spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mika77

Reaction score
Just called the shelter and they said they will spay her on Friday and I can pick her up Saturday. I am a little worried about how well she will do. My experience is with dogs and cats and they always did very well the next day but I have been told that bunnies do not do as well, is that true in most cases? The woman I got Clover from works at a vet clinic and she said that Clover got sick after the neuter and would not eat for a long time and lost a lot of weight. When I got Lilly from the shelter she was spayed a while back and came with her medical records and it said that she was not eating well after the surgery (she was spayed earlier because she was adopted and then returned).
So I just want to know what to expect, now all week I am going to worry about the little girl.

:hug: procedures are different here but when roxy was spayed i was able to collect her in the evening. she had been given pain medication. my vet is very bunny savvy and advised me to line her hutch with newspaper and fleece under a layer of cotton sheets. no hay as this could irritate the wound. i counted the pellets in her bowl as well as the pieces of carrot, and noted the quantity of water in her bottle. i did bring the hutch into the house so i could keep a check on her. during the night i could see that she was pooing and peeing and had eaten her carrot.

the following morning she was very active and i checked her wound. the vet called to check on her. by then she was eating and drinking and functioning normally. on the third day i took her back for a check. she wasnt allowed in the garden for a week when she had her final check. by then the wound had healed.

my vets are brilliant and i knew i could phone them if needed.

you might want to post in the infirmary section as procedures are probably different in canada then here!

good luck with this new bunny

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

all the girl buns ive had spayed have all been fine :Dbut i suppose everybun will be different.

One thing though is to keep a close eye and make sure she doesnt pull out her stiches unless shes being glued. my Crystal pulled out her stiches :headsmack

try not to worry hun im sure everything will be fine :)

Peek-a-boo wrote:
One thing though is to keep a close eye and make sure she doesnt pull out her stiches unless shes being glued. my Crystal pulled out her stiches :headsmack

that was my fear with roxy - she didnt luckily, thanks to being under constance surveillance and some **** fine sewing from my vet!:D

When i got Jezzabelle spayed (funny story, she was suppossed to be neutered, lol) and she recovered very well. She came home the same day, was quite active and the wound healed great. She seemed to love her treats even more then, if thats possible, lol. I would reccommend lining her house with towels or something that wont irritate her incision, and keep a close eye on her food and water intake. And of course baby her to her hearts content :).

I just recently got Sweetie spayed and she is doing wonderfully! I was able to take her home the same day after her surgery was done and she woke up.

I coaxed her to eat and drink. Watch for infections, any redness at the incision, etc. Also be sure to get pain meds for her for a few days. She will be in pain for at least three to four days after the surgery.

If you have any questions you can PM me and I will be glad to answer them.

Thanks for all the advice everyone:) I will ask about the pain medication.
I use shredded paper in the litter box, is that going to be okay? I have towels on the rest of the cage floor.
How long should I wait before trying to introduce her to the other bunnies?

Shredded paper would be fine, as long as she doesn't wind up with papercuts :biggrin2:

I would wait as long as possible... They are supposed to go 2 weeks without jumping up, so I would tack on a 3rd week on top of that in case of a fight.

(Sorry about my posts, eh?... I was reading them, and they're pretty pessimistic LOL!:D Well, better to be prepared for the worst, and plan for the best :) )

I had my bunny Buddy spayed about 3 months ago or so. She sat in a corner and walked like an old lady, and i had to put her water and food in front of her. but she still made it to her litter pan:) By the next day she was better, and then the after a few days when i was supposed to limit her activity it got really difficult because she was fine and rolling and jumping around :) I was really worried but she was fine.

Latest posts

Back