Spaying a bun...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttrkyra

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you show rabbits or not,but I was wondering if they allow spayed female to be in the show (ARBAopen show). I'm pretty sure I heard/read somewhere that neutered malesweren't allowed to be shown, but I'm not sure on the does.

I've been thinking about taking my bun to a show, just for funsies. Iknow she's a charlie, but maybe a judge will consider her to be atexactly 10 percent..?

I'd like to be able to show her at some point, but at the same time,I've heard spaying is one of the best things you can do for your rabbithealth-wise.

So if any of you could help me out, that'd be great.

Thanks

--kyra

im sorry i dont know about spaying and shows....

but i do know that for pet bunnies it is the best it prolongs lifemakes them less cranky(at least it did with mine) pamknock is a judgeim sure shell reply w/ some good info

sara

As far as I know, rabbits, both bucks and does, have to be intact, and pure bred.

Sometimes they do have a fun class where spayed/neutered rabbits can enter, but the real classes, they need their jewels.

Pam could definitely answer this one better.

When they spay a rabbit, don't they take stuffout of the inside? And not touch anything on the outside? So if thescar healed up nicely and didn't leave a huge bald spot or anything,would it really make a difference?

No, one would think not, but them's that make therules says otherwise. It is probably related to the fact theorganization is the American Rabbit Breeders Association andwould probably want rabbits that won in their shows to have thecapability to breed.

I do believe, however, as a non-shower/non-breeder member of ARBA thatthere should be a category(ies) open to pet owners who haveneutered animals. If there were enough of us, we might affectsuch a change, but as most pet owners do not join ARBA it is highlyunlikely it will occur anytime soon.

Buck

Senior bucks cannot be shown without "twonormally decended testicles" However a spayed doe can beshown if it did not leave a scar and turn the fur white, which would bedq'ed for a "white spot in a colored section":)

A judge might pass a charlie, but i don't think it'd do real well, asbroken is a large class. What breed is it? Not todiscourage you... breeding is a lot of fun!

And to Buck Jones:

ARBA is NOT for justbreeders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL rabbit ownersshould join, just for their invaluable guidebook!!! AND the70+ page bi-monthly magazine Domestic Rabbits, which includes a "petcolumn". Joining is THE way to learn about rabbits!Not to seem biased...:D

Latest posts

Back