Sore hocks??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor_wt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just noticed tonight that my bunny (1 year old male holland lop) has a very light pink bald spot on his heel area. Sounds like it’s sore hocks, although I don’t have experience or much knowledge in this area since he’s my first bunny. The area does not look raw or opened up and he is moving around completely fine (still running, binkying, jumping, etc.) and is eating/drinking/pooping totally normal. In fact, I wouldn’t have even known about this if I didn’t lift him to check his nails. It doesn’t look anything like the pictures on google and like I said, not raw but I’m still concerned and don’t want it to get worse. I will also mention that he is in a cage at night with the regular black tray (no wires in cage or litter box) and during the day he’s on tile or his blanket - not sure if that would have anything to do with this. Should I bring him in to the vet? Or are there any natural remedies I could try first? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

No need to bring him to the vet. You could try putting a blanket in the bottom of the cage. Some breeds are more prone to sore hocks than others. Can I ask why he doesn't have a litterbox in his cage at night? As long as they are not getting raw and inflamed there is nothing to worry about.

No need to bring him to the vet. You could try putting a blanket in the bottom of the cage. Some breeds are more prone to sore hocks than others. Can I ask why he doesn't have a litterbox in his cage at night? As long as they are not getting raw and inflamed there is nothing to worry about.

That’s a relief - thank you! He does have a litter box in his cage at night; I meant that there is no wiring/grates or anything over his litter box that should bother him.

Seeing a little pink skin isn't unusual. As long as it doesn't get red and inflamed or an open sore, there's nothing to worry about. I would just check it regularly to make sure it doesn't start getting sore.

Seeing a little pink skin isn't unusual. As long as it doesn't get red and inflamed or an open sore, there's nothing to worry about. I would just check it regularly to make sure it doesn't start getting sore.

thanks so much! I’ll definitely keep an eye on it!

I just got back from the vet with the exact same issue on my bunny, Pandora. She has red bald spots on her hocks, but not showing any signs of it affecting her. The vet suggested to keep her environment clean and soft, to rub some Bactroban on it, and monitor it so it doesnt get worse. Bactroban is a really good antibacterial cream. Apply a tiny bit in the morning and night, and rub it in well so they wont ingest it.
If you can, straw on the bottom of the cage is also a recommended option.

I just got back from the vet with the exact same issue on my bunny, Pandora. She has red bald spots on her hocks, but not showing any signs of it affecting her. The vet suggested to keep her environment clean and soft, to rub some Bactroban on it, and monitor it so it doesnt get worse. Bactroban is a really good antibacterial cream. Apply a tiny bit in the morning and night, and rub it in well so they wont ingest it.
If you can, straw on the bottom of the cage is also a recommended option.

This is very helpful! Thanks so much!

I would suggest not putting anything on it unless there is an actual problem. Reason is that sometimes applying ointments can actually cause a problem. It will make the fur greasy and compact it around the area, which affects the padding and protection it provides for the foot. It can cause the rabbit to excessively groom the area to try and get the ointment off, causing more aggravation to the area. It can also soften the skin when you basically want the skin to form a soft callous. I personally wouldn't put anything on unless there was a problem, and what I would do then depends on the severity of the sore hock.

I would suggest not putting anything on it unless there is an actual problem. Reason is that sometimes applying ointments can actually cause a problem. It will make the fur greasy and compact it around the area, which affects the padding and protection it provides for the foot. It can cause the rabbit to excessively groom the area to try and get the ointment off, causing more aggravation to the area. It can also soften the skin when you basically want the skin to form a soft callous. I personally wouldn't put anything on unless there was a problem, and what I would do then depends on the severity of the sore hock.

Ah, okay - makes sense! Thanks!

Back