Spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cseldes

Reaction score
I had my mini lop spayed yesterday. They kept her overnight so today when I brought her home she was still out of it. She hasn't moved an inch and hasn't tried to eat/drink/poo/pee at all. The vet had to force feed her with a syringe this am and said to contact them if she doesn't eat anything or go to the bathroom. It's only been 6 hours since she's been home but I'm nervous. I'm a first time bunny owner so I don't know if I'm just overreacting or if I'm right to be nervous.

Did they give you the pain med Metacam, to give to her? She should really be eating at least a little bit by now. Have you tried seeing if she'll eat a small treat or some veggies? When my girls had their spays, one of the first things they would eat was cilantro and carrot tops. You'll need to start syringe feeding her soon if she won't start eating on her own. Did the vet give you critical care food mix to syringe feed her with if you need to?

No they didn't give me anything, just said to keep an eye on her and call if she doesn't get better. I tried giving her kale which is her favorite veggie but she was completely not interested.

They didn't give you any metacam for a spay? You always need pain meds for a spay. I would call them and go pick some up right away, and maybe get some critical care from them too in case you have to end up hand feeding her tonight, but you really need the metacam to control the pain. That's why she's not eating. Did the vet office give her fluids this morning too? If not, she probably needs fluids as well, by this point.

Yes she had fluids this morning. My vet office is closed now so I don't know what to do. Do you think I can purée some vegetables and syringe feed her? I called an emergency vet place but that is gonna cost me a lot of money so I don't want to do that if I don't have to. I'm wondering if she'll be ok until the morning.

Not to mention I'm at work now and would have to leave in order to take her.

Make sure she is warm. If she is cold and you try to force feed her, it will not be good. Usually a bunny should not be "out of it" the day after a surgical procedure--most of the meds should have worn off. They may have given her an opioid before they sent her home today, but that would last up to 12 hours. You can take her temp with a rectal thermometer. Normal temps for a rabbit are 101-103F. If she is cold, try to warm her with a hot water bottle, warm towel from the dryer, or rice sock.

Here's some info on force feeding
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/force-feeding-51609/

Here's some info on post-surgical care
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/surgery-post-surgical-care-10488/

There are over-the-counter pain meds you can use if necessary.If you have to force feed her, you could give children's ibuprofen as well. Do not give ibuprofen on an empty stomach as it will cause stomach damage. Do not give aspirin to a post-surgical rabbit. This page has some dosing info
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

An emergency vet is going to be expensive but it may be the only option. Lethargy is never a good sign, in fact it is one of the worst signs in a rabbit. Since rabbits are prey animals, they have to be constantly vigiliant to survive. Even a bunny that is feeling very unwell will not be lethargic.

Does your vet have an emergency number that you could call and ask them to just call in a prescription for metacam and critical care? If not, then maybe go with the ibuprofen. For syringe feeding, you could get some plain canned pumpkin(not the pie filling) and syringe that to her and also maybe syringing her some pedialyte would be helpful as well. I would have a few choice words for the vet as well, for not sending home pain meds for such an invasive surgical procedure.

I agree with what Jenny has said. Also, offer several of her favorite foods, even if it's fruit or a treat, a thing to get her appetite going. It's unfortunate they kept her overnight. Not a common practice with rabbits. It's not unusual for them to not eat when away from home anyway, let alone after anesthesia. So it might be a combination of her not being at home too.
Her not moving much doesn't indicate a huge problem. But not pooping does. I also agree that the vet not ending home metacam was not wise either. I'd maybe question them on that AND keeping her overnight :(

Best wishes for her recovery, let us know how things go!

Try to get some "Critical Care" to syringe feed and also a small amount of water. If she has some favorite herbs, like Cilantro, try placing that near her. We only had one that was a little out of it and he was eating within 4 hours while all our others never stopped. We also brought them home the same day rather than over night in a strange, noisy place.

Well I left work for my dinner break and I've given her some children's Motrin and baby food (bananas) with a syringe. I'm waiting to see if she gets a little better. if she is still acting the same way when I get home from work tonight I may take her to an emergency vet.

I've seen banana baby food recommended by others on this forum but I don't understand why and would never give it to my rabbits. For starters, at least in my area, many banana baby foods are 'deserts' and have added sugar. The last thing you want to give a bunny that's not eating is sugar, it encourages the wrong type of bacteria and can make things much worse. Even if it doesn't have added sugar, I still wouldn't give it - banana contains a lot of natural sugar and it's been heavily processed, making the sugars more available. As mentioned earlier, canned pumpkin puree is a safer alternative.

I agree with what the others have said, a post op bunny should have Metacam, even for a neuter IMO as some of them need it and it's better to play it safe. Even my rats all get high doses of Metacam prescribed post neuters/spays and they are not in danger of going into stasis. I don't like the idea of leaving any animal at the vet overnight but all of the exotic vets in my city urge it. I'm on the fence about the practice, I do not leave my animals overnight but I know not everyone recognizes the signs of danger early enough.

I hope the Motrin helps her and she starts eating. She will probably need more fluids tomorrow and Critical Care at this point so if your regular vet is open, you should take her in. It's always a good idea to have a small amount of Critical Care or another syringe feed formula and a syringe on hand in case of an emergency with herbivores. You should be able to get Critical Care from a vet clinic without a prescription.

I hope your bunny feels better soon.

How's she doing? Yes, I think every bunny should have pain meds for at least a few days post surgery. I'd call and ask, and if they disagree, ask howh they would feel about having surgery without pain meds. Give lots of greens, pellets, whatever she'll take. Then also you can grind her pellets into a slurry mixed in water and syringe feed.

She made it thru the night but she was gone when I woke up to take her to the vet this morning. My roommate checked on her about 7:30 and said she seemed ok but when I got up about 2 hours later it was too late. I'm just very sad right now. Thank you everyone for the help.

Back