Spay and neuter day *update - Bailey home, Sakura had problems*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
5 month old Sakura and four month old Bailey are (right now for Bailey!) having their desexing operations today.

I just wanted to start a thread in case I have any problems and need somewhere to talk about them.

Bailey is in surgery right this minute, he should be out any time in the next 20 minutes so I'm anxiously awaiting a call from the vet. Then it's my little sweetie girl Sakura for her spay, which I am freaking out a little bit over. She's a dwarf rabbit and VERY small.

Wish them luck :biggrin2:

Sakura is a little spitfire so I'm hoping to hear she's bitten at least one persons hand there, means she's in a good mood if she bites :p.

Bailey is out of surgery, they will call me back when he's awake. He did well!

Phew :D. The same vet is doing Sakuras spay next, so I gather he's having a break then back to business.

Just to update for Michelle. Apparently, Sakura had a negative reaction to the anesthetic and they couldn't do the procedure. She went down to see her. That's all I know at this point and that Sakura is okay. I'm sure she'll post when she arrives back home.

*sigh* Really small rabbits can be hard to knock out. That's happened to us before. It was a little dwarf. Eventually with another anesthetic we could do the surgery.

Sending a lot of positive throughts your way, Sakura. Let us know what happened.

Thank you for posting for me Crystal :hug:

I am home and have Bailey with me but they want to keep Sakura for another few hours, so I go to pick her up after dinner.

I didn't really understand a lot of a technical jargon etc, and the vet was 'busy' :dunno, so I spoke to the nurse that assisted in the surgery. She said that it appeared that Sakura went into respitory arrest (stopped breathing). Does anyone have any links for me to look this up? The anaesthesia used was called isoflurane, I think I spelt that right...is that a pretty safe anaesthetic in general?

Sakura weighs about 1.6 pounds, she's really little. She has been the same size and weight for at least a month now, so I don't know if I can 'make' her any bigger, but if I could would that help?

For now I'm just relieved that she is alive and I just want to get her home, I still want to have her spayed but I may leave it for another month and see how she goes first.

:cry4:

The same thing happened to Sugar, our Sekuars's BUD daughter -- a maxi-mini-rex. She stopped breathing with the anesthetic. They resuscitated her, and didn't do the spay (obviously).

The vet said it wasn't uncommon that some bunnies were just more sensitive to it than others. (I'll have to check to see if it was isoflurane, but it probably was).

They cut the dose in half -- I think he said he went from a half to a quarter, whatever that means -- when he did the op a month later, and she was fine.

Good vets are prepared for that.

Hope she's okay! It's scary, I know!

sas :clover:

As I mentioned in an IM, I thought since she was so small, that the lessening of anesthetic would likely be ideal. I was not for sure, but makes sense as her weight.

Chelle, just give her some time, noserubs from me and Angel, and a little bulk in her diet. See how she does in a month or so. I know you really wanted this done, but I also know this means nothing as long as you have your baby, safe and sound:hug:.

Oh gosh!

I'm so glad Bailey did alright, how is he doing? Probably just a tad bit sore :).

I'm so glad Sakura is alright! How scary :nerves1!

Sending lots of healing vibes for Bailey, nose rubs for Sakura, and hugs to you!

Wow Michelle, this is a pretty stressful month for you huh? I am so happy she pulled through though and that Bailey is fine. How scary :?

Wow...that is scary when that happens...glad things worked out OK. Just another example of a problem with a "safe" drug. There can always be a negative reaction. Isoflourane has been the anesthesia of choice for a long time. There are also other anesthesia media that can be considered if you and your vet think it's appropriate. Sevoflourane is great...quick rebound after sedation. And we have used injectable anesthesia for some of the more complex surgeries. Again, so happy that Sakura came thru the situation.

Randy

I wonder if they gave her a sedative before giving the isoflorane? A lot of vets will give a "combo pack"- xylazine, acepromozine, maybe some ketamine, as a sedative beforehand. Or did they just give her straight isoflurane? Xylazine can cause respiratory distress, and when you mix it with the iso...

Maybe suggest a combination of acepromozine and ketamine if you're going to want to attempt to get her spayed again. Actually, that's ALWAYS what we use for those little rabbits. Actually little dogs and cats as well. Generally anything under five pounds, we don't even use gas. And oftentimes when they're over that, we don't use gas. Really, just injectibles can work quite well. Maybe you could talk out a plan with the vet (not a tech....talk to the vet. No offense to other techs.)

Wow thank you so much for all the information Ivory, that is so helpful. I know she was sedated first, both bunnies were. I'll give the vet a call and read to him what you wrote. Hopefully the drugs available here are what you have there.

I am still 100% solid in my decision to have her spayed, I just might wait a month or so. She's still young and fit and I really just need some stress free time at the moment.

She seems fine this morning, her normal perky self. She's been trying to yank up her coroplast like usual :).

Yep, I'll bet he used xylazine. It's pronounced "zylazine", not "exazine", as one person pronounced it, lol. Xylazine isn't a bad drug, actually it's usually really good. But in small rabbits, it can definitely cause some problems. Not usually, but occasionally it happens.

Latest posts

Back