Sore Hocks - Read but have a few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
Okay so I checked some links we have here and I was on the right path but I would like to clarify a few details if you don't mind... :)

- They say to compress tea bags? How long should these be used as compresses? Isany type of tea suitable?

- I have leftover Polysporin cream but I do not think I have enough for too long. I have seen Betadine here. Would that help? Would Preparation H be better?

- I looked at the bandage technique... How would I prevent him from eating it? How tight should it be? How would I know if it's too tight?

- How many times a day should I treat it? I don't want to fuss too too much and make it worse for him.

Thanks in advancefor the help!

Ive never rapped there feet i think it would just make them more irritated.. I use Preparation H cream or bag balm and put it on there like twice a day it has seemed to work ok..

Ive never rapped there feet i think it would just make them more irritated.. I use Preparation H cream or bag balm and put it on there like twice a day it has seemed to work ok..

Thanks :)I'll keep it in mind. I guess I'm just going to test a few things out and see how things go andadjust from there. :)I bought Betadine but I believe I do remember Bag Balm being available at the pet store so I will switch if not satisfied. Gah poor bunner. :expressionless

I would not use bandages unless it is just impossible otherwise. The Bag Balm will stay on pretty well by itself because it is so greasy--it's nearly waterproof. I don't use the tea bags so I don't know how you'd do that. I can't imagine getting a bunny to let me put tea bags on its sore hocks for any period of time. I think what Peppersmom said is a really good method. We had a bunny with quite bad hocks at the shelter and I asked them to put bag balm on daily. The comfort level of the other volunteers in doing any medical stuff is a bit limited, so I'm sure he did not get it every day. Nevertheless, it cleared up within a few weeks.

Lol ok thank you. I thought that's what the regular care was but then I got to reading all the links we have here and I was like "Whoa maybeI am not doing enough!" Alright then, well Jeff did a major clean of the hutches and we put some straw in an area so they have something softer than the plastic flooring and we also changed the water bottle and all plus put some cotton litter in so it should all be quite soft. :)

Thanks for the info guys. :biggrin:I'm glad to know I wasn't so badly off. Lol. When I read about the bandaging, I couldn't imagine Rolo not ripping it right off. :expressionlessThe good thing is the sores are already scabbing over and not hurting him much anymore. I hate having to apply cream on something sore. Bah...

Thanks again :)

Sore hocks are a problem that can easily become much worse without proper care. if they get infected it can spread all the way to the bone, and then there isn't much that can be done to fix it. my advice would be to take your bun to the vet, they may be able to prescribe an antibiotic cream for you, and can show you how to properly bandage your bun's feet. if you're worried about chewing they should have little head cones that can prevent him from reaching the bandages, but you take it off at meal times. they would also have a lot more info on sore hocks than i can provide in a message here :)

Violet23 wrote:
Sore hocks are a problem that can easily become much worse without proper care. if they get infected it can spread all the way to the bone, and then there isn't much that can be done to fix it. my advice would be to take your bun to the vet, they may be able to prescribe an antibiotic cream for you, and can show you how to properly bandage your bun's feet. if you're worried about chewing they should have little head cones that can prevent him from reaching the bandages, but you take it off at meal times. they would also have a lot more info on sore hocks than i can provide in a message here :)

A cone is very hard... my bun Sabriel is in a cone currently due to his broken leg. We have to take it off every couple of hours to feed him since they are grazers... he lost 4 ounces in a week because of the cone and we have to feed him extra sunflower seeds and oats to keep his weight up.

Bag balm is what I use on Sabriel's feet.

Yield, when I help with cat spays and neuters the vet recommends a soft cone for them instead of a hard one. It is "more like a tutu" that goes around the neck. That way they can see normally and I assume also eat normally. It might be worth looking into?

tonyshuman wrote:
Yield, when I help with cat spays and neuters the vet recommends a soft cone for them instead of a hard one. It is "more like a tutu" that goes around the neck. That way they can see normally and I assume also eat normally. It might be worth looking into?

Sabriel would have chewed right through it. :p It doesn't matter now anyways, he gets his cast off on Monday :biggrin: He's kept the same weight since he lost the 4 ounces though. He wasn't a skinny bunny- the vet just didn't want him to lose anymore weight and become one so that's why we have to feed him that stuff.

Well luckily we caught it early on so it's being healing up very nicely. The sores weren't toobad at all, mostly just irrtated skin so not open wounds. I've already told Jeff that we'll need to keep a close eye on it or we'll take them to the vet if it doesn't heal to my satisfaction. So far, it's been going very well though and we've been doubling our efforts on the hutches being very dry and clean so that helps. We've fixed all the bottle issues which I think were the source of the problem. :)It's definitely still an option but I think things are going very well for now. Thank you :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back