Sore Hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
I was just cleaning Rub's butt this evening and I've seen she has got two rather angry looking lumps on her hocks. She's got a appointment at 8.45am tomorrow but she looks rather uncomfy and I want to help relieve her in the mean time, I've been hunting round on here about sore hocks but the search engine just died on me, I noticed alot of prep-H and "the blue stuff", I have no idea what they are and we don't have any. Weve got petroleum jelly and hydrogen peroxide but I though Hydrogen peroxide wasn't good??? So can I put the baby jelly?

Don't use hydrogen peroxide at all..it would hurt a lot andit isn't soothing
I think that you can use petroleum jelly for one night and maybe try to wrap a bandage around her feet to keep her from eating it.

some of the products here would not have the same name . we have something called bag balm that you could use. or even antibiotic gel like neosporin as long as you try to keep her from eating it.
do you have those products...?

I'll put some petroleum jelly on and wrap them with some of my knee wrap, I think it's vet wrap. I've never heard of bag balm or neosprin before, we have aspirin but thats not a cream....

went to the vet this morning and I SPECIFICALLY asked to have the American vet I had last time and not the other one who is completely clueless and overcharges for everything. But they give me the crappy one!! GAH! We went in and she didn't try to get Ruby out nicely, I usually get her out but instead she just grabs her by the scruff and yanks her out! :X She looked at her feet and said ahh went and got some Neotopic-H cream and put some on and ushered me out of the room. She didn't answer any of my questions and I was in there 2minutes (literally) and she charged me $49.80!!!!

I really should of said something, I feel quite weak knowing that I could of but I was running late for work anyway. Anyway, Ru gets the Neotopic-H twice daily and that's all, I tried making those little booties outta vet wrap but she had them on 2 min and they were off. There condo gets swept and sprayed down with a vinegar solution morning and night, she has her hay box densley packed with hay and bed plus I've put thick blankets down across most of their floor. Is there anything more I can do for her, she seems to be in a bit of pain and doesn't move much.......I read about compress's? Can anyone elaborate?

thanks for those links Angieluv (I don't know your name sorry), Looking at that last one it appears to be for humans, mine says animal use only and it's got a -H on the end.....Is this the same thing?

This is what the tube says.
Neotopic-H
Prescription Animal Remedy, for animal treatment only.
Antibiotic, Anti-inflammatory with local anesthetic.
Each g contains
Neomycin sulfate 5mg
Hydrocortisone 5mg
Lignocaine HCI 5mg.

For the topical treatment of infections caused by neomycin organisms and were anti-inflammatory action is required.

I had made those vet wrap booties but she just ripped them off so I'm going to pick up some gripped premie baby booties to see of those work better.

She has to apply the cream twice daily.
Thanks again.

No you're right I missed the H

thanks for correcting me

it is an antibiotic , with a cortisone for inflammation and a painkiller all in one.

i would not want my rabbit eating this but do the best you can with wrapping his feet .
if you need some nore help why don't you pm Bo bunny who has her rabbit;'s feet wrappd really well right now,

Thanks so much for your help, I'll pm Bo know and ask her about them.
I got my young stepsisters foam padded play mats like Jen has and I'm going to chop them so they fit the base of their condo and hopefully that will help.

Careful with the mats, though. I have to watch Elf carefully so that she doesn't nibble on the edges of them. The foam could probably cause a bad blockage if ingested.

Minda

Your the other person who has them, I was racking my brains thinking of who it was haha. Yeap I will, theyre not big chewers but to be on the safe side I'm going down to Mitre 10 Mega and getting some of that plastic edging stuff so they can't get at the sides IFYWIM.

Latest posts

Back