Spay Quote - Is this normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kit

Reaction score
So, I'm new around here and I've looked around for a similar thread but nothing in the next few pages here or in the Infirmrary.

When I got Clovis originally, I was living in Toronto and the quote I got was $270. Because I was a poor grad student and was struggling with juggling my own bills as well as all the expenses that came with suddenly receiving a bunny, I had to put it off. I managed to save about $120 towards it.

Then I got a new job in another part of the province so I had to up and move myself and bunny to my new city. I had to wait a couple of paycheques and then I made an appointment with a local vet who was recommended on the OREO website. The check up went well, and Clovis had a clean bill of health and then I got the quote for a spay.

$450!!!!

The spay itself is $260, the laser spay (which is considered less invasive and what the vet prefers to do) is a further $80, 5 doses of metacam(21.80), and intravenous fluids during the procedure (62.00). And then tax.

This seems a bit much. Can anyone else give me an idea what they paid for?How do I shop around? Can I shop around? I mean, the vet is supposed to be the best in town.:?

I live in chicago and it is $300 here.

Edit- You might be able to find a shelter/clinic to do it cheaper.

I think $450 is WAY over priced. I'm in Saskatoon, SK and my Spays were about $200.

Where are you located now?

If your still in Ontario till this page Ontario Rabbit Savvy Vets

I would defiantly call around to different vets to see Rabbits. Doesn't the University in Toronto have Small Animal Clinic that has vets that Specialize in Exotics? If I remember right that's where my vet trained.

I'm in Kingston now, and there's only one vet listed for this area on the Ontario Rabbit website for this area and its her. Plus, I don't have a car, so I can't take her out of the area very easily at all.

I'd wish I'd known about the UofT clinic while I was there! I could have really used it!

I got Roxy spayed for 125$ + tax, which I thought was a sweet deal. A friend of mine in Thunder Bay, Ontario got a quote to get a boy bunny neutered for 230$ + tax which I thought was ridiculous.

Ontario is pretty pricey, yup. Low-end rabbit spays are $80 in Vancouver, although to be honest I'd never trust the vet doing them for that price.

I think Pipp cost me $110 plus whatever else I wanted (pre-screening, blood test, Metacam) and of course plus the darn GST and whatever other tax they've thought up).

I'm not sure what the vet who does laser spays out here charges, but I'd guess at around $200 non-inclusive.

(I know one woman who will actually fly her dogs and cats to BC and it works out cheaper than Ontario spays and neuters).

If you have friends you can visit in other areas, I'd research prices there and maybe you can tie it in with a vacation for the same amount of money!

She really does need the spay, though, as I'm sure you know. It's really not optional in female rabbits.

sas :bunnydance:

$450 is insane! I only paid $99.

I also got a whole bottle of metacam for $23, this was when I had my rats neutered, though. My rabbits got a shot of pain meds after their surgeries.

Beardall Animal Hospital is where I took her. I didn't want to mention the name.

And there's a bunny doctor near where my boyfriend lives (Barrie area) but I'm concerned about the stress of travel. She really does not like travel.

I've identified two other veterinary hospitals in the area where they mention caring for exotics and I'll see if that includes bunnies.

If not the other option is to go for the old fashioned method and do two separate payments of around $172. But I hear that's more invasive and takes longer to heal.

The Humane Society here only spays and neuters their dogs and cats. There isn't a local branch of the OSPCA.

Guelph is about a 5-6 hour drive away. I think I will look up stuff for Belleville, Cornwall, and Ottawa. I'm tempted to check out Quebec too, except that I worry about the language barrier!

Kingston is located at the Eastern most edge of Lake Ontario and is at the junction of the St. Lawrence.

I'm thinking of declining the laser surgery. However, I do wonder if its a good idea to decline the fluids. I believe its used to help keep bunny hydrated and her intestinal tract moving.

does anyone know?

The fluids aren't needed, I work at a vets and watch the surgeries all the time. They will need the fluids AFTER the surgery is over but not while its happening. If it's a capable vet it should be finished pretty quick. If you're worried and your gut is telling you to go with the fluids, however, I would do so. I fully believe it is always best to listen to your instincts.

So, I don't feel so bad about Hershey's $200 checkup/neuter! I thought that price was a lot!

Hershey didn't have laser or fluids during surgery. He got pain med at the hospital, but not at home. He did just fine.

Latest posts

Back