sparrow fledgling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyjade

Reaction score
My neighbor brought me this little bird tonight. She said she found it hopping in the street. She took it home and put it in a cage, but her mom saw it and wouldn't let her keep it in the house. So she brought it over here. I put it in a bush near where she found it, hoping the parents would come back for it. I watched for over an hour until it got dark, but they never showed up. It had already been in her house for a few hours before she took it to me. So...it's in my bathroom.:(

littlesparrow001.jpg

It seems kind of odd that it would be in the street. In the cage she brought it over in, there was some stuff that looked like nest material...makes me wonder if she didn't take it from it's nest. I don't really know her, I think she's about 12. People just keep bringing me wild baby animals. First it was the squirrel I posted about; I released him and see him hanging around the yard sometimes. Then while the forum was down my aunt called about a baby cottontail with a neck injury; I took her to a rehabilitator. Now this. Tomorrow I'll see if the rehabber I brought the bunny to will take birds, or find another one. I'm researching online about what to do, if anyone has advice, (Randy?:)) it would be appreciated. Sorry about the novel.

Kelly

Aww, what a pretty little bird, I hope you find a reahabber for it. Can't wait for updates!

Randy? When you get a chance, this will be a good one for you!:cool:

The best thing that you can do for the bird is to take it to a rehabber as soon as you can. Birds, like bunnies, are quite good at hiding problems until they balloon into something potentially lethal, and you never know exactly how it wound up in the street, or why it was slow enough to catch.

Until then, keep it warm, dark and quiet. A heating pad on the low or medium setting works well, as does a sock filled 1/2 way with rice and heated in the microwave or oven and wrapped in a dish towel. You can also give it a dish or water (a solid jar lid like you find on a bottle of mayo works great), and maybe a jar lid of bird seed to tide it over if it's old/healthy enough to be eating on it's own. Good luck!

Back