Spayed & Neutered litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileysMom

Reaction score
Ok, so I got 2 dutch rabbits that are already spayed/neutered and bonded and are 4 months old. The lady I had them from had litter EVERYWHERE in their cage and then a litter box outside of their cage because they had the run of her dining room most of the time, so she said they would either pee in the litterbox or go into the cage and pee, well when I let them out in the exercise pen they pee on the floor and it's the same piece of linoleum that she used because it came with them. And then when they are in there cage they pee EVERYWHERE.

When I got them home the first thing I did was completely clean out there cage and put a big corner litter box in there, I did put some of their old stinky litter in the box to give them the idea. Yesterday I had to completely clean the cage Again because they pee'd everywhere in the cage, there was some in the litter box so they aren't anti litter box but they don't care about peeing all over the cage where they lay either. This morning I wake up and look, and yep I will be cleaing the entire cage Again!!!

Please help, is this going to be a hopeless cause or will they eventually catch on?

I'm about ready to give up, I am having to throughouly clean out their cage EVERY morning and the area's around their cage because they are spraying it everywhere. I took the shelves out of their cage hopeing that would help and it hasn't what can I do?
I love the bunnies and their personalities but I don't have time for this huge mess every day. Is it hopeless?

Are you 100% sure they're neutered?

Is there litter only in their litter box?

Are you using vinegar to clean up the pee spots?

Have you tried catching them in the act and then putting them in their box?

I don't know what else to suggest! :(

Hope they start figuring it out soon!

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Are you 100% sure they're neutered?

Is there litter only in their litter box?

Are you using vinegar to clean up the pee spots?

Have you tried catching them in the act and then putting them in their box?

I don't know what else to suggest! :(

Hope they start figuring it out soon!

Rue

That was the FIRST thing I asked the lady especially because they are only 4 months old and she said it was done a month ago, but you can see where the hair is growing back from where it was shaved for the surgery and she took them to the vet herself, she was a nice Christian lady so I see not reason not to believe her especially as good of care as she was giving the buns.

Yes there is only litter in the litter boxes, but when she had them she gave them litter everywhere. I do use vinegar to scrub the entire cage, the pee is everywhere, on the side walls, it gets sprayed out of the cage onto the linoleum it's just a mess. I haven't been able to catch them in the act, it seems they do it most at night when we are sleeping.

Patti - I have done the paper towel sopped w/ pee trick also it's always worked for me in the past aswell but these 2 are just being difficult.

Man, they are a stubborn pair aren't they? :shock:

The only other thing I can think (besides dipping the entire cage in vinegar!), is to try putting them into a new cage and see if that shakes things up a bit? Rabbits are such creatures of habit that I wonder if they've just gotten into such a habit of peeing in that cage (and on that piece of lino!) that they won't change. Plus, no matter how much vinegar we use, I'm sure there's always a bit of pee smell left. :p

Hopefully one of the more experienced members can offer some better advice!

Rue

I did finally figure out that it is the female doing the pee'ing she is doing it as she is jumping/running away from the male. What the heck? I could put another small litter box in the cage but that wouldn't give them much room at all, what do you think?

Is it possible that they are spraying because of new odors/surroundings? I think it's possible even after neutering/spaying. If it was done a month ago, I think it's possible that they still have some hormones still going as we normally keep males away from females 6-12 weeks or something like that. Maybe it's that? :?

I hope they settle soon :)

I hope that if that is what it is that they will settle down, I am noticing now that it does seem to be happening when the male is wanting to "play" I put her OWN litter box in the cage to see if the helps for the time being.

Latest posts

Back