sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chantelnicole

Reaction score
I recently contacted a lady about some netherland dwarfs she had for sale.

She told me the only showable jr buck she had, has sore hocks and she can't sell him at the moment.

Is this common in the breed or should I completely stay away?

Also he is a silver martin, can someone post of picture of what color that is.

thanks

I think this is a Silver Martin. If I'm right, I'll be excited.:D

This is NzMinilops, Sakura;). I believe, a Silver Martin:).

DSC00956.jpg

Sore hocks can happen when the bun doesn't have much fur on the feet, underneath. Rexes. Mini Rexes, are prone to this because of the lack of fur on their feet.

You can temporarily use Neosporin or something called Bag Balm to aid in the tenderness and redness.Put something on theoutside of that if you feel you need to or should;).

If the rabbit has sore hocks and you are looking for a buck to start yor breeding program, I would not get him. He may have "felting" issues that can be passed on to his offspring. You want a buck that doesn't have any healthy issues when he starts out...

BlueGiants wrote:
If the rabbit has sore hocks and you are looking for a buck to start yor breeding program, I would not get him. He may have "felting" issues that can be passed on to his offspring. You want a buck that doesn't have any healthy issues when he starts out...

I was under the impression that sore hocks was a condition that a rabbit could acquire due to living conditions, not something that is hereditary.

I'm not arguing your point at all, but is there an actual difference? I really don't know.

I guess I'm asking it as if...

Say your rabbit gets a nick on its ear. Thats an injury, but if no medication is introduced into its system should it be disqualified as a breeder, like a rabbit with foot problems?

I may be way off if sore hocks is genetically dispositioned but I'm not real clear on that, (and I'm not saying its good to breed rabbits with problems in case the thought arises in anyones mind).

ETA:

And on with the breeds prone to sore hocks, how do you choose who to breed if its common in the breed itself? You dont want to eliminate a breed due to being predispositioned to a condition so how do you sort out positive aspects from negative?

Sore hocks can be due tothe condition a bun is living in, but also, some buns are more likely to get it if they have thinner fur on their feet, which is hereditary. Hence why Rexes often suffer. If this buck has them, there is no saying why he has them, i.e. thin fur, or living conditions, or a combo of the both unless you see him and know what to look for.

ETA, I believe that to eliminate/limit the problem you would breed with the buns with thicker fur on the undersides of their feet and not from those who seem susceptable to them and have thinner fur.

I'm sure I remember BlueGiants saying something to that effect about her buns.

Sore hocks is usually from living conditions, being kept on the "wrong" flooring, but it's a "symptom" of poor fur (Felting) over the hocks.I'd like to say that only the huge, heavy rabbits get it, but little Mini Rex get it too. And they aren't putting a lot of weight on their hocks. Standard Rex can get it, Netherland Dwarfs can get it too... and Nethies were used to breed Standard Rex DOWN to Mini Rex.

I've seen sore hocks kill a rabbit that was kept in all the right "conditions". I've seen 18 lbs rabbits kept on wire with no problems.

If a rabbit (any breed) has a good thick layer of fur over the feet, (hocks, elbows, toes, etc.) their feet are protected.How many of us have seen/heard of infections starting in the feet and spreading to the point of causing severe illness or death. (Had an open sore on the hock, developed an abcess on the joint, abcess spread, now it's dealing with a full blown pasturella infection. They step in their own urine and feces. Their feet are pretty vulnerable.)

If a rabbit gets a nicked ear, it will heal. Even if it heals with a tear or a scar, the ear isn't under constant use the way feet are. Would I discount it asa breeder, certainly not. And I would not hesitate to suggest that someone buy a rabbit with a scar or healed injury to an ear. But the feet are different.

From the info that was offered, I can't say why the rabbit has sore hocks. And it's smart of the breeder not to sell it. But I wouldn't recommend that buck as a herd buck to start a line. Even if the feet heal. Once a rabbit has had sore hocks, youhave toconstantly be on the look-out for it. It will re-occur easily.

JMHO, The whole idea of breeding is to improve the breed, any breed. Over 10 years ago, when I started breeding the Blue Flemish, most of my rabbits had sore hock issues by time they were 2 years old. Didn't matter what type of floor they were kept on, solid, slatted, wire, rubber, straw, hay..... Today, it's very rare that I see sore hocks in my Flemish, from rabbits that I bred. I'm still working on the Mini Rex.

Flemish were never meant to reach maturity. 300 years ago, the breed wasused for meat. (I'm not being cruel, just stating the obvious). They were supposed to be raised to 12 weeks maximum, with only a few kept to maturity to breed. Now we want to keep them as pets. We want them to live a long healthy life. This is where breeding a better rabbit is so important. Not just to meet the Confirmation Standards of showing. Not just to have the biggest rabbit or the smallest rabbit. But to have a rabbit with as few health issues as possible. (There are enough diseases/injuries out there to compromise a rabbits health. If there is something I can do as a breeder to improve the rabbit so they are not suseptable to those diseases/injuries, it's good for the rabbit as well as the bunny owner.) And I've personally seen a lot of improvement in sore hocks with the right breeding.

:rant: Sorry, JMHO... I'll get off my soapbox now. :embarrassed:

You did a great job clearing that up! And believe me, I know what you mean about the flemish origins. Around here you can't find any that aren't "dressed" for sale. At times I can find breeders with heavy rabbits but the stock they offer tends to be in better taste, Californian/Flemish mixes.

I put an ad up months ago on an online classifieds site looking for a Flemish for my friend who wants one. The only reply I've ever gotten was from out of state (Arkansas) and then another a few weeks ago from someone who had purchased one a few weeks prior to that from someone in state that is still several hours from me.

Wow, I really like the replies and making me understand a WHOLE LOT.

The breeder told me the rabbit developed sore hocks from keeping him on a wire floor, which rubbed off the fur from his feet.

I'm definetely NOT going to get him. Again all the replies were great!

Latest posts

Back