Sort of worried about Bruce

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killertheturtle

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a new batch of hay about a week ago. The hay was weird looking, it is Timothy, but it was really thin and stringy (very green, though). He was eating it fine and then in the last couple of days, he will barely touch it, and he has always been a huge hay eater.
Yesterday, he went about 10 hours without pooping (there was none in his box, but a couple around). I got home from work tonight and he pooped, but it was very small. Good news is, half of the hay I gave him this morning was gone. Even though he usually would have eaten all of it.
Also, two days ago I had to switch him to a water bottle (he usually has a LeBistro...which is a bowl with a large water dispenser) and he has not drunken a lot of water at all.
He is not at all lethargic; still binking, begging for treats (the only treats I have given in the last few days are papaya and hay cubes) and acting like normal.
I have a huge first aide kit with everything I would need for Stasis, including Critical Care...when should I worry? I had a bunny in stasis once, but it was much worse than this and it was all of a sudden, not gradual.
Thanks

Try getting some fluids in him. If he's not used to the water bottle, and is uncomfortable drinking out of it, he is most likely dehydrated.

Offer him a bowl of water or his old water dish back and see if he'll drink.

I would also try giving him some pedialyte.

It's good that's he's still eating the hay. You can also see if he'll take some canned pumpkin too.

--Dawn

I would put down a bowl of water with some vanilla flavoring or maybe a bit of apple juice diluted into it - something to give it flavor....see if he drinks it.

Maybe he was having problems with his new water bottle...

If you give him a bowl with water + something in it, make sure you give him a bowl with plain water too because if he doesn't like what is in the water, then you would be back with the same problem.

Flashy wrote:
If you give him a bowl with water + something in it, make sure you give him a bowl with plain water too because if he doesn't like what is in the water, then you would be back with the same problem.
Excellent point - thanks for sharing that.

:biggrin2:

Thanks for the reply's.
He is doing fine. He started eating hay again by himself. Maybe he was a little dehydrated - he will not use his bottle at all, so I put a bowl in there for him. His poops are normal size as well. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back