Sore on foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trix (my mini rex)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, another question.

My rabbit has a sore on her back foot, I am unsure whatcaused it. It just looks like the fur in that area is missing and youcan see red skin.However, it is not bleeding. The sore hasbeen there for about 2 months.Any suggestions as to what itis and how to help heal this or possibly wrap it up?

Thankyou, your responsesare important!

-Lydia

Hello Lydia,

sight unseen I can safely fenture a guess that what you are seeing isSore-Hocks. If it is not bleeding there is not much to be done. If itshould become an open wound I would treat with an antibioticcream. Sore-Hocks is quite prevelent in the Rex breed. Due totheir thiner fur coat. Most breeders breed towards better/more furredfeet. What I would NOT DO is: line the cage with hay or use a rug. whenthese become soiled with urine or manure they become a vector fordisease. I would provide a board so they can get off the wire if theyneed to. Be sure to clean and disinfect that board on a regular basis.I hope this helped.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Thank you very much Dennis and luvabun. I'll bekeeping a closeeye on the sore hock, hopefully it will healquickly. I sure don't want my rabbit to be in any discomfort or getinfection...

-Lydia

That was my Mella with what i thought were sorehocks. In a later post, which I'll try to find and bump, it turned outthat they were just callouses. Since she's a mini rex like Trix, I'mstill very careful with her little feet. You might want to take her tothe vet, but if it's not bleeding and if there is no pus, she mightjust have callouses.

I'll try to find the post.

Greetings Trix,

I also bumped up a post for you entitled, "Feet and Feed" by Cher for more reading material for you.

Hope your little one is better.

-Carolyn

I called a vet that was referred to me by theshelter and ask her how to prevent the area with no fur to become asore and she said to line his cage with newspaper until it gross backor forms a callous. Do you agree or disagree?? wouldnt thatget really messy?

Cristy

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Icalled a vet that was referred to me by the shelter and ask her how toprevent the area with no fur to become a sore and she said to line hiscage with newspaper until it gross back or forms a callous.Do you agree or disagree?? wouldnt that get really messy?

Cristy
Sorry Cristy,

but I disagree with your Vets suggestion. To the best of my belief andknowledge the newspaper once soiled will become a breeding ground formore germs/infection. It is my opinion that if the foot is notbleeding/exhibiting an open wound. You should leave it to continuehealing with perhaps the continued treatment of antibiotic cream ifthey are aiding the healing process. I would not line the cage withNewspaper or Hay or any other item which might create more problemsthan you have at the moment. As always JMPO. I hope I don't start anycontroversy.

Dennis,C.V.R.

It's nice to have so many wonderful peopleanswering questions, and showing their concern. We sure have a greatcrew that i'm proud to be apart of! Thank you everyone!

-Lydia

Hi Dennis,

I didnt do it. It just didntseem as it would be a clean thing to do. Its not even a bigspot with no fur i might even be over reacting to it. Theywere keeping a small box for him to sit on and sometimes he is usingthe bathroom on that. Do you think i should remove that. I been adiffrent one in there and cleaning the stuff off of it.Theysaid he did really good with potty training. He is trying buti got a smaller little pan, i seen him doing the cutestthing. He has his head in the pan but his bottom is hangingover so thats why theres so many droppings down in the bottom close tothe pan. Silly rabbit.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back