Spay Scheduled

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
I went to the vet with Beauty and Shiny Things today. They are perfectly healthy (I already knew that though). The vet at first wanted $400 per rabbit for the spay. I told them that I had been quoted $200 so they reduced it to that. They kept trying to add things onto the cost. They wanted to do a blood test that would cost over $90 per rabbit. They wanted to do test for bacteria in their ears for over $30 per rabbit. They suggested pain medication for after the spay. I went for that and it is $35 per rabbit. The vet is going to use the Phentenal patch (sorry if misspelled.). They did not want to do the Meta-whatever because of the liver and kidney problems that it can cause. They also wanted to do sub-Q fluids. I said no to everything but the pain mediccation. I just do not have the $ to spend over $500 per rabbit to have them spayed. It ended up costing $400 for both rabbits combined. Their spay is scheduled for September 7th, so not next Friday but the Friday after. They said they could do it on Monday the 27th of August, but that is the first day of classes so I can not miss for that. This gives me time to prepare.

So what do I need to know about their spays? I am currently using litter boxes that have 7" sides all around. Do I need to get different litter boxes? Also the bedding that I use is small and sticks to everything. Is it ok to still use this or will it upset their stiches? If I can not use this would Carefresh be a good litter? I know that I will have more questions but these are the ones on my mind right now. Thank you to whoever reads this really long post :)

I don't know about the litter boxes. No one that I remember has mentioned that issue.

But I'm pretty sure you should replace the bedding with small blankets.

Yikes. All of that sounds so pricey. Agnes just got spayed and hers was $110 and that included pain meds (metacam) after. My vet is registered on the rabbit.org website. He was pretty open with the extra charges vets can use to make money.

As far as litterbox...I would either buy a cheap one and cut down one side for easy entry or remove the litterbox. It is very painful for them to jump at all.

For bedding, I use baby blankets and wood stove pellets for litter so I didnt have to worry about that. Now, with that being said, Agnes incision was SO small and looked so good I don't think bedding would have irritaated it. However, I have seen some incision pics on here that looked waaay different and it may irritate those.....?

That's an awful lot of money! The first vet Harriet saw said it would cost $175 plus main meds, but the new vet has quoted me $95 plus meds. I'm glad I waited.

Latest posts

Back