Sore Hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, I well I have my rabbits in a wire floor cage, but I have easy matts in there for them to rest on. Well a couple of days ago I noticed that Rayne is missing a little bit of fur on her back feet. I checked again today and it's the same. It doesn't seem to be getting worse but I'm not sure.

Is there anything I could do to help out her? :?

Karlee

So, are they exposed to the wire at all or it that completely covered up? Is there just some fur missing or do you see actual small sores? If no sores, should be fine. If there are sores, you can apply either Preparation H, Neosporin (without pain reliever) or you can purchase Bag Balm at Walmart. I'd make sure there aren't any areas that they are exposed to the wire, this will cause sore hocks;).

No, they aren't on wire. There is only easy matts down. They aren't like sores but they are just pink a little bit on the bottom. I'll make sure that I didn't miss any spots though. :)

But since they are just pink and a little furless (just in a little spot) should I do anything to them?

And thanks Bo B Bunny, that post helped.

FallingStar wrote:
Yes, they look like that Angel. Did you do anything about them?

I put Preparation H on them once. You can also use Neosporin without the pain reliever. Also, Bag Balm from like Walmart is good too.:)

Gonna wait to see if they need more as there is alot of fur on his feetsies!;)

I'll let you know, okay? Keep me posted on your issue as well;). We'll compare!:p

Won't hurt to try it and let us know how that's going. Sound good? Let us know what you do and your plan. If you can get a pic great! If not? No big deal.;)

If you can, put something else in there..... do they have litterboxes? what sort of litter?

If they won't pee on it, a blankie to get on is nice for sore hocks. I use fleece. Bo has grass mats and fleece over that. He doesn't even chew his grass mats now that he has the fleece over them. I give him another one to chew if he wants something like that.... but usually he's really just fine with his hay, pellets, toys and he blankies!

No, they don't have litter boexs but they do have a nest-boix full of hay...

And I'll probably just put some Neosporin on them and see if anything heals.

Bo B Bunny, I've had I blankie in there for them before and all the did was pee and poo on it.. So should I just put on in there anyways or just put more hay on the matts for more cushion?

FallingStar wrote:
I've had I blankie in there for them before and all the did was pee and poo on it.. So should I just put on in there anyways or just put more hay on the matts for more cushion?

I have bunnies that do that, too.

Litter training them will help a lot.

Put a litter pan in their cage and if they poop on the blankie, put the poops in the litter pans.
I use wood pellets for litter.
Eventually they will get the idea.
You may need to trade out the blankies and keep them clean so the buns don't think it's ok to pee & poop on them.

FallingStar wrote:
Ok, I well I have my rabbits in a wire floor cage, but I have easy matts in there for them to rest on. Well a couple of days ago I noticed that Rayne is missing a little bit of fur on her back feet. I checked again today and it's the same. It doesn't seem to be getting worse but I'm not sure.

Is there anything I could do to help out her? :?

Karlee

How are her nails?

Sometimes, if the nails get a little long, they can cause the bun to rest back farther on their hocks than usual....causing some different pressure and resulting in loss of fur and sore hocks.

Ok, today I put Neosporin on their feet. :) They thought it was kinda werid but they're ok with it.

And their nails are fine I guess. I going to have BlueSky (hopefully) come over and clip them for me me soon. I need to mail me and ask her about ot. But if/when she comes over I'll have her look at their feet again. :biggrin2:

JimD, I'm going to look into litter training my buns, if they were litter trained that would help me alot.

Rabbits litter train fairly well and easily. now we have those "poo to mark it mine" spells and we have an occasional accident. Bo will inevitably pee on my bed if he gets on it (he doesn't get to go in there at all unsupervised lol) and loves to make that on hubby's pillow!

He's always been very possessive of Mama!!

Clover is my best litterbox bunny. She is SO good about it in her cage that I can leave a large fleece blanket in there for her to lay on and get under (she makes this pocket sort of thing with it) and she won't even think of going potty on it!

Tony would pee and poop on any cloth in his cage.

Bo thinks there are "pee blankies" and "non-pee blankies"....... :craziness

I'm going to FallingStar's house this Saturday. I'm bringing toenail clippers and clipping the buns' nails and I'll look at their feet, plus I'll get a little neosporin for my own bunnies' sore hocks, hehe.

Emily

Latest posts

Back