Spayed with Unspayed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nes

Reaction score
I'm thinking of having Abigale spayed in a few months or sooner (I think we have access to a cheap spay - and if so we'll do it, otherwise...) but I would like to her continue living with her mother(s). They are already bonded and I can't get ANOTHER rabbit so abi has a friend right now :)

Would the moms have a problem living with abi once she's spayed?

The mom were a financial investment and I do intend to breed them for show purposes in the future so there is no way they are being spayed - but abigale is a lopXmini rex and although she is VERY cute & sweet there is just no point in getting any babies from her :D

Nes.

Well, If you're planning on breeding her then I don't think you should bond them. Once she has the litter, your spayed doe might attack the young if she feels they are introding. I'm not sure, but I don't know how an adultrabbit would treat another doe's kits.

Sorry let me be more clear (I realised I didn't explain what I ment) In the spring is when I want to breed my does - abi would be fixed in the next few months but once we moved out of the appartment we'll get abi her own cage & boy/girl friend :)

I was worried about them being pregnant during the last litter but my girls actually birthed & raised their babies together in the same cage!! It was AMAZING to watch, the babies LOVED it because they got two or three big meals everday :D

I absolutely wouldn't suggest trying to keep your pregant does together like that though... my girls have NEVER been seperated since they are born & they are sisters - still they were under CAREFUL watch the entire time to make sure there was no fighting.

Nes.

I'm not sure. I guess it would be ok, but she might be distressed when she has to be seperated from her mom. I could be wrong though.

Scratch all this - We're going away for the weekend (baby shower) and Lacy is getting INSANLY territorial (see "SHE BIT ME!") so we're going to seperate Abigale from her moms I'm just too worried she's going to get hurt while we are away. I know Cagney & Lacy will be fine together - but I'm worried since she's not supposed to be pregnant (although she is VERY loudly building a nest in the exercise pen right now) but I'm too worried about our little baby bunny - so... I guess we're building a second cage along with the girls and maybe we'll adopt a spayed female for her later...

Thanks anyway spring!!!

Nes.

I was just wondering,if you already have bunnies that are already pregnant,well why couldn't you keep one of them and bond it to Abi when it's a bit older?you wouldn't have to go and get another bunny then

cheryl

i've been thinking of that too & there will probably be a REALLY cute one we want to keep :) The only thing is that it can be SO easier for younger animals to find good homes we might want to find an other old bunny who really needs one.

Although if Abi's current nest building continues... she may have a daughter to live with :shock:

I HATE MALE BUNNIES!!!!!
(no offence guys :))

Nes

Well, if you hate them then perhaps you should rehome any that you have? Not trying to sound mean or anything as a similar (yet on a much smaller scale) thing happened with my rabbits and I decided to rehome the buck to someone who could actually use him as he is a really good typey pedigree holland lop. You'' probably end up with litter after litter to young bunnies if you have intact males and females near one another of a breding age.

I don't have any male bunnies...

(read thread "Introduction" - the last litter stayed with the moms too long, personably males are great I just don't like their testicals - that's probably more acurate)

I HATE TESTICLES!!!!!

Nes.

Latest posts

Back