and yes, they can become naughty, but like all animals - discipline is required. My parents failed to discipline our dogs(And their fixed.),one of them notorious for his ignorant behavior, started hurting my other dog in play fights. One day he hurt him really bad till he had a hard time walking - and unfortunately had to get a new home.
If you only own one rabbit - then you really don't need to fix her, though that is your choice.

Don't take my post seriously. I'm just putting in my 2 cents. I just happen to be one of a kind.

Bun~Bun wrote:
There is always a possible risk with all pets being fixed - especially spayed females.
The most common, is weight gain.
If you only own one rabbit - then you really don't need to fix her, though that is your choice.
Don't take my post seriously. I'm just putting in my 2 cents. I just happen to be one of a kind.

Weight gain depends on diet, not being spayed. The bunny may get less active and hyper and gain weight that way, and weight gain is natural with aging ONLY IF the diet and exercise are not adequate.

The risk of uterine tumors is far greater than the minor risk of being put under anesthetic, so I marked off 'No', it doesn't cause problems.Just make sure you're going to a bunny-savvy vet.

Keep in mind that rural communities where breeding rabbits is more predominant will typically carry rabbit food (and rabbit advice) geared for 'production' -- meat rabbits or breeders -- that need to be solid and healthy while young but they don't have to live long lives.

I really hope you get your bunny spayed, especially after she lost her first litter. :(

sas :)

Yeah, I agree. The benefits of spaying really out weight the slight risk. Not only for the huge health benefit, but also it will help her behavior.

Thumbs up for spaying from me! :cool:

I have never heard this before. If spaying leads to obesity, this problem can be resolved by diet and exercise. Not spaying could lead to more health problems that are not very easy to treat.

My vet always says that spaying is the way to go - it reduces the risk of cancer and helps with behavior.

I totally disagree with spaying causing obesity. I have three spayed female rabbits that are all the correct weight. In fact, sometimes I have trouble balancing Fey and Sprite's sensitive stomachs with their calorie needs, so they get a little on the skinny side.

I have two spayed cats. One is chubby, but she's had food issues since we adopted her because she was a stray. If allowed too, she'll eat 3 times her daily need for food in one sitting,so her food has to be measured. That's a psychological problem. The other cat is fine.

Spaying doesn't cause obesity. I was reading about this earlier actually, the article said that you may have to reduce the amount of food your rabbit gets a little after a spay, but like everyone else has said, only over-eating and lack of exercise causes obesity.

There is nothing bad about spaying as far asI can see, apart from the risk on the operating table, but that is the same for every operation - there is always a small risk.

But overall spaying is great :thumbup (And hopefully once my girls are done - still haven't saved enough money!- they will stop peeing on their walls :hyper:)

It varies depending on the vet. The vet I am using charges $148 for a spay, but you can definitely find one cheaper depending on your area.

Worth every penny! :biggrin:

Candy, she didn't say to never spay a rabbit. She just said that it wasn't necessary. It is expensive, and alsoyou can't show a rabbit that's been spayed. You wouldn't be able to show her, and you wouldn't be able to breed her.

The green arrow next to a topic name (and next to page numbers if there are multiple numbers of pages), if you click it, will take you to the last post you read when you were at that post.

Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back