Spayed Female Mounting Other Female?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

I have 2 girls, Gigi and Kiki, who are rescue bunnies and were already bonded when they were found. They were both spayed in June before I adopted them.

This morning Kiki started chasing, nipping and eventually mounting Gigi 2 or 3 times. I think this happened last night too, because Gigi came flying into the room at top speed as if she was trying to get away from something.

Is this normal behaviour for spayed pairs and just a dominance thing? Or has Kiki got some real frustrations sheโ€™s trying to deal with?!

The mounting is dominance, females can be especially territorial.

You recently moved into a place,
so your rabbits have a new territory to claim, theyโ€™re trying to figure out whoโ€™s territory is whoโ€™s.

Gigi might have entered Kikiโ€™s territory unknowingly, and irritated her thus the nipping.

Hopefully they will figure that out quickly and be back to normal ๐Ÿ’›

Last edited:
The mounting is dominance, females can be especially territorial.

You recently moved into a place,
so your rabbits have a new territory to claim, theyโ€™re trying to figure out whoโ€™s territory is whoโ€™s.

Gigi might have entered Kikiโ€™s territory unknowingly, and irritated her thus the nipping.

Hopefully they will figure that out quickly and be back to normal ๐Ÿ’›
Thanks @Lucas the Bun ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ‡ โ˜บ๏ธ I was hoping it would be something like that. Iโ€™ve just not seen them do it before! Theyโ€™re still getting on perfectly otherwise, so hopefully theyโ€™ll settle down ok soon

I should also mention that it was her head / face that she was humping. I just read that I should separate them in that situation, in case Gigi bites Kikiโ€™s bits in annoyance. Is that right?

Latest posts

Back