Spay / neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marrie

Reaction score
So, I just called to get all the information on our rabbits spay / neuter and the vet I was going to use... said to take their food up. I'm like, rabbits can't vomit and if their digestive tracts empty, it is very dangerous for them. The lady is like "not if you take it up before midnight" ... ok thank you bye. (thank you house rabbit society for the questionaire!)

So I called the vet listed on this site and they were willing to answer my questions, they were the ones that said rabbits do not vomit and no need to remove food, yay. Little bit more expensive for the spay, but they aren't going to try to kill my rabbits.

What should I expect when they come home? I'm going to walk through post-op care with the vet, but would like some first-hand knowledge from bunny owners. Is it hard to get them to eat after? Should I withold veggies, or tempt them with them? Should I keep them in cages to avoid pulling stitches, or will they be so sore it shouldn't be an issue if they are kept in their own rooms and left alone without anything to spook them?

One out of 27 sounds like good odds on them eating properly, if we end up having to syringe feed either what is best to put in the syringe to keep them healthy until they start eating?

Be sure to get pain meds from your vet. A couple of days worth for a neuter and at least 3 days worth for a spay. Buprenex is best for spays, but your vet may be hesitant to give Buprenex. Some rabbits have a difficult time dealing with the pain from the spay surgery. Pain medication is very important. Metacam for neuters. Also, get a broad spectrum antibiotic, like Baytril. You can ask your vet for a packet of Critical Care (a finely powdered hay with other stuff in it) for syringe feeding. Or, you can make a mush from your rabbit's pellets and syringe feed that. If your rabbit's appetite hasn't returned to normal by 3 days after the spay, or if you see swelling, bleeding, or discharge on the incision, call your vet.

Latest posts

Back