Sore hocks on unbroken front leg...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
Sabriel's front right foot looks like it's getting sore hocks? His left front leg is broken, so I see why.
His outside two toes, the fur is pushed back, and they're all red.
Once he finishes eating, I'm going to put his cone back on and put neosporin on them because someone on here told me I could do that for his back foot if he had sore hocks.

Anything else I can do?

It happens when they're immobile, or so my vet told me. Happened to my bun too when she became paralyzed. I don't think there's much you can do except put ointment on it and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected (Then you will need antibiotics.)

She still has hers but they never got infected so I just leave it alone since she has so many other problems. Maybe ask a vet or someone else here will know more.

jwark wrote:
It happens when they're immobile, or so my vet told me. Happened to my bun too when she became paralyzed. I don't think there's much you can do except put ointment on it and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected (Then you will need antibiotics.)

She still has hers but they never got infected so I just leave it alone since she has so many other problems. Maybe ask a vet or someone else here will know more.

That sucks that this happens when they're immobile Dx
I've been putting neosporin on it... he's actually on antibiotics right now, so yeah.

Thank you.

I will ask the vet on Monday when he gets his bandages changed.

Neosporin is fine to use as long as it doesn't contain any pain medication in it. I also really like Bag Balm for sore hocks.

tonyshuman wrote:
Neosporin is fine to use as long as it doesn't contain any pain medication in it. I also really like Bag Balm for sore hocks.

[align=center]Why can it not have pain medication in it?

The pain medication is not ok for the bunnies to lick off the wound.

tonyshuman wrote:
The pain medication is not ok for the bunnies to lick off the wound.

[align=center]Oh, well oops, I used the pain med kind... but he's got a cone on his head and by time we let him take the cone off for a bit, it's already wiped off on the paper towel in his cage and the carpet.

I'll be sure to not use it again though, and find some Bag Balm. Where can I get that? Is it expensive?

It is cheap-ish because it comes in a huge tin. They sell it at most Walgreens/other drug stores in the hand lotion section.

tonyshuman wrote:
It is cheap-ish because it comes in a huge tin. They sell it at most Walgreens/other drug stores in the hand lotion section.

[align=center]Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back